Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tell Me Your Attic Stories

I need to store some model boxes and maybe even, gasp, models in my new house's attic.

What do I need to do or not do, to prevent bad things from happening, and what exactly are said bad things that can happen to stuff stored in an attic?

I'm aware of heat and bugs and rodents, the latter two of which are hopefully under control. I'm thinking Rubbermaid boxes with taped edges.

What have you all done, and/or regretted doing?

mjl

Re: Tell Me Your Attic Stories

Good luck! iI only use Rubbermaid, tried others they do not hold up to extreme heat in the summer and cold in the winter, had no problems as long as you make sure they are thightly closed, as far as tape goes tried that on others before , but again because of the extreme temps the average tape will fail. duck tape will work but should be reapplied or at least checked each season........I have not used tape as long as the boxes are secure. One more thing, you may wannabe sure that your container will fit thru your opening in the attic!

MIKE I have stored "stuff" in the attic for over 25 years in just cardboard boxes,and have had no problems.the last 5 years I have been storing "stuff" in the plastic totes,which come in various sizes,I usually use the 20 gallon size ,when ever they are on sale buy 5 or six as they store so well in each other .they are usually on sale for 5 or six bucks. with cardcoard boxes you have to worry about a leak in the roof which is rare,with the plasic totes ,you can put the covers on them and turn a hose on them ,and everything would be dry .

I've kept my ex mother-in-law in a plastic yard bag behind a wall in the attic for several years now. There was a smell at first, but I assumed it was all that cheap perfume beaking down chemically. Maybe I should get some ambition, and bury her in the yard? But I just don't want the dog digging her up, and poisoning himself. Vet costs these days are worse than gasoline prices.

Now that I'm done wiping my lunch off of my shirt (caused by Chuck's MIL experience), I can add that plastic trash bags have been adequate for storage in my attic. Baby clothes, seasonal clothes, etc. have all come through unscathed.

try stacking plastic garbage bags, if you want put the stuff in plastic garbage bags then in cardboard boxes or totes, in plastic garbage bags you dont know which way is up ,maybe clear plastic bags ?

I've got my trucks stored in u-haul moving boxes (current apartment doesn't have room for my collection). I wrapped each in bubble wrap prior to packing and after my first move the onoes I unpacked seemed fine. Don't recommend duct tape as it seems to dry out. You might try the plastic packing tape tape. It's a little more flexible and more durable.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)