Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Improperly dressed elementary P.E. students

The P.E. teachers district wide are trying to agree on what to do when a students is improperly dressed. Some make the student complete worksheets, some let them walk laps and do simple exercise such as push up and sit ups. I in the past have tried a little of both depending on the grade level. Is there some way I could have something technology related as a consequence without it being seen as a reward by the other students?

Re: Improperly dressed elementary P.E. students

Taylor,

We run into the same problem at my Elementary School. Here is the procedures we have put in place.

3rd, 4th and 5th graders

If unprepared with P.E. Clothes or medically excused, they must takes notes via pen and paper, or most choose to use their school issued laptop.

The note most include the warm-up preformed (what areas of fitness we covered)the skills or Objective of the day and any Cues or Instruction that was given.

During Closure (checks for understanding) I always make sure to call on them to make sure they were learning during the class

At the end of class they must hand in the notes. If the notes are sufficient, they will get credit for the class.

K, 1, 2 Students

Most often I let these students participate if their clothing permits. I follow up with a generic letter home for parents. If they are unprepared 2 days consecutively I call home.

Hope this helps,

Matt Nentarz

I like the idea of sending a generic letter home for the parents. Often times when I try to call home I reach an answering machine, so this would be a good way to reach a parent.

3/5/15

Taylor,

At the end of each semester during locker clean out we keep the better shorts, shirts, shoes, warm-ups and other apparel, and have them cleaned. We store them and if students forget or simply do not want to dress or perhaps they cannot afford to buy clothes or shoes, we bring them out and they participate.

It is to the point now with our students that they know we have clothing and shoes so they dress instead of trying too get out of certain activities.

If they refuse to utilize our clothing or shoes then a call is made home to the parent/guardian and this usually takes care of the problem.

Thank you.

Dean W. Tutas