Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
POP UP ADS

What gives with these F!@#@*&%ing ads? If this is the future for this forum, I'll delete this site.

Re: POP UP ADS

The person who allows us to use this forum, does so out of his own pocket.
The forum costs him money.
To have the forum free of ads, costs more money, and sometimes this runs out, and sometimes other people come up with the donation to keep it free for a while.
it looks like the money has expired again, so if you dont like it, why dont you ask Jeff if you can pay the subs this time round.
Presumably you were not aware of these facts, you are just one of the people who come along to a free forum, make no posting contribution to it, then complain bitterly when it gives you annoying pop up ads.
Its times like these I remember that old poster, "dear god, please help me to keep my mouth shut untill I know what I am talking about"

Right Pete forum with no pop up costs money, if all the users will give some money, it will cost everyone not a lot...
Also there is Larry's website where there is a forum without pop up but I don't see many of us writing on it.
Patrick.

Hi there. Since I enjoy this site with or without the pop ups (latter is preferred) I would be willing to chip in to help defray the costs needed to get rid of them. No complaint but am willing to do what I can to help. If the person(I believe it's Jeff) will contact me and let me know how I can help I would have a check in the mail(coining phrase only)ASAP.
Maybe others out there could do the same. Thanks to those that know what goes on for enlightening some of the people out there. Don

Re: POP UP ADS Pete(UK)

Pete(UK)
Hey I didn't realize what a SMART guy you were.

Here in America people have the right to complain. .There are ways of having ads without being hit over the head. As for money, let me know what you contribute and I'll make the same.
Maybe if people were given
a heads up to the ads coming , people would make arrangements to help alleviate the problem. I saw no statement to this.As to my posting contribution,how would you know what I have or have not done.And from the educated guess of your statement you are not even sure why the ads have appeared. As to your old poster you too should heed your own advice it might make YOU wiser down the road.

OK...How hard is it to hit the Close button on the pop up ads?

We have had a free forum for our use for a number of years now. The occasional pop up ad is no big deal.

I have noticed several of these Bravenet tracking cookies that have been caught by my virus scanners and pop up blockers...maybe it's a Bravenet thing...maybe not.

Maybe one of our own posters has put something into the mix...maybe they are tracking us...who knows?

What I do know is this...griping about it and harassing each other about it isn't going to make it go away any sooner. Relax and let the forum owner(THE ONE WHO PAYS FOR IT) take care of it.

If people are really perturbed by it, then stop coming by all the time...check it once or twice a week instead of once or twice a day...the same good information will ne there, I'm sure.

Once again, Larry has offered people the opportunity to use his forums at his website...even though there are people who allegedly don't like that option.

Then there is the Code 3 board...like there are no problems or issues over there.

I guess, in my own long winded (or hot aired) way, I'm saying just relax and let this thing shake out.

Thanks for the read,

Bill

I'm an infrequent visitor here, and not one of the "old timers" or "originals." It wouldn't ruin my day if this board disappears, and I doubt I would be missed. I can deal with an occasional pop-up ad. I visit other boards and contribute to them as well.

Pop-up ads are a fact of life, unless the host is willing to pay for their omission. Maybe the host has moved on, and is unwilling to continue hosting this board? I see guys offering to "chip in" the cost of getting rid of the pop-ups. That becomes a PITA for the person who has to collect that money, and it's only half of the battle. It still takes time on the part of the host to moderate the board. Maybe Jeff has other priorties and interests (very likely), and just isn't into it anymore. He's leaving it to wither on the vine.

I don't understand why some people seem to get so enraged about a few pop-up ads. Afterall, this board is free. Larry Lorance is always promoting his free website and message board, yet very few people take advantage of it.

I don't see anyone offering to take the ATEV board off of Jeff's hands, which may ultimatley be the long term solution. I'm not "The One," since I don't have the requisite knowledge to run a website. Peace.

Technological solution:

http://pub14.bravenet.com/forum/1136930767/show/549986

mjl

KENNETH,
I never realised what a dumb schmuk you were.

Pete(UK)
Hey I didn't realize what a SMART guy you were.

"Here in America people have the right to complain"

yes, here in the UK too..

"As to my posting contribution,how would you know what I have or have not done."

I read the board on a regular basis, and the posts from KENNETH are miniscule.

"And from the educated guess of your statement you are not even sure why the ads have appeared."

No, its not an educated 'guess', that is what has happened, as it happens now and then.(long term posters know this)

Enough!!

The solution is being worked on.

Yes, every so ofthen the " subscription" runs out and the nasty pop ups re-appear. ONce removed everyone can return to their normal level of crankiness.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff for providing us with a real enjoyable and informative web site.

Jeff,
I'll echo the thank you. I'm a little short of cash right now or I would kick in some for the subscription. Maybe next time you need help I can step up.

My AOL virus blocker just picked up a trojan horse virus from the popup ad. fyi.

I've been using Proxomitron as my fav pop-up/flash/etc. ad killer, and then some, for the past 2 years. Pure functionality and no corporate bloatware and marketing gimmicks of any kind.

http://proxomitron.info/

For those who use it or are planning to use it, here are the links to be added to the AdList kill filter:

www.psvusa.com/ -> kills the ALF background
assets.bravenet.com/* -> kills pop-ups
mercury.bravenet.com/* -> kills ads at the top

KENNETH & PETE (UK), SHAME ON YOU

KENNETH & PETE (UK), pleas stop the complaining and bickering. And shame on you. That's my job. Are you two trying to down-size me? LOL

IF POP UPS ARE THE PRICE I HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS GREAT SERVICE, POP AWAY.KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK JEFF

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)