Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discussion Number Two (2)

Ron,

I think that is great you use audio and video in almost every class for teaching. As I am developing my curriculum as a new teacher in my building one goal I am working on is using more video to show my students. I find they learn the best visually and especially in physical education. That is awesome you were able to stream videos through Netflix and Amazon. How did you end up doing that? That is very creative and thinking on the spot if equipment fails or is not accessible/available. We are getting a Smart TV in our fitness center and I hope to show more videos for my fitness units. It is also good the students are accepting of the obstacles, many times they like to help and will creative with you too.

Thanks for your ideas.

-Jess

I have used audio and video in my teaching during my fitness classes for tenth graders. The ten grade students have state required fitness testing and for teaching proper technique and improving pre-test scores for the curl-up and push-up assessment, the audio and video use is a major contribution to the successful post-test scores. At the beginning of the unit, I like to show a video of the break down of skill cues needed to perform a proper push-up and curl-up. The audio used in class is a recording of the cadence and count of the number of push-ups and curl-ups. Students practice using the audio during class to prepare them for the post-test at the end of the course.

There have not been any obstacles present with using this audio and video technology. I would like to create a powerpoint presentation, adding more information to give to the students. I can display this on the new "smart TV" put in my school's fitness center. Showing this to students in class is simple and for the most part there are no obstacles. If there are technological difficulties, the use of google classroom or even email is helpful for the students to access the audio and video information at home on their own. This is a creative way to overcome any obstacles that may happen in class or if technology to display the audio and video is not available or accessible.

I use music everyday when my lasses are inside. The students know that when the music is playing they are to engage in activity and when the music stops to cease activity. I initially had all my music run through an ipod connected to the room's speaker system. The only drawback was that I was tied to a location in the gym to start and stop the music. Now, I use Spotify. Spotify is open on a computer and on my phone. I am able to start and stop the music from wherever in the gym and not be tied to a location to start/stop. I would like to purchase a powerful bluetooth speaker to be able to bring music outside.

I have also used an app on my ipone called Seconds. It is an interval timer that works with Apple Music. I can set periods of activity/rest/rounds. I use this in class for stations and for Field Day. There is a pro version that is well worth the couple of dollars.

I have not used too much video in class. However, I have made PowerPoint presentations that models fitness activities for students and have found games on Twitter/YouTube that has a visual demonstration. I have also incorporated Dance Dance Revolution, a video game, into the curriculum. Currently, I am experimenting with a slow-motion camera that can be used to analyze form for various movements. I would like to purchase an Xbox One and use the Kinect.

The only obstacle I have found is funding for video equipment. I am trying to use existing resources in the school, i.e. ipads and student phones, to implement the slow-motion camera.

I have not heard of Seconds before but it sounds like a great app. We have IPAD minis at school so I am going to see if the app will work with them. Also if yo have IPADs, I'm not sure if it will work with your Iphone, the app Hudl Technique allows students to film themselves and replay it in regular or slow motion. You might want to check it out.

I have used both audio and video in class. We have a portable sound system that has a microphone jack on it. I have used it for directions doing step aerobics and with a projector for doing a variety of exercise videos. I also have used a projector in the classroom to show videos for introduction of activities: rules, introduction to skills, advanced skills, or new activity highlights. In the gym I have used the projector and sound system with either my computer or an IPAD to show exercise videos that the class can follow either as a big group or smaller groups that are working on individual exercise plans.
If I could
As with anything money is always an issue to obtaining equipment. If money was no object it would be nice to have a projector, sound system, and computer mounted/stored in the each teaching space versus moving things on a cart. Also a really nice camera/program to analyze skills and movement accessible immediately on a big screen. In our district most items are purchased through our budget process. But other ways to obtain items is applying for grants or possibly through local companies.

Wanda, I think its great that you use audio and video in your classes. If money wasn't an issue (as you mentioned and as we are to dream) you want a better way to use the audio and visual systems for wherever you are, right? Me too! As Jason mentioned in his post he uses Spotify which I also have done and in the right setting is nice to have. I'm thinking of combining your ideas and wishing for a versatile indoor/outdoor speaker/projector that can provide music for activity, videos on the school walls, both in the gyms and on the building outside, to aide the students in instructional activity and post Heart Rates among other data. Maybe even a spot on the back of our baseball dugouts that can provide another teaching area. Without getting ahead of myself, how about Youtube style access to holograms and sound? We just might get there sooner than you think. Good Luck with your teaching?

George

Yes, I have used the basics from when I began teaching with a television/VCR combo or the projector screen to assist my lessons. Now I have a smartboard that I can control with my tablet. How far we have come in 15 years.
If I need to show a "movie" to the class, I can actually chop up the important info and have the students all see it on their devices in the classroom or if they are at home sick or need extra time at home a link is provided to allow the learning to continue even when I am unavailable to the students. I can record my lessons as a presentation and students or parents can go back and see exactly what we talked about in class that day.
With a grant (thank goodness no more bake sales, cookie drives, walk-a-thons to raise money)that our district received I am able to use most of what is available out there to assist my teaching. Smartboards in the room and all students 1:1 with an iPad make so much possible. Previously, as much as 2 years ago, I would say that do to limited resources we were teaching pen and paper style only. Money was the huge break through and then we all received the training we needed, so our limitations are really individualized by our motivation to use what is open for us.

I use videos quite a bit in my teaching. I have used videos to illustrate skills, such as a jump shot in basketball. I recently showed a video on volleyball to show my students how to move on the court. At the end of the school year, I started to show videos my students made to their peers. For example, I showed 2nd graders a video of 4th graders playing a new game to help them understand the rules and game procedures. The obstacles I had to overcome was request a cart with a LCD projector, and speaker. I housed the cart in my office. I had to allow other teachers borrow my cart at different times throughout the school year which made planning challenging. I came up with a schedule for teachers to fill out to help coordinate when I had the cart and when I didn't.