Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Elective class

When starting new classes and electives make sure to be open with the flow of the lessons, things may not run as smoothly as planned which can happen in any class/lesson. When I introduce a new elective to high school students, sometimes they are resistant to trying something new, however once they participate and are actively engaged they end up really enjoying the activities. As high school teachers, it is our job to provide students with life long activities and continue to teach them to work respectively with others. They definitely like when you ask for their opinions and suggestions of what they would like to learn. I usually will get a feel for what the students are looking to learn and explain to them what my goal of the class is and find a happy medium. Being over prepared is better than under prepared. The students will appreciate your efforts and know that you care about them.

Just to preface, I'm an elementary PE teacher but I do mentor HS students.

How are the recreational games and sports being chosen? Have students had any input in what games they might like to participate in? I would also keep the games current. For instance, Spikeball has become extremely popular. Also, how long are you going to switch activities? The biggest complaint about the high school program here is that the activities are too long; the kids want a variety. Is there a way to create games that are similar to something they can do outside of school but keep it different? Create something exciting that they would not be able to get elsewhere.

I'm a HS PE teacher and we came full circle, from allowing choices 10 years ago to a sport model where we went on 3 week units of the majority of popular sports, to a fitness model and back again with allowing students to choose.
Jason and Jessica have good points to consider and I echo the same thoughts. I can tell you that we have had the most luck with putting students in tracks that they create. Team sport, individual sport, fitness, and weight training were made available and the students could choose their classes and the duration of these classes within the semester. After the first year we even allowed them to cross over to other tracks assuming we had the facility and a teacher willing to teach whatever subjects the students preferred.