Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchbox question--Code 1&Code 2 models

I collect Matchbox cars and lots of time you see custom repaints by kitbashers, special promotional runs for corporate companies, etc.... in addition to the standard 1-75 line.

BUT what does it mean when you read an item description and they identify them as a "Code 2 model" or Code 1 model or Code (insert # here).....

Always wondered what that meant when an item is described as such.

Re: Matchbox question--Code 1&Code 2 models

John, a "Code 1" model is a regular factory release that's generally available for public purchase in stores. A "Code 2" model is a factory-produced special, limited release, usually for a specific customer. (For example, a "Code 1" Matchbox Collectibles release in the Yesteryears series was the 1926 Ford TT van in NYPD markings. They made the same van in German Polizei markings to commemorate the anniversary of the Leipzig Polizei - that would be a Code 2 release). A "Code 3" model is one that uses a standard release as a base for a custom version that's not made by the factory (also sometimes called "unofficial" or "unauthorized" models, meaning they weren't authorized by the factory that owns the mold). I think the Brits must have originated these terms, as I see them all the time in British diecast publications and UK sellers' descriptions. It can cause some confusion since there's now a diecast company with the "Code 3" name...

Thanks Dick....and you are correct, that's normally where I see those descriptions--on the Lensey sites or UK Matchbox sites. Although more recently they have been popping up on US MB sites.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Dick, isn;t code 3 not made by but authorised by the manufactor, and code 4 not made, not authorised?

Like most sayings, over the years they lose their true meanings.
Everything over here in the UK now is "code 3" regardless of its origin, kitbash or otherwise.
Even people selling lightbars and decals now advertise them as "code 3 lightbars" etc.

Dick is close:
Code 1: factory made model
Code 2: Fatory authorised model
Code 3: Not authorized by the factory

Examples:
Code 1: Item released by Mattel/MB in either a retail or other outlet, Toy Fair model

Code 2: Model modified by another company with permission from Mattel/MB, Toy Show Models, Color Comp printed models.

Code 3: A model I made.

There have been more recent references to Code 4 models. However in my long time of collecting Codes 1,2,3 are the universal referecnes.

Jeff

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)