Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Technology Question 6

The one piece that we use religiously in our PE classes is a laptop, projector, and speakers. Because we are teaching the students how to do new sports we have an introductory lesson that explains how the game is played with video. We have found that many of our students need to see how certain things are don, for example a pass in volleyball. This can be explained to them but they understand much better when there is a visual along with it.

I agree with you. We started doing this with new activities with our students. It can give the visual learner a greater understanding of the skills necessary. It can also give students an idea of what the activity should look like.

Beside the obvious use of a timer or digital clock to transition activities,
I like to use an ipad. After a brief explanation of the activity I follow with a demo using the students in class. If students want to know more or need further examples we gather around using the ipad (or their personal computers when applicable) to add visual credibility.

I forgot to add that we have pedometers and HR monitors, but most students opt to use their smart phones with GPS to track movement and pace/speed on a run. They enjoy checking their progress.

We use heart rate monitors with our classes. It is a great way to track students effort level when working on cardiovascular training. Although some students may "look" like they are doing very little, with the HRM their heart is working extremely hard. HR Moniotrs can make class much safer for those student who are not in very good shape.

I use my ipad all the time. It helps me keep track of my students by taking attendance. I use it to take photos of students in action. I can access web material and use it to display content with my projector.