Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
911 WTC MEMORIAL

It makes me sick to read about all the bickering concerning a 911 WTC Memorial. The latest crying is over the footprint of the memorial. In my opinon, the best memorial is to use the entire site for commerce. The Bad Guys struck at our way of life in America. We should show them we have moved on, and build useful revenue generating structures, and not whine over some politically correct waste of the most expensive real estate in the world.

Why do we even need some lavish memorial. Its not like every living peroson on this planet has not heard about the events of 911.

This reminds me of the name everything JFK after Dallas.

People need to get on with their lives, and not dwell on the past, or loss. It only encourages the fool terrorists to do more dastardly deeds.

PS: Don't HATE me because I'm right.

Re: 911 WTC MEMORIAL

You are right on the money Chuck. I like Donald Trump plan to rebuild the world trade towers as they once stood.

I MUST DISAGREE, WE NEED THE WTC MEMORIAL TO INSURE THAT FUTURE GENERATIONS,DO NOT FORGET, OR GET THE CHANCE TO VISIT THAT VERY SPECIAL PLACE. WHAT WOULD OF HAPPENED IF THERE WAS NO MEMORIAL OR MONUMENTS, TO CERTAIN PERSONS OR DIFFERENT THINGS THAT HAPPENED IN OUR HISTORY. SURE EVERYONE HEARD ABOUT THAT TRAGIC DAY ,BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE WHO ARE NOT BORN YET . THERE MUST BE A FITTING MEMORIAL TO THE ALOST 3,000 THAT WERE MURDERED THAT DAY. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE B S,THAT IS GOING ON ,WITH THE MEMORIAL AND THE COMPLEX ITSELF. THAT SITE MEANS ALOT TO ME AND MANY OTHER AMERICANS, PEOPLE SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT CENTRAL PARK, HOW MANY BUILDINGS AND BUSSINESES, COULD BE BUILT ON THAT LAND . THE VALUE OF THE LAND THE WTC SAT ON ,CANNOT COMPARE WITH THE FEELINGS PEOPLE GET WHEN THEY VISIT THE SITE.LETS PRESERVE THE PAST FOR THE FUTURE.

There needs to be a memorial in conjunction with rebuilding. I would have preferred that the towers be rebuilt as they used to be. I grew up in lower manhattan and work in the finance district. I remember the towers being built and I remember like it was yesterday when I saw the second hijacked plane fly by my office building and slam into the South Tower...

I walk by ground zero from time to time and I have to say that the area looks like a plain old construction site and you don't see any hints of what actually occurred that day except for the postings on the fences. I believe we have to go on with our lives but we also must be reminded of what happened there and pay tribute to all of the brave and innocent who lost their lives on that horrific day. Its to easy to forget!

I agree with Chuck. I feel for those people (very few people, I must add) who are up in arms over the Memorial Design. Unfortunately, it is impossible to please everyone, and five years is long enough. My feeling is that these few "9-11 families" ill-serve the memory of their loved ones in the public's eye by creating a pathetic media circus. It's time for the city roll up its sleeves and get to work down there.

My personal opinion is that the design is unique, and elegant. It is also very generous in scale. Perhaps a better memorial is the revised design for the Freedom Tower, because it's now a genuine, large building rather than a frilly waste of space, as the original concept was.

I also watched as the WTC Towers were built. I was in the USCG, and stationed on Governors Island from February 1971 until October 1971. I saw the transition from red steel to gleaming glass.

However, the terrorists also struck at the idea of world commerce centralized at the WTC. To let that propery lay dormant for five years was a real crime. The terrorist would prefere we make the entire USA a pastureland memorial, and become sheephearders like them. its not going to happen.

A fitting memorial could have been a large placque with everyones name on it. Wasting real eastate just plays into Bin Laden's plan. And bickering about it just give more publicity to the terrorists and their want-a-bes.

You want a real memorial. Then capture Bin Laden!! And stop wasting our treasure and lives in Iraq.

I think it was Bill Clinton who said "We should rebuild the towers except one story taller."

Make it the tallest building in the world. With permanent AA facilities on the roof.

The Freedom Tower will be the tallest building in the world when (and IF) it's completed. It will be exactly the same height from street level to roof elevation as the original towers, and its radio/TV mast will top out at 1,776 feet. How long it remains as the tallest building is another story.

"How long it remains as the tallest building is another story"

Or 3 stories, or 10 stories....(LOL)

Uhm, yeah Pete.....

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)