Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Child obesity & diabetes on the rise

Jim,

I think everyone will agree that the current status of children's fitness level is poor. I think your district is defiantly leading the way if each student gets P.E. everyday. We only meet once every 3 days.

In regards to holding a forum to discuss current fitness levels/trends....

From my experience, as a teacher, personal trainer and coach, people will find every excuse their is to not exercise. As a professional working in the fitness world, I think it is our responsibility to offer students more opportunities to exercise. A couple things we do to promote exercise and fitness are listed below.

1) Weekly intramurals for student looking for more exercise.
2) 5k Club (students train through the year and we all compete in a race. most parent join us)
3) family Fitness Night (lead a fun night where parents and student exercise together)

Hope this helps, I find students who have fun exercising are more successful in maintaining some sort of regular exercise.

Re: Child obesity & diabetes on the rise

NYS mandates that K-3 has PE everyday for 120 minutes a week or 25 minutes. Only a handful are able to have a Board of Education and Superintendent that believe its important to follow the Mandate and find the funds to do so. Unfortunately, the State doesn't punish those who aren't following it and the kids suffer because of that.

We are part of the handful in the State that does meet the mandate. For 6 years, I am in the K-2 building and we see every student, everyday for 30 minutes plus we see them for a Health class for 45 minutes every 6 days. I can't say the test scores have changed, but the kids look healthier. The PTA is very helpful and we try to do as much as possible with them to spread the message. The District Foundation Committee has a 5K and kids races in November that we train the kids for during class.

My kids school in the neighboring town has the K-5 kids run a marathon over 5 weeks at home with the parents help with a big kick off and finishing night event at the the HS Track with music and prizes.

I agree its has to be battled at home too. We can spread the message, but the families have to hear and follow the message too.