Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What does Del Prado know?

So I'm thinking about the accuracy and detail of Del Prado's latest issues, notably their Euro pumps. For accuracy, they look top-notch. For detail, they're probably comparable or just one notch below Corgi. (That is, on their high-detail models. Their medium-detail models are another matter.) But they're being made at a price point that's half or a third (or lower?) of Corgi, Code 3, etc.

What does Del Prado know that the others don't? Do they just have ridiculously high production runs? Are license fees considerably cheaper outside the US?

Imagine the interest they'd generate if they made a high-detail Mack L pumper for Chicago, or Mack rescue for FDNY, but costing only in the $20 range.

mjl

Re: What does Del Prado know?

Mike

i think it is the high amount of copies per model. Together with distrubution in lot's of countries, and the way they market them. Here in Europe you buy them at local tobacco- or bookstore. I spoke to some italian tobaccostore owners, and if you don't sell them enough, you are simply skipped from the weekly distribution. I ordered about 80 models at a friends store, but even he is not sure he will get them. So they make it hard to get, that make's the rumour around collecting, and they sell them out very quickly.

In addition to the higher runs the parts count are much lower than Code 3's. The higher parts count adds cost to developement, productions and assembly.

I have ost of the HO scale models and I have received a few of the US series. The detail is definitely below Code 3 and Corgi. In fact I put the detailing just a bit above Corgi's low end Fire series for the large ones.

All of that being said they do look good on a shelf using my 3 foot rule.

Jeff

I think that nearly all the models from DP worth their money but are not comparable with new Corgi and
Code 3 replicas.
But from time to time there is a model that is more accurate than the other and it's a good thing in a such low priced continuity.
The problem is also the non constant scale of the items due to the price that must be around $ 15.00.
Anyway a good continuity to collect.
Patrick

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)