Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discussion Number Five (5)

Telecommunication is the process of sending and receiving data with an electric device. The only telecommunication that I currently use is email, in which I communicate with other faculty members or parents. Some potential applications that telecommunication can have is by sending important information to students, parents, and colleagues in real time. Some telecommunication tools that can be used are twitter for class information, flicker to post pictures of skills presented in class, and live streaming where you can interact with other classes throughout the country.

Telecommunications is the transfer of information between two distant places via electronic, radio or light signals. My experience with telecommunications includes telephones, cell phones, two-way radios, email, chat rooms, Websites and blogs, such as this one.

Communication is a critical element, needed to keep a school running safely and successfully. I carry a two-way radio with me whenever I take my PE classes outside. Its main purpose is for emergencies, but it comes in handy to check on students and to let the office know if class is running late. We sometimes take our classes to a park about two blocks from school. Since our radios do not always transmit good signals from this distance, I carry my personal cell phone. Email is our school’s primary method of communicating with staff. I also use it to contact parents. However, it’s important to avoid including personal information about anyone (staff or students) because all emails end up in cyberspace and may be retrieved through FOIA (Freedom of Information Act).

I plan to start a blog on my website to allow students and parents to communicate with me and other community members on topics that relate to my curriculum. Again, it’s important to monitor these carefully. I am not registered on Facebook, Twitter or similar sites because I’m concerned about security. I do not trust social media, mostly because I do not know enough about it, but I’ve heard some horror stories.

Lastly, I plan to upload podcasts and vodcasts to my website that include skill demonstrations and other information pertaining to my current unit of instruction. This will be helpful to students who miss class because of illness, injury, pullouts, or other reasons. It will also allow parents to see what their children are learning in PE class.

Telecommunications is the ability to communicate with others via technology. My experience with telecommunications has been mostly through students and parents communicating through the use of email. Also, students participating in discussions on message boards or working collaboratively on Google Docs.
Telecommunications can be used in a variety of ways including sharing projects, weekly newsletters, and a teacher created webpage where students collect and chart data to be analyzed in the classroom.

Telecommunications is communicating with someone through the use of technology. I have had some experience with telecommunication. I frequently use my cell phone and email to communicate with people. I have used two way radios and Skype before.

In physical education you can use cell phones and/or a two way radio when classes are outside. If a student is injured or needs medical attention you can radio or call into the office. Another scenario is if a stranger is on school grounds while your class is outside you could radio or call into the office to notify them. You can use email to communicate with families about what is going on in your P.E. classes or notify parents of upcoming events you put on. Also, you can communicate through email to let parents know how their child is performing in P.E. or let them know if there is a concern with their child. Thinking outside the box maybe you could Skype with another physical education teacher or class either locally or with others far away. Maybe students could teach other students skills or a new game through Skype or learn about another school’s P.E. program. That might be interesting to set up in the future.

Telecommunications is using some form of technology to communicate with someone. Experiences I have had with these started with a telephone and a desktop computer at home. If I wanted to talk to my friends, I would call them. Now students can use chat rooms, twitter, cell phones, face time, and others to talk or message someone. At school I use a desktop computer and a laptop to communicate sometimes.
In school some ways to use telecommunications could be using a web page for classes or sports. Keeping the community involved in the school. The internet has helped students get access to information, so having students search for topics and writing or creating a project. Videoconferencing can be used for research on different countries by talking to a person from the country. WE learn new ideas from blogs and websites to help enhance our classrooms.

Telecommunication is the use of machines or equipment to communicate with one another, telephones, satellites, hand held radios, and now wireless devices. Telecommunications have come a long way and are a necessary part of our world. In our department there are 8 teachers and the need to communicate with each other and the office can be vital so we have hand held radios, however, they are heavy and cumbersome making it difficult when trying to teach a physical lesson. Hopefully in the near future they will become smaller and easier to carry. Now that just about everyone has a cell phone we are able to send out reminders through an app that you can have students and parents download and simple messages can be sent out and allow parents as well as students to stay on top of assignments or upcoming events.

What is telecommunications? What experiences have you had with telecommunications? Describe some potential applications for telecommunications in physical education or coaching.

Telecommunications is transmission of information. A sending and receiving of information.
Telecommunications used to be alot different. We could only communicate through a phone or 2 way radio. Now, there are so many methods of telecommunications. Some examples are; email, texting, phone, facetime, skype, snapchat, instant message, video game chats, document sharing, and electronic conferences.
I experience most of these daily at home and or work.
In physical education we can use phones and radios to communicate from our outdoor teaching stations. Email is the preferred method of communication with parents as opposed to phones in the past.
Teachers can comment on student work with online document sharing. Students in PE can comment on website posts or social media (edmodo) to communicate with each other and teachers.

Telecommunications is when you speak to people on the phone. I speak to people on the phone every day whether it is on my cell phone or on land line.

Telecommunication is communicating with the use of technology from two points such as two-way radios and cell phones. I use my cell phone on a daily basis. In physical education, teachers can use cell phones and/or a two-way radio when classes are outside. If a student is injured or needs medical attention, a teacher can use the radio or call into the office. Safety concerns and procedures such as lockdowns and school evacuations are regularly practice at my school and telecommunication is required. You can use email to communicate with families regarding grades, behaviors and let parents know how their child is performing in class. A creative idea can be a potential application is physical education teachers within the department can use telecommunication for tournaments, class vs. class competitions, and scavenger hunts.

Telecommunications can be defined as "communication over a distance by cable, telegraph, telephone, or broadcasting". It is when there is an exchange of information through the use of technology. In today's world, most communication that is not done face-to-face would fall under this category. The phone, email, online social networking, and even this course would be considered telecommunication.

In my physical education class I use telecommunication in many forms. When needed I communicate with the nurse and front office with a walkie-talkie. I send email, post messages on Twitter, and keep an eboard. I have the ability to send parents text messages through a service called Remind 101.

I would also consider using Spotify as telecommunication. I am telling the service what music I would like to listen to and they then provide me with the music. At the same time they also make recommendations of what music they think I would enjoy.

Telecommunications, specifically Twitter, has enabled me to connect with physical educators around the world. I am able to search for others with common interests and exchange lessons and ideas. Telecommunications is a great way to bring everyone closer and create a professional network.

Telecommunications is any way of electronically communicating between 2 parties. In our school administrators have walkie-talkies to communicate with each other, the office, and other district sites. We(PE teachers) have used simple walkie-talkies to communicate to each when outside the school building where we might be spread out. Other forms of telecommunications we use are our cell phones, email, our attendance and grading programs, and google classroom. Messages are sent to students, parents, and teachers from anywhere you have reception whether it be wifi or hard wired into the internet. All parties involved can look at grades, assignments, or announcements. Recently we have started using the Remind program. This allows us to have "text" message sent out to all "enrolled" in class or sports. This allows students, parents, and teachers/coaches to send messages without having to know someone else's phone number. This allows phone numbers to stay private.

What is telecommunications?
Technologies that send information over distances. Mobile phones, land lines, satellite phones, radio, television and networks are a few examples. However in this day and age we are incorporating our smart devices as a main tool of use in order to communicate with our students. Internet pages on the web, applications specific to your teaching, video recording movement analysis, webinars, Facetime/Skype video chatting and much more seem to be the new and growing telecommunications.
Potential applications for my PE class or coaching right now have to be video analysis. The kids enjoy recording themselves in slow motion film and look at focal points of movement to see where they have mastered the skill or need help. The other obvious tool we use is a GPS tracker for time and distance in a workout. I have lessons on pedometers and Heart Rate Monitors as well.

Telecommunications is the communication over a distance by cable, telegraph, telephone, or broadcasting. As a physical educator I communicate using my cell phone by calling/texting staff members, and parents. I also use email to communicate with staff members, and parents as well. I also communicate with my students by using google classroom. I post videos, assignments and announcements through google classroom. I know Skype and webinars are becoming more common. Teachers have used webinars to inform educators on instructional practices.