Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discussion Number Two (2)

Wanda, I think its great that you use audio and video in your classes. If money wasn't an issue (as you mentioned and as we are to dream) you want a better way to use the audio and visual systems for wherever you are, right? Me too! As Jason mentioned in his post he uses Spotify which I also have done and in the right setting is nice to have. I'm thinking of combining your ideas and wishing for a versatile indoor/outdoor speaker/projector that can provide music for activity, videos on the school walls, both in the gyms and on the building outside, to aide the students in instructional activity and post Heart Rates among other data. Maybe even a spot on the back of our baseball dugouts that can provide another teaching area. Without getting ahead of myself, how about Youtube style access to holograms and sound? We just might get there sooner than you think. Good Luck with your teaching?

George

Yes, I have used the basics from when I began teaching with a television/VCR combo or the projector screen to assist my lessons. Now I have a smartboard that I can control with my tablet. How far we have come in 15 years.
If I need to show a "movie" to the class, I can actually chop up the important info and have the students all see it on their devices in the classroom or if they are at home sick or need extra time at home a link is provided to allow the learning to continue even when I am unavailable to the students. I can record my lessons as a presentation and students or parents can go back and see exactly what we talked about in class that day.
With a grant (thank goodness no more bake sales, cookie drives, walk-a-thons to raise money)that our district received I am able to use most of what is available out there to assist my teaching. Smartboards in the room and all students 1:1 with an iPad make so much possible. Previously, as much as 2 years ago, I would say that do to limited resources we were teaching pen and paper style only. Money was the huge break through and then we all received the training we needed, so our limitations are really individualized by our motivation to use what is open for us.

I use videos quite a bit in my teaching. I have used videos to illustrate skills, such as a jump shot in basketball. I recently showed a video on volleyball to show my students how to move on the court. At the end of the school year, I started to show videos my students made to their peers. For example, I showed 2nd graders a video of 4th graders playing a new game to help them understand the rules and game procedures. The obstacles I had to overcome was request a cart with a LCD projector, and speaker. I housed the cart in my office. I had to allow other teachers borrow my cart at different times throughout the school year which made planning challenging. I came up with a schedule for teachers to fill out to help coordinate when I had the cart and when I didn't.