Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discussion Number Three (3)

I started using computers in elementary school at home for homework and using programs to help introduce me to typing such as “Type to Learn.” At work I have always used a computer. My home computer is a 2011 13-inch Mac Book Pro. It has a 2.8 GHz Intel core i7 processor, 4 BG 1333 MHz DDR3 memory, and Intel HD Graphics 300 384 MB Graphics. The software the Mac uses is Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5. At work I use a 2005 Dell Computer. It has an Intel Dual Core 2.6Ghz processor, 4GB of memory and a Windows XP Professional - 17" inch monitor. The printer I use at work a HP LaserJet 2200dn laser printer.

At home I use my personal laptop mainly for listening to and downloading music, social media, editing pictures, and researching personal interests such as shopping, places to travel, etc. Sometimes I will bring my personal computer to work when I am on duty in the hallway for an extended period of time and also when I am mixing music for my dance classes and making playlists for school tournaments such as the Annual Senior Badminton Tournament. At work I use my computer to take class attendance, input grades and data, check and send emails, work on lesson plans, and work on my Fresno Pacific classes. I would like to use my school computer more for researching new ideas for activities to offer my students and to keep up to date with applying other popular technology such as Google Drives and Google Classroom to my everyday work life.

Obstacles can be having minimal time in front of my computer during the school day. My office (in the locker room) is where the computer is and being in different locations for class sometimes makes it challenging. If students have questions about their grade in class sometimes it is difficult to discuss the information with the student because the computer is not available, also only the girls can be in my office. A way to overcome this obstacle is to use portable devices such as iPads and also encourage students to download the application Infinite Campus (grading portal the school system uses) to see grades they are able to check up on classes and message me with concerns. This year, having a study hall duty in a classroom every other day has helped me keep on top of my grades. Scheduling time throughout the school day and at home is an efficient way to use technology productively.

I remember having a computer for most of my life. My parents purchased me a Commodore 64 computer that I would be able to play games on. The games were either from a cartridge or a floppy disk. From there my family purchased a x386 computer that had both DOS and Windows 3.1. As a child computers were mainly for games. In middle school I began using them for word processing, encyclopedia, and was an active participant in chatrooms on mIRC, Prodigy, and AOL. Even though technology quickly progressed through the 1990s my reasons for a computer did not.

As an adult I mostly use the computer for work. At work my computer has an Intel Core 2 Duo at 3.00 Ghz with 4 GB ram and is running 64 bit Windows 7. I use the computer for email and calendars, maintaining my eboard (school webpage about me and my class), word processing and documents, lesson planning, record keeping, and for social media. I also use Spotify to manage my music that is played in class. I am not sure what else I'd like to be able to do with the computer. It has been able to meet most of my professional needs.

At home, I do not have a computer. My home computer has been replaced with my iphone. I am able to email, word process, listen to music, sync photos, video edit, and anything else I can think of with specialized applications.

I was trained on the Macs with floppy drives when I was growing up through middle school. We never had a computer at home and my first full time use of a computer was at the college library each night. When I began working in 2002 we had desktops in every classroom. As mentioned in the previous post I now work with a smartboard and all students are 1:1 with iPads.
My personal computer is a little dated, but I'm using a Gateway laptop with 4 GB DDR3 Memory, 500 GB HDD, Intel-Core i5-2430M, with blu-ray disc, and a 15.6" LCD screen with a webcam. My school has discouraged photo copies and we instead convert files into PDFs or downloadable images for the students device, while at home I have a 3in1 Scanner, fax, copier. My home computer is used for games, bills, research, entertainment, and work. I'd love to have network access to my work materials while at home. This is in the works. The obstacles of sharing data have already been answered with 3rd party drop boxes or clouds. This allows access wherever and whenever.

George you could also share files through google drive as long as your school has a gmail account and you have one at home as well. I don't use Cloud storage very often but if you have lots of pictures and music that is also a great option.

There were no home computers when I was growing up, we did have an Atari game system but that was it. It was not until well into my adult life that computers came into use both at home and at school. My first home computer had less that 1G hard drive.
My current school computer is a HP ProBook 15" with 500G hard drive. it has a i3 1.7Ghz processor. It also has a dvd burner, multiple USB slots, a SD card slot, 1 HDMI slot, a port for connection to a projector, a built in camera, and a jack for headphones. It is also both wireless capable and Ethernet capable.At school we are connectd to network printers and have LCD projectors for use with our computers. We have a portable camera that can be connected by HDMI.
My home computer is an ASUS 17" with Intel i7 processor, dvd burner, multiple USB slots, a SD card Reader, a HDMI port, a firewire port, a built in camera, head phone jack,is wireless and Ethernet capable. At home I have a multi-function printer connected to my home network.

We did not have a home computer until I was in high school. The only thing I can remember is it was a Dell, and we used dial-up for internet which was really slow. We had access to a printer and scanner a few years after we got our first computer. I can remember printing off assignments for school and scanning papers for college.

Currently, I use an iPad and and a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 4GB at home. I use my iPad for surfing the internet, downloading iTunes, and checking email. I use my MacBook to organize my online lesson book, keep track of my calendar, send emails, and grade assessments. I also have an iPhone that does everything my iPad does but with a smaller screen. I don't really have a need for anything else right now.