Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Code 3's Future

Scott just posted The state of Code 3 on the C3
Board

Re: Code 3's Future

Interesting read..... I can attest that I have dealed with one of the 2 customer service reps listed and she was rude and otherwise unhelpful. I am glad Scott provided his email for direct assistance.

I completely agree with his statements about accuracy--we are a brutal bunch complaping about everything from ladder racks, to hose colors, etc. Agreed 100% accuracy would be too difficult to achieve.

But I got to be honest, it almost had the same tone as the email messeges I used to get from some of the now defunct Airlines. "We're getting better, more improvements, better service, a new era...." In the end, they ultimately folded.

I agree there are changes--we didn't need the VP to tell us that--just to confirm it. I hope Code 3 continues to do well as they are the best out there right now.

The bulk of my complaints have always been about the marketing and customer service. That's where they need to improve. There is now doubt they make some good stuff, but public relations can make or break you in the end.

Good luck C3!!!!! Can't wait to see how the rest of 2006 unfolds.....

It sounded more to me like Bush trying to explain his failures over the last six years. Now that Code 3 has alienated most of their once loyal customer base he posts some statement that there will be improvments? Too little and too late.

its better then nothing , Atleast we should see
at least 1 or 2 years of new releases. I just
wish O was still their

still their what?

True...100% accuracy is not realistically possible, but sticking to scale on the over all model is, as is at least shaping the cab correctly, or having a ladder cradle on a model that should have it, & they have already produced a similar cradle on a PREVIOUS piece.(that list could go on) I don't expect everything to be perfect to a particular 1/1, but I expect $70 quality for a $70 price tag. Proper engineering & CONSISTENCY are the key.

Alienating the smaller collector is not a great idea either. Not everyone can sit at the computer, credit card in hand, to scarf up ever piece the second they are released. Not everyone can use instant credit(& if smart, doesn't want to use credit for everything in life).

The Collector's Club "benefits" were never really geared to be of any good to a small time collector, & now it's even worse, with a higher price.

He mentioned in the letter that some things were done to help keep the "value" of pieces. That again is only geared to those that look at their pieces as $$ investments. Most forget that any piece is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, at a given moment. To me, since I redo mostly every piece I get, "resale" or investment value means nothing. In short, Code 3 is aiming strictly at a narrow group & forget the rest.(you all know that group... the ones that come on line & say things like "you'll miss out if you don't pay for a piece you don't want/like," or "I have 12 of them listed on E-Bay for double retail as an opening bid!"....... well, NO SALE HERE... & no lost sleep either If I "miss out" on a piece that sells out, & I actually wanted it, I look to a legit retailer(for a FAIR price), & if they don't have any, then OH WELL, I don't get the piece, & I spend somewhere else.)

I know your not going to want to hear this, But O's Leaving is the best thing that has happened to Code-3 in a long time! And I have nothing against the guy. He just wasn't a good fit.

Re: Code 3's Future - Scotts response for those who missed it

FROM SCOTT SCHELLHASE – Executive Vice President of FUNRISE/CODE 3 COLLECTIBLES

By now you are aware that we do not have any new releases for the month of March. I have authorized a sale to clean out our last remaining inventories and to enable our Collector Club Members to enhance their collections on some fantastic deals of items we have small quantities left in stock.

Our schedule for 2006 is based on delivering quality models on time. If that means we have a month with no releases then that is our sacrifice to deliver on our promise. There have been a lot of changes at Code 3 Collectibles over the past 12 months and I would like to take this opportunity to explain them to you.

RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT RELEASE SCHEDULE

I have stepped back in to take responsibility of this area of Code 3 Collectibles as well as product development for the entire organization. My resources are much bigger now from budgets, engineering and manufacturing to make sure that our models are leading edge and not following. I directed this area of the company from when we started in 1997 to 2003 and I am looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and providing focus on detail, model selection and collectibility. I realize that over the last couple of years there was an increase in communication from Code 3 Collectibles to the collector community. While I will strive to be available and to communicate to the collector community my view has always been to let the product do the talking.

My email address isscottschellhase@code3.net and I want you to use it if you have questions and suggestions. You can’t get any more direct communication than that!!

RELEASE SCHEDULE

As you are aware we changed the way we release product. One of the key initiatives in which we will measure ourselves as a company is on time delivery. Many of the past delays were beyond our control with delays at the ports or with the shipping lines. Therefore, if a product is not guaranteed to be in our warehouse within 30 days from the first Friday of the month it will be rescheduled. I know that many in our collector community have already expressed that they would like more advance notice of what is releasing. I also would like to give more advance release notice but only if I am 100% sure the product will deliver on time.

PRODUCT QUALITY COLLECTIBILITY

Obviously this is another area that we must continually strive to improve. For the record it has never been Code 3 Collectibles promise that every model will be 100% authentic and correct. This would be an unattainable promise as there are no two fire apparatus exactly a like let alone enough to amortize the high cost of molds. (side note: we are working on a way to deliver 100% accurate models and hope to debut this later in 2006). We do promise that our models will be the highest quality and detail in their scale and we back that up with an unconditional 30 day money back guarantee.

COLLECTIBILITY

Look for lower production runs, more Collector Club exclusives and specials. Our inventory levels over the past couple of years have been too high which only hurts the value of our models. This is a niche market and the production runs need to reflect demand instead of supply.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

We have two customer service reps, Molly Aries and Stacey McBloom, and I don’t expect that to change for the remainder of 2006. I know there have been complaints about getting through to them on our toll free line. I highly recommend that if you are reading this you use the internet to send your inquries. We will have the ability to respond to email inquiries much faster than if you try to contact us via phone. We will continue to improve our website features and functions and will place a priority on email inquiries.

Now I realize that the above information will not satisfy everyone so I invite you to send your questions for Code 3 Collectibles through the contact us form on the site and I will respond to them on Friday March 24th after my return from a trip to the factories to finalize the rest of our 2006 schedule. Again I invite all of you to correspond with me directly at anytime.

Bottom Line – there are a lot of changes happening at Code 3 Collectibles because we are committed to this collector community COLLECTIBILITY

I agree with fyerfyter146. As for the reposted email from Code 3, I never had a problem with Quality, Shipping, New Items, or any of those other issues. It was Code 3 management.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)