Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Very Green!

Mike,
Got to agree. USAF had runway foamer units for years. Most were converted fuel tankers until the mid-70's. We got some new units (designated F-6/F-7) that were made by Gibson and Lancer. They had 1500 gpm gasoline driven pumps mounted on the rear of the trailer. 5,000 gals of water and 500-600 gals of foam. The old ones could just spread foam blankets on the runways, but the new ones came with top mounted foam turrents that could produce 800-1000 gpm of foam solution for mass application. I think they went the way of the steam pumper. AFFF is no good for runway foaming, so the AF just went to bigger utility tankers.

A tractor-trailer fire tanker model is long overdue, and the basic vehicle is certainly a nice model, but this one could use some more impressive markings (I assume the ones on the model are generic, so they could have been a lot more creative), chrome instead of black on several parts, a different color than that sickly-looking green (like red, for instance), and a lightbar in addition to the printed-on strobes. There are enough photos available of real tankers that Jaydeez could have come up with a much better use of a rather expensive casting.

Nice catch Mike.
I think i will order one and make/decal it for O'Hare or some other Airport.

WinRoss has been making fire tankers like this for a few years. Both companies forgot to add light bars or beacons.

Mike L. - Hie thee to Vegas, my boy! It's a DCP regular run and could be improved a lot with a little kit bashing.

It's green alright but not worth it when it comes to a fire tanker. It's generic in all senses of the word. The AF tankers I remember had a rather large cabinet at the rear of the tank that housed the engine and foam making unit with the spreader bar at the bottom. The tank should be shorter also. It just doesn't make it.

This model is in stock, BTW, as I just ordered one...

mjl

Dang it, Mike, you're getting married in less than five hours! What are you doing on line buying fire trucks?

First things first!

mjl

I viewed the site but did not see a price. I may purchase the model, but will remove the decals (stickers) for the emergency lights, and add clear colored lenses. Some diamond plate would also help make the stock model look better.

That said, Boeing ran several versions of IH cabs on Lime Green semi-tankers at their test facilities. Any would make a fine model. I for one am glad to see another maker in the 1/64th scale fire model business. This is only their first issue, and Jaydeez customers are used to customizing their purchases. I'd expect future releases to be much better.

I must say, I haven't made the first airport connection with the piece. It looks like a perfect replica of a modern rural tractor-drawn tanker, less any cab-top or trailer-top beacons or light bars.

mjl

I found the cost, near $55. Not bad, as cabs run around $25 to $35, and a tanker costs another $40 plus. The extras added to the model actually make this a very good deal for a different subject. I'm definately ordering one.

Thanks for posting the link LDS Mike, and may the Prophets (or in ZCMI lingo, the "Profits"), look kindly on you.

I ordered one and the lights are on the bumper and on the back.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)