Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discussion Number One (1)

Educational technology is anything that has electronic functions, traditional or nontraditional, which may be used to help students learn. In an "academic" classroom setting this in the past has included computers, projectors, tvs, and dvd players(or vhs tape players previously). In the gymnasium Physical education teachers are now using a myriad of technology. We have used the previous items and sound systems for years. Now with the prices and advancement of technology we use heart rate monitors and other wearable technology, step counters, IPADs or other tablets, a ton of apps for many activities, hand held gps, and cameras for both video analysis of skills and for strategic adjustments in games.
In this class I hope to expand my use of some of these technologies to engage my students and for them to realize that there are many ways to use technology to increase their fitness not just for entertainment.

Educational Technology to me refers to any electronic devices that can aid in execution of a lesson or inspiration for a student to discover an avenue toward success of the content provided. Any technology that assists with the learning outcome or the environment the student is in would be considered educational.

From clocks to GPS systems, as I use in PE, students are continually given more instant feedback on their performance. We can use a variety of apps on our smart device to aid in keeping track of time or digitizing our skills for an analysis with slow motion video. I never thought about it before, but I use technology in my classroom and on the field everyday. My smart phone can email or call a students parent immediately from our school's system and be used a moment later with an app that will change teams randomly, and again with only a change of the icon switch to "Coach's Eye" to evaluate a baseball swing. Think of the equipment that we would have needed for that all to happen 15 years ago. There are more resources out there than I can use in a given unit or season. I enjoy learning about newer tools to help improve my teaching and coaching.

I hope to accomplish a continuing familiarity with different technology as to improve my comfort levels and likelihood I will add these technology tools to my classroom and training facility to improve my student/athlete's experience. I want to learn new "tricks of the trade" too!

Hey George,

I also have used coach's eye to evaluate student skills/performance and to give instant feedback. My students enjoy getting that instant feedback on what did well and what need to improve. What are your thoughts on the app? Do you use any other apps for providing feedback?

Educational technology is the use of tools, techniques and processes to enhance student learning. Technology in the classroom can be used in various ways. Technology used in Education helps to increase student motivation, enhance teaching practice and promote critical thinking. Students enjoy the use of technology in physical education classes, especially the use of step counters, iPads and dance videos. Teaching practices are enhanced by technology to organize planning, use visual aids to increase student learning and for assessment purposes. Technology can be used to help students think critically. Apps on the iPad can increase student learning.

My first experiences with technology was the use of heart rate monitors and step counters. Recently, I received a grant for 1 to 1 iPads for all my students. I have used several apps for the iPad such as swork-it, balance it, i-muscle, coaches eye and seesaw. I use the apps to evaluate student's skill level, for instant activities and to store student work. The use of iPads has made it easier to integrate reading, writing and math in my curriculum.

I hope to enhance my knowledge of using technology in the classroom by researching various tools, reading what other educators are currently doing and evaluating common trends.