Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discussion Number One (1)

“Educational technology” is the use of current resources, which helps teachers use current technology in each lesson in order to achieve higher student learning. This technology includes computers, smart boards, grading systems with up to date process, along with twitter and blogs for outside class information.
Unfortunately I currently do not use technology in my physical education class so I am taking this course in order to find out how I can implement different technology in my classes.

The term “educational technology” can mean many different things. To me, it refers to the use of innovative resources to improve teaching and support learning. These resources can be as small as a microchip for storing data, or as large as a treadmill used for cardio fitness training.

My experience with technology has evolved throughout the years, from using a stopwatch as a timer, to using pedometers to measure steps and distances traveled. Our school utilizes an electronic grading program, our gym is equipped with a big screen, projector, and sound system, and our fitness room has treadmills and stationary bikes with computers to track speeds, distances and levels. These advancements in technology have been a tremendous benefit to my physical education program.

In this class I hope to learn ways to implement technology into my daily lessons. As our district moves to a new teacher evaluation system, based on the Danielson Model of Teaching, a strong emphasis is placed on the use of technology. Domain 3c states, “Teacher creates an environment in which students make use of technology to enhance their own learning and create their own products.” This is an excellent level of performance, which is my goal. : )

Your facility sounds great. We are currently building a new weight room at my high school. The hope is we convert the current weight room into a fitness room. Your facility sounds like something we could model.

To me educational technology is what we as educators can implement into our classrooms to advance them. Examples of this would be using tools given to us such as computers, iPads, apps, pedometers, web quests, and many more. We take that information adjust it and create it for our specific classroom needs and put it into action whether it's physical education or health classrooms.

As for my experience with the use of technology....I had considered myself "tech savvy" until taking this course....of which my mind was blown away with all that it encompasses. Throughout this course I'm hoping to take the knowledge gained and implement it into my curriculum and classroom.

Educational technology is the use of new technology to enhance student learning and assessment. The many facets of educational technology include the computers, the Internet, word processing, Power point, videos, and audios. In Physical Education, the items include pedometers, heart rate monitors, smart phone applications and much more. I have used pedometers and heart rate monitors in Phys Ed class for about 5 years now. I have incorporated student data sheets on a computer with these as well. In coaching, I have used Excel spreadsheets to collect and tract statistics for my teams. I have archived stats for the last 16 years so I can compile a "History" for my program. Team leaders for individual seasons and career have been established with this use.
I feel like I have a pretty decent grip on technology. I hope to enhance and build upon this knowledge so i can continue to adapt to student needs. I don't want to get passed by the students. They seem to know more and more about technology every day.

Educational technology is the ability to use technology to improve an individual's learning using a variety of equipment. As a coach, we have used video to prepare for future competitions by evaluating opposing players, techniques and team strategies. This allowed us to be better prepared as coaches to ensure that we provided our players with the best opportunity to play at a competitive level. Also, using game video allowed us to evaluate our own play and better align practices to work on the skills needed as a team, and as individual players, to improve as a whole.
In this course through reading, discussion, and message boards, I hope to find new strategies to incorporate technology into my physical education programs that will be the most beneficial to my students.

The term “educational technology” means using technology effectively in learning, especially in schools. Educational technology can be media, machines, and networking hardware. When I think of educational technology I think of the use of audio, videos, CD-ROM, cameras, computers, tablets, mobile devices, social networks, webcams, smartboards, and virtual classrooms.

I feel I have quite a bit of experience with technology because I grew up with it. In all of my physical education classes I use music to motivate my students to be active throughout the class period. Also, I have a camera that myself as well as the students use to take pictures during particular classes so we have candids of students being active. During certain units I have used YouTube videos and a projector to show students a new game, skill, or drill so they have a visual of what I am talking about. In grades 3-5 students have used iPads to videotape themselves performing particular skills so they can assess their performance against the skill cues and skill rubrics. I have used these videotapes as well to see where students have weaknesses and what skill aspects I need to focus more time on. In physical education I have my students in grades 6 & 7 wear pedometers to track how many steps they take throughout a class period and how many miles they have covered. They track this in a log every class period. In grade 6 I have students use laptops during my Picnic Games unit. The students need to use the Internet to research a picnic game, type up the history and rules of the game in a document, and then teach it to the class. In grade 7 I have students use laptops during my Create Your Own Game unit. The students need to be creative and come up with a new game, type the rules and objective into a document, and then teach it to the class.

In this course I hope to learn some new ways teachers are incorporating technology into their everyday physical education classes. Sadly, the school I work at recently got rid of the technology program because of budget cuts. I feel like it is my responsibility to expose kids to technology because that is where the future is headed. Also, I believe technology is a great teaching tool to help students learn in physical education. In this class I hope to learn about technology grants that are out there to help get more technology resources for my classes. Lastly, I hope this class will help me make some new connections through networking with teachers from all over as well.

Educational technology is any avenue that can enhance student learning. It is also a valuable tool and resource for teachers. My experience with technology has been slow. In my school we are finally in the 21st century. I will finally be able to incorporate some heart rate monitors in my classes. After learning about all the software available from this course, I am excited to try new things.

In your own words define the term "educational technology" and describe its many facets. What is your own experience with the use of technology in physical education and/or coaching? What do you hope to accomplish in this course?

Educational technology can have many forms from something as simple as a learning video to using computers, IPads and phones to aid in the learning process. The definition would be simply, the use of technology tools to aid in educational purposes.

I have not done much with technology in my classes except with some computer assignments. I have been researching how to implement technology in a proper manner for my classes. I hope to try out an assignment or two in my classes this year.

In this course I hope to gain the desired knowledge and information to help myself and my students utilize their 21st century skills.

Karen Pineda

In your own words define the term "educational technology" and describe its many facets. What is your own experience with the use of technology in physical education and/or coaching? What do you hope to accomplish in this course?

"Educational Technology" is the use of tools for teaching and learning. These tools can be anything from a cell phone to a speaker to a heartrate monitor to an electronic white board. There are countless ways to use technology for educational purposes.

My experiences with the use of technology in physical education are endless. One example is for daily lessons in our weight room. The room is equiped with a sound system and speakers that can connect to student phones, ipods, ipads, teacher devices, computers etc.
The room also has a video monitor that connects to teacher ipads, pds, and computers. This is used for daily lesson objectives, watching dvds and videos, apps such as Coach's Eye and Yoga Studio, student vidoe assessment, etc.
We also have ipads and computers for all staff and students. Students use apps on their own personal devices to track workouts, weights, progress, etc.
Students use apps to help with pacing for running/walking, track distance and effort in run/walks and for music to motivate.
We use online polls for assessment of student learning and preassement before many lessons. I could go on and on.

I am hoping to extend my personal knowledge on technology and PE through this course. It would be nice to collaborate with other teachers to learn what they are using in their schools.

Jennifer, WOW, good for you and the school you are at. I am amazed after reading your post how up to date the weight room is for your students use. Your current situation is what most of us would dream about. I hope you are having a good experience with all that you and your students have available.
I share a similar interest in networking with other teachers who have access to similar resources. With some healthy collaboration the sky is the limit for your students. Do you have any limitations or concerns with the level of technology you are using?

George

educational technology is any form of technology used to instruct or enhance the learning environment. In our PE classes we use, I phones for attendance and email. We use computers and projectors for PowerPoint presentations and videos. Our students are allowed to use their cell phones for research on projects in class as we don't always have access to the laptop carts that the school has. We use televisions to show videos that enhance the learning of students by showing how what we are talking about in class can play out in the real world.

"Educational technology" is the effective use of technology for learning in school systems. The technology tools can include media, machines and networking hardware. The tools can be applied in different ways to meet the needs of students, the school requirements and to benefit the effectiveness of the teacher. It is important for teachers to be educated on the types of technology available to them in their schools and to keep informed on the tremendous improvements, applications, and impact technology has made on students on a daily basis.

In the past, I was very limited with technology at the schools I worked at with many budget cuts. But I used a lot of my personal technology to keep organized and it made my teaching more effective. When I taught my dance lessons I used my computer to mix music, create cues, and made videos of student work. In other lessons I would use my iPad to input data into the grading system my school used. This I found to be easier than writing down what I observed and adding it into the system after class. If I continued in this school system I would have requested a purchase of this technology for my department to eliminate the use of my personal technology.

I am in a new school system-this is my second year at this high school. By taking this course, I hope to learn about new technology available and ways to apply the technology to my physical education classes. As new new teacher in my department I hope to find ways to improve my department., curriculum and methods of instruction. I would like to pass on information I find to my colleagues. As I am in my seventh year of teaching. I feel it is important to use technology as much as possible as long as it is in a positive and appropriate way. I would like to learn about new applications (apps) to be applied in physical education classes and in coaching.

In my opinion, the term educational technology is the use of electronic devices to help a person learn. Educational technology is a very broad term that changes everyday as the industry evolves. It can be something as basic as a digital gradebook and advanced as a slow-motion camera that gives instant feedback. In the physical education setting I have used technology to track heart rate, steps, record movement/form for assessment, provide instructional video, and have used a video game system to teach the students dance. Technology has also provided me a means to allow remote collaboration (Google Docs/Classroom) and to connect with other physical educators around the world (Twitter).

Through this course I hope to learn new ways to incorporate technology into physical education classes to hook/motivate the 21st century learner. Since I am teaching elementary students I'd like to find uses that are easy to implement so that the students can take control of their learning.

Although I teach high school students, I also feel that technology is a must for the 21st century learner. Students are so connected to electronics that without incorporating current and new technology students can lose interest quickly. Also with the instant connections through twitter and other forms students and teachers can stay up to date with colleagues around the world.

Educational technology is anything that has electronic functions, traditional or nontraditional, which may be used to help students learn. In an "academic" classroom setting this in the past has included computers, projectors, tvs, and dvd players(or vhs tape players previously). In the gymnasium Physical education teachers are now using a myriad of technology. We have used the previous items and sound systems for years. Now with the prices and advancement of technology we use heart rate monitors and other wearable technology, step counters, IPADs or other tablets, a ton of apps for many activities, hand held gps, and cameras for both video analysis of skills and for strategic adjustments in games.
In this class I hope to expand my use of some of these technologies to engage my students and for them to realize that there are many ways to use technology to increase their fitness not just for entertainment.

Educational Technology to me refers to any electronic devices that can aid in execution of a lesson or inspiration for a student to discover an avenue toward success of the content provided. Any technology that assists with the learning outcome or the environment the student is in would be considered educational.

From clocks to GPS systems, as I use in PE, students are continually given more instant feedback on their performance. We can use a variety of apps on our smart device to aid in keeping track of time or digitizing our skills for an analysis with slow motion video. I never thought about it before, but I use technology in my classroom and on the field everyday. My smart phone can email or call a students parent immediately from our school's system and be used a moment later with an app that will change teams randomly, and again with only a change of the icon switch to "Coach's Eye" to evaluate a baseball swing. Think of the equipment that we would have needed for that all to happen 15 years ago. There are more resources out there than I can use in a given unit or season. I enjoy learning about newer tools to help improve my teaching and coaching.

I hope to accomplish a continuing familiarity with different technology as to improve my comfort levels and likelihood I will add these technology tools to my classroom and training facility to improve my student/athlete's experience. I want to learn new "tricks of the trade" too!

Hey George,

I also have used coach's eye to evaluate student skills/performance and to give instant feedback. My students enjoy getting that instant feedback on what did well and what need to improve. What are your thoughts on the app? Do you use any other apps for providing feedback?

Educational technology is the use of tools, techniques and processes to enhance student learning. Technology in the classroom can be used in various ways. Technology used in Education helps to increase student motivation, enhance teaching practice and promote critical thinking. Students enjoy the use of technology in physical education classes, especially the use of step counters, iPads and dance videos. Teaching practices are enhanced by technology to organize planning, use visual aids to increase student learning and for assessment purposes. Technology can be used to help students think critically. Apps on the iPad can increase student learning.

My first experiences with technology was the use of heart rate monitors and step counters. Recently, I received a grant for 1 to 1 iPads for all my students. I have used several apps for the iPad such as swork-it, balance it, i-muscle, coaches eye and seesaw. I use the apps to evaluate student's skill level, for instant activities and to store student work. The use of iPads has made it easier to integrate reading, writing and math in my curriculum.

I hope to enhance my knowledge of using technology in the classroom by researching various tools, reading what other educators are currently doing and evaluating common trends.