Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I said it once, I'll say it again

I mentioned a few weeks ago about code 3 going down the tubes..but was slammed by people...but this again proves it...financially Code 3 is going down the tubes from all their chronic mistakes. NO reputable company that values customer service and values their customers moves from a live to an email system. Its plain and simple..they don't give a rats ^&& about the collector any more, and he's being a cheap sob. The website states,

"Our goal for website customer inquiries is response within 1 business day. This change will allow us to get our customer satisfaction levels back to an optimal level, achieve a higher degree of efficiency in our staffing and allow us to be timelier with customer service updates."

Arnie, who the hell are you kidding? I'm still waiting to hear back on the 10, yes 10 emails I have sent over the last 2 months that nobody has responded to. 1 day response my ***$. The one and ONLY reason for this change is to put more short term money back into Arnie's pocket...period..end of story.

Here's another suggestion..rather than try and screw the collector, who is catching on more and more to you lately, when you release an item, sell it at a realistic price. Then you will avoid having to sell them at 50% off later. The super pumper set was completely unreasonably priced from the beginning..I know a business is a business..but like other businesses, the goal is to sell a quality product at a FAIR or REASONABLE price. Like cost plus 20% or 30%. The prices of those super pumpers was a hell of a lot more than what it cost to make those.

Iceberg dead ahead - break out the life rafts - What we have to email customer service for a life raft??

Re: I said it once, I'll say it again

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. Obviously you run a successful company. I say this because you understand mark ups and margins.

So lets do some math
Cost for custom molds
$300000
Cost to manufacture 10000 models @ $100 per set
$1000000

Total investment = $1.3 million
Cost per set= $130

Selling price @ 30% margin = $185

This will be the cost to dealers.

Dealer now marks up the set 40% (low for retail but fair) = $310 selling price at a dealer

Now because C3 also sells direct they by good faith sell the products at suggested retail price. Therefore (at least in the beginning) they are not under cutting the dealers.

So I ask is the set "over priced"? Perhaps but followings a common business model using your numbers the set ould be priced accordingly.

Would these have been better:
5000 pieces at $380 each or
2500 pieces at $510 each

Food for thought.

Jeff

Joe, give it a rest. Stop buying C3 and you won't have all these issues.

As far as margins go, you have no clue. Espcially when it comes to the retail market.

I will also say it again. If you can do better, do it.

I ALSO THINK CODE 3 IS STICKING IT TO US, BUT FOR WHAT YOU GOT, THE SUPER PUMPER SET WAS A FAIR PRICE FOR 5 PIECES,NO WAY DID DID MAKE 10,000 SETS, IT LOOKS LIKE UNDER 4,000 FROM THE NUMBERS ON THE SHIPPING BOX THEY CAME IN. BUSINESS IS BUSINESS AND THEY ARE OUT TO MAKE MONEY,THAT IS WHY I CANT UNDERSTAND WHILE IN THIER PRIME THEY STARTED GOING DOWN HILL. CODE 3 WILL NOT LAST FOREVER ,9 YEARS IS A GOOD RUN FOR THAT KIND OF BUSINESS LIKE THIS . THERE ARE ALOT OF DIECAST MAKERS TO FILL THE GAP. I BOUGHT ALOT OF SUPER PUMPER SETS AS A INVESTMENT , AND WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE ,I WILL MAKE MONEY ON THEM, EVEN AFTER THE BIG SALE I SOLD A SET FOR 400 DOLLARS,MOST PEOPLE IN THE HOBBY ETC ,DONT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON ANYWAY.ITS ALL ABOUT TIMING . NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS TO CODE 3 LETS ME THANKFUL THEY WERE PART OF US INHANCING OUR COLLECTIONS

Has anyone considered that maybe Code 3 is trying the change their customer base?

"Has anyone considered that maybe Code 3 is trying the change their customer base?"

You mean from middle-aged men who collect expensive little fire trucks, to middle-aged women who collect movie chachkas?

They sure aren't becoming a "toy" company (except for mama Funrise). Their prices keep going up-up-up while their accuracy, if not quality, keeps going down. I haven't purchased a "new" release since the white Baltimore tiller.

Oh well, the "collecting" part was fun while there were items that I actually wanted to "collect." My shelves haven't changed, but my parts inventory keeps getting bigger.

Since analyzing their behavior is almost as popular a pastime as criticizing same, let me ask this: who are Code 3's most profitable Fire-Rescue customers right NOW? Okay, that's a trick question. Since they sell both direct and wholesale, let's look at their direct-sales customers.

Their most profitable direct-sales customers are, I presume, those people who either (a.) buy all of their products (to the point of sell out) or (b.) buy most of their most profitable products (which are what? Diamond Plates? Continuity sets? Umpteenth repaints?).

So, as Mike asks, if they are trying to change their customer base, what do these last months tell us? First, they're targeting collectors who respond to low run numbers. Ditto for East Coast departments, ditto for "classics" / ALF Century repaints, ditto for really low run special editions, etc.

The coming Diamond Plate ladder might be more telling. Many have speculated that the price point will be closer to $300 than $200. Maybe even higher. Perhaps Code 3 is also aiming for the high-end collector. The run numbers will be telling, at least with regard to their expectations.

mjl

Webster, shut up! You really have let your head swell! And EMT, You are no diff and he has as much right as you to voice!

Jeff,
Yeah Webster, shut up, hahahahaha. That makes me want to pee my pants. Jeff, guess this clown is another one that is CLUELESS, from the look of his
post he probably just got his GED, do they cover spelling in those classes?? Sorry, guys I just could not help myself.
Ronbo

Jeff,

I'm sure you are closely connected with what the costs are to produce the models and your cost numbers seem realistic. What I am trying to point out, is that it is getting more and more unreasonable to charge what they are charging, and the fact that they had to reduce the price to 50% is evident of that. Given that your numbers show that it costs $130 roughly per set, I do NOT think that the regular price of $375.00 is fair, not even the the "club" price of $325.00. Given your numbers, the prices above represent 188% and 150% of what it cost to produce the item. What I as a consumer and collector would be willing to pay, like I said earlier, is about cost + 25%, which comes out to $295. However, given that 3 of the pieces to this set are not new molds and are simply repaints, the value to me is even less, say $250. At $250 Code 3 is still making a decent profit. And actually, if you look at the bigger picture, personally, I would exclude the cost of the mold in your cost analysis (from a consumer perspective). Call me insane, but after repaint after repaint of FDNY and Chicago rigs, where all that was done was slap on a different decal or maybe a very slight modification, I feel that the cost of this special run could have been highly subsidized from the big profits on all the other pieces. So excluding "fixed costs", all that we would have would be the variable costs of production, which would allow for a lower sales price in order to just meet your variable cost. Again, whatever the excess of total costs over just variable costs, I think Code 3 should have "eaten" as a gesture of goodwill. They would have sold more pieces up front and not had to go to the extremes of the 50% off sale.

Joe,

I will hit your points one by one to the best of my ability.

I'm sure you are closely connected with what the costs are to produce the models - I am not closely connected. I just used reverse analysis based on “standard” business models

And your cost numbers seem realistic. – Again based on commonly published information from various diecast manufacturers

What I am trying to point out, is that it is getting more and more unreasonable to charge what they are charging, and the fact that they had to reduce the price to 50% is evident of that. – This means the models were too expensive for the market to bear. Not “overpriced” This may seem insignificant but it is an important distinction

Given that your numbers show that it costs $130 roughly per set, I do NOT think that the regular price of $375.00 is fair, not even the the "club" price of $325.00. – What one needs to remember that Code 3 has a dealer network. Therefore, by good faith they should sell the models at MSRP. If they sell them all at the dealer price, why would any dealer do business with them? Going back to when I was a dealer with Code 3, this was one of my original points of contention. How can I the small guy compete with the parent company? At that time, Code 3 ran their “online store” as a separate dealer. This means that the Code 3 store could sell out but yet Code 3 would still have models in stock available to dealers. Also at that time, the percent of a production run was about 33% to the Code 3 store. This would correlate to the numbers people report the SPS selling in.

Given your numbers, the prices above represent 188% and 150% of what it cost to produce the item. What I as a consumer and collector would be willing to pay, like I said earlier, is about cost + 25%, which comes out to $295. – Companies working on 25% margins do not stay in business long. What isn’t calculated into the above costs is all the peripherals, freight, personnel, marketing, etc.

However, given that 3 of the pieces to this set are not new molds and are simply repaints, - Only the cabs section of the Macks were old molds. All the rest of the Mack and most of the details of the cab are new.

The value to me is even less, say $250. At $250 Code 3 is still making a decent profit. – Again go back to MSRP and the dealers. This is still only a 48% mark up.

And actually, if you look at the bigger picture, personally, I would exclude the cost of the mold in your cost analysis (from a consumer perspective). – It can’t be eliminated form the business perspective

Call me insane, but after repaint after repaint of FDNY and Chicago rigs, where all that was done was slap on a different decal or maybe a very slight modification, I feel that the cost of this special run could have been highly subsidized from the big profits on all the other pieces. - This makes the assumption there were huge profits. More likely there were standard profits. And these profits would have been used to pay for the investment into future product, including the SPS.

So excluding "fixed costs", all that we would have would be the variable costs of production, which would allow for a lower sales price in order to just meet your variable cost.

Again, whatever the excess of total costs over just variable costs, I think Code 3 should have "eaten" as a gesture of goodwill. They would have sold more pieces up front and not had to go to the extremes of the 50% off sale. – I don’t understand why Code 3 should have to “eat” anything. I read this all the time concerning Code 3 and other companies. I just don’t get it. Either the company hides the costs elsewhere or they slowly go out of business.

Chad,

I am sorry you feel I am full of myself. Since I have never met you or had any personal contact (to the best of my knowledge), I welcome you to contact me off list. We can have a little chat as to why I annoy you so much. I welcome the opportunity to grow.

The funny thing is I don’t really care what Code 3 does nor do I care what all of you collect. I buy what I like. (I do like Code 3 stuff. I also like Matchbox, some Corgi, and even stuff as crappy as Boley.) I also don’t collect as an investment. All I was trying to do is add some perspective to the rantings posted here. Deep down I am an educator so I cannot help myself. I also remember several years ago when Code 3 sold their excess inventory to KB Liquidators, the club members screamed they deserved first opportunity at the sales. A gesture of “goodwill”. So now they offer what the members asked for, and they get flak. Go figure. It almost makes you wonder with members like this, they would want to do business with us.

Have fun and be safe.

Jeff
sirentoys@gmail.com

Man, get a life. If your so unhappy don't buy, but stop the whinning.

Another item to think of. You cannot find firetrucks or police cars for that matter at any of the major retailers anymore.
Wal-Mart,Toys R Us Ect...... About the only place left is the K.B. Toys outlet anymore. I wonder if code 3 will partner up with
Target stores again to sell their products???

Hey Ken, why don't you shut the hell up? As someone else said, everyone is entitled to an opinion, not just a select few on this board. I have been on this board virtually since its inception many years ago. For years I have listened to others whine, complain, cry, rant, rave, etc etc. I didn't bash Jeff for posting logical responses to my arguments. I responded to them in a decent manner. I have seen many heated debates over useless items and issues, many of them far far more explicit than my posts have ever been. I don't ever tell people to "get a life" or "quit whining" or anything else. I let them all vent and express their opinion, even when the clear majority of the board disagrees with them. But a few people on this board insist that their opinion is golden..and anyone who DARE challenges or criticizes Code 3 or them for that matter,is out of line. Well I'm going to continue posting here whether you like it or not...as Chuckgeo says...I'm not going anywhere so DEAL WITH IT.

Joe,
If you have a legit point or proof that Code 3 is history that's fine, but when you just broad brush with no facts and make statements about their demise
people tend to get alittle tired of hearing that.
Had a problem with them fine. Don't buy their products. Opinions based on facts are great.
Opinions based on rumors we don't need.

And here I was thinking I was on the Code 3 Bulletin bored(sic)...silly me.

Ken & Jeff thanks for putting some sanity back into this whole "discussion" "debate" whatever.

What I still find amazing in this. is the focus on only one manufacturer. and supposedly all the things they do "wrong".

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)