Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
California dreaming?

So I'm curious are the recent sell outs (all west coast releases--aside from the Chicago ALFs) of what are essentially repaints--no 'new molds'--because of the lower production numbers, unique colors, or is it because the west coast collectors are finally getting replicas from their area produced for the first time since the first year of Code 3's production (the first Seagraves).

What do you guys think? Seems like west coast is selling just as fast as the east...... Is this a trend? Or is the west coast finally getting the replicas they deserve.

Even though I passed on both rigs, it was better than seeing more FDNY.

Re: California dreaming?

There's a huge difference between a run of 10,000 (some of the early Code 3 pieces) and a run of 750. Small production runs = early sellouts.

NOT ALOT TO CHOOSE FROM, SO THEY GO QUICKER

Next year they will produce less than handmade models.
Sure it's more easy to sellout products in a few days.
No need to make blow up sales with 1/2,1/3 of the price for the models...
This way, with 750 or 1500 units, I'm sure we only will see old rigs repainted and never new ones.
But don't think it reflects the good health of a firm.
Patrick.

In addition, a good portion of those are sold to dealers with memberships. I don't recall their being "limit one" per order..unless I missed it.

Basic fact is that models of west coast apparatus absolutely do not go as quick as others from different parts of the US. I can remember the amount of time it took to sell the LA City models. Some of them you could buy up to a couple of months back and they were there for a few years (Crown twin pack), the pierces from LA city took a long time to go, not to mention Fort Worth (close enough and should have been a set - should have gone like a rocket but languished). Now compare the sheer numbers of East Coast rigs, it goes without saying. It is also a fact that areas that have a longer winter climate (as opposed to a summer climate with long sunny days) have a stronger affinity for collecting models etc. Just imagine how quick the red Glendale would have gone if it was a Green Quantum and 1000 made. They would already be as rare as rocking horse ****...

With the exception of LACo or LAFD, there is no way they would sell more than 3000 of any west coast truck, never mind 10,000. I actually think Code 3 has damaged their collector base with repeated releases of small quantity West Coast trucks. It's about time to bring back Baltimore, Boston, DCFD, FDNY and add Progress, PA to the mix. There are also many Maryland departments to replicate a truck from (they seem to have some of the best looking volly rigs)and how's about a truck from Charlotte, NC too..

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)