Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1949 Movie about the LAFD "Your Fire Department"

You have got to see this! It was totally by accident I found a two part movie about the LAFD. This movie, made in 1949, features some great apparatus footage. The link is available from the main page of www.lafirephotos.com.

To view the movies, you must have Real Player. However, other video players may work. You may have to wait for the video to buffer from time to time.

I have also included some thumbnail photos from the movie.

Let me know what you think about this great piece of history!

Larry Lorance

Re: 1949 Movie about the LAFD "Your Fire Department"

You have got to love the music!

Larry....Haven't looked at it yet, but I believe I saw it once as a short subject / fillin on the AMC channel. Had some good footage of one of the famous LAFD duplex pumpers or manifold wagons in action. Be great to see this issued as a DVD!

Yes, that is it!

Take a look at the breathing apparatus used by the rookies.

I can't decide which part I love the most. Maybe the "foamite" powder being dumped into the portable hopper. What a hoot!

mjl

Java, black, hot java!

There are a number of what look like 1920s and 1930s rigs in the video. If the west coast was like the east coast after WWII, they probably were limited in the number of 1940s rigs that they could obtain during the war years. In Raleigh, NC, the first post-war apparatus wasn't purchased until 1949.

mjl

I have this DVD. I think it's great to see how they operated with two piece engine companies. The one segment I also enjoy is them dumping the entire station of everything and tell you what each and every rig does, down to the salvage company.

Is the DVD available commercially? If so, where. Tks

*Yoink*.

I'll advise the quality of the DVD transfer, etc.

If you Google the video title, there are some other DVDs out there that include the film.

mjl, unexpectedly awake at 4:05 a.m.

Just ordered 3 from E-BAy buy it now @ $5 ea, looking forward to seeing them shortly.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)