Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Heart rate monitors

When our program was implemented 10 years ago, we were able to purchase 40 Polar Heart Rate monitors. The major reason we were able to purchase these was because we repackaged our program. We combined our Physical Education and Health classes into a holistic program called Wellness. During this change over we were able to put in a resistance training facility and get some fantastic non-traditional exercise equipment along with technology (HR Monitors).

Our program was extremely lucky, but we did have to sell our content area hard. If you want it, you will have to look for some type of grant money. The great thing is that HR monitors have become much cheaper. Some just read HR's and others download an entire workout. For the grant, we had to determine how student learning would improve.

One thing that I definitely noticed is that a teacher can definitely determine the level of effort a student is demonstrating by tracking a student's work out. Students love using them and are constantly looking to see if they are in their THRZ. If I had the money, I'd lend it to you.

Hope is works out: All the best!!!

Re: Heart rate monitors

We were able to purchase Heart Rate Monitor system (Polar Cardio GX) through the PEP Grant that we won. It is a pretty school concept...each student gets their own heart rate monitor (strap). There is a projected screen of what everyone is doing. This holds them accountable to actually working out. It shows if they are green, yellow or red. Can be easily emailed to parents who are concerned over their child's participation grade. Biggest problem we have faced was cleaning the straps/monitors between classes.