Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Corgi Chicago Mack L

Just picked up my Chicago Mack Eng-50 from Pastime, And I must say Corgi has raised the bar on this piece.
It's wrapped in Gold cloth inside the box, And they finally got all the lights right.4 thumbs up!

Re: Corgi Chicago Mack L

I too received my Mack L from PTH this past week, and while I must say a lot of reviews on this piece have been favorable, I feel like one of the few collectors who were dissatisfied with it.

The package is very nice, I must say. Maybe even a little over-the-top if I dare say. The yellow satin lining reminds of a coffin liner -- weird, I know, but that was my first reaction when I took the lid off. The printed material, cards, book, etc. that accompanied the truck is nice and all, but in my estimation not necessary.

As for the truck itself, I was especially disappointed with the quality of the rooftop warning light. It's a chrome part "paint" red. Seperate plastic colored lenses would have been a much better choice. This is the same criticism I have for the MARS light above the front-mounted bell, and the rear-facing warning lights mounted on the rail above the hose bed.

The hose load is absolutely blindingly, brilliant white. Again, some detailing or a wash-effect using a darker color would have brought out highlights in the hose much better.

The pump panel is nice, but the gauges lack detail (i.e. tick marks, etc.). By comparison, Code 3 was able to put better gauge detail on some of their 1/64 releases in the past. Why wasn't this done on a larger, 1/50 piece?

The paint and graphics are very nice and crisp. I would like to see a detail of the red, white and blue logo placed before the front doors. Does anyone know what this graphic represents?

In my opinion, I over-paid for this piece. That's not to be viewed as a criticism of PTH, however, as I feel Bill always offers competative pricing. It's just that for the price, I was expecting much better detailing.

In summary, I challege what others have said about Corgi "raising the bar" on this release. I think just the opposite. It has gotten worse, just not any better. In my opinion, it is on par with other previous releases by Corgi, just with more elaborate packaging.

I give three hydrants out of five hydrants possible for a score.

I'm I alone on this one?

Matt

There was a typo in my previous comments... it should read:

"I think just the opposite. It has NOT gotten worse, just not any better. In my opinion, it is on par with other previous releases by Corgi, just with more elaborate packaging."

Thanks for the heads up Matt. I sold off all my corgi's
beacause I was very disatisfied with them it was a waste
of money on my part. In your honest opinion Matt, how are
NMMM pices?? What about those Athearn 1/50th scale trucks??
I'm just trying to stick with quality pieces being on a
tight budget.

The Red white and blue logo that was on in front of the door read "a unit of the Civilian Defense"

I thought the gold draping was much but it is their "golden Anniversary" piece. I just wish they would get the Handpumps and paly pies correct.

Got mine today. Very nice, and the gold cloth anniversary packaging is the most hilarious box since the infamous Code 3 Super Pumper crates.

Question #1: Should the roof Mars light be slanted downward, positioned on the forward slope of the roof versus square and straight in the center?

I believe I agree that the thing is overpriced. Although, I suppose we're paying for smaller quantity versus greater detail.

I'd say the level of detail is a bit higher than the NMMM releases, but not by a huge margin.

Might return mine.

mjl

Also, notice that the packaging uses a *drawing* of the model, versus the standing pre-production picture.

This may be the magic solution that they need. There is *nothing* more disappointing than opening a box and finding a model that looks different than what's pictured on the packaging!

mjl

Another observation. You know, a handbuilt version of this rig in the same or nearly same scale would run $120 or $180 and probably have an equal or even lesser level of detail.

So, from that perspective, the thing is worth its price.

mjl

Mike, wouldn't that statement hold true for any diecast replica? It is still an over-priced model no matter how you justify it, IMHO.

I just received a Brooklin Models Ford F-150 'Blitz Buggy' style fire truck. The thing is hand made out of white metal. Compare this to Corgi and Corgi is a value.

Anyone realize that there is also a wood? or resin? plinth display block with engraved metal plate that comes with the model?

I like the model overall. I'll shoot a comparison shot of it and the Springfield Mack from the Motormint series.

Photos are here: Photo Page

Yup, from those pics, it looks like everyone's Mack has a tilted roof beacon... Sigh.

mjl

...and is it a safe bet that attempting to snap off that beacon, for re-glueing in the center of the roof, would still leave a marred area where it was originally glued?

mjl

I love these model, it seems that it's a model of pumper of the third delivery set regarding its heavy double bumper.

The final model is different from the sample which have the simple front bumper like the first and the second set of Mack L delivered to Chicago FD.

I think this model worth its money around $ 50.00,
a little more expensive than other regular Corgi for an anniversary model!!!

I can read easilly (with a magnifier) on the side crest "Chicago Civil Defense Corps".

Hope Corgi will continue this way.

Patrick

I think the model is based on the Mack 'L' chassis Type 85 engine Chicago used in 1954.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)