Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
copyright on "FDNY"?

Did anyone else notice this? In the ads for FDNY-books in FAJ, the term "FDNY" is omitted everywhere. For example, the original book title "FDNY rescue apparatus" is now "New York City rescue Apparatus". "FDNY Hose Trucks" is now "NY Hose Trucks". And so on. I suppose this has to do with copyrights?

Re: copyright on "FDNY"?

Yes I think there is copyright on FDNY.
So everytime you use FDNY you have to pay royalties.

That's why everyone using FDNY changes these logo; either on books and also on fire replicas.

I suppose Code 3 pays for using on their New York rigs.

I don't know who is the owner of the rights, and why he does it. Perhaps only to make money.

Patrick.

New York City got smart and to increase revenue, requires licensing of the FDNY, NYPD logos, or any other New York City service. They were even cracking down on some of the T-Shirt vendors in the city selling 'bogus' NYPD/FDNY clothing. Code 3 has a FDNY license, since they sell to the FDNY Fire Zone store.

FDNY is a Trademark not copyrighted.

Here is the link:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=qc7lsh.2.3

It may not be copyrighted, but it is one of the most commercially abused trademarks in existence. Probably the most abused. I have always been personally offended by the post 9-11 profiteering on the FDNY name. Very little, if any of the profit from most FDNY "merchandise" ever goes to the FDNY or its grieving families. There are exceptions, and just like any sports franchise there is "official" merchandise which is sanctioned by the city. I would love to see the city grow some hairs and legally go after the people who peddle all of that other stuff without a license.

It appears the session expires.

Here is the main link to the USPTO:

http://www.uspto.gov/

On the left hand side do a search on Trademarks and search for FDNY.

This is kind of fun to play around with and see what other trademarks are being abused.

The LAFD is kind of different. Unlike the FDNY, it appears their letters are not trademarked. However, the badge and plaque are.

Larry

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)