Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FDNY R1 getting New Pierce Rescue

I just heard the boys at Rescue 1 are getting a new
Pierce Arrow XT Heavy Rescue in about a month & their's an add on to the order for 5 more, Also theirs also Pierce Arrow XT a Engine demo & Ladder demo being built to FDNY Specs. that should be here before the end of the year

Re: FDNY R1 getting New Pierce Rescue

Hello,

Sounds nice, anybody know if there are any pictures of the Pierce FDNY R-1 being built? What is the problems with the E-one vehicles they have at the moment?

Hmmm! Pierce making inroads into Seagrave territory?? Will be interesting to see how FDNY likes the change.

Believe it when I see it, have heard the same rumors now for over a year, first was supposed to be at FDIC, then Harrisburg, now this post in a month. If so, where's the photos? I would think by now someone would have posted a spy shot on one of the fire truck or buff websites somewhere.

here's a pic of the chassis
http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?
p=711869#post711869

This has been published and posted extensively on the Firehouse forums.

Here is the award:
Goods
RESCUE TRUCK FOR NYC FIRE DEPARTMENT - Intergovernmental Purchase / Other - PIN# 857600502 - AMT: $738,984.00 - TO: Pierce Manufacturing Inc. 2600 American Drive, Appelton, WI 54913
GSA Contract # GS-30F-1045D
Suppliers wishing to be considered for a contract with the General Services Administration of the Federal Government are advised to contact the Small Business Utilization Center, Jacob K. Javits Federal Building, 26 Federal Plaza, Room 18-130, New York, NY 10278 or by phone: 212-264-1234.
Published
11/10/2005

Award
Intergovernmental Purchase / Other Agency
DCAS / DMSS

So it has been ordered.

Jeff

I was told by a Pierce salesman 2 years ago that FDNY was getting a new Pierce heavy rescue and that it was supposed to be at FDIC (2004), that it was going to be Rescue 3. Of course it was a "no-show." Other talk I've heard is that the FDNY folks aren't happy with the E-One Saulsburys, that they're not holding up. I find it hard to believe because I've always heard, at least around here, that Saulsbury had a great reputation for building very good rescue trucks.

The problem is more likely the Chassis not the box. Being in WI, there is a good mix of brands, I have worked with 4 of the major brands,(ALF, Seagrave, Pierce, E-One) and am not of fan of E-One. Departments that have them seem to have more issues than with the other brands.

As to why they buy E-One, most often heard reason is low price/bidder.

The problem has been with the E-One chassis, not the Saulsbury body.

absolutely correct.the e-one sales people fly the pigeons out to fla.they wine em',dine em' and 69 em'.they take them golfing or just about anything else they want to do.they schmooze em' and then they come in with the low ball bid.i'm not saying that their stuff does not look nice.after awhile their sub-standard construction show's up.if your close to salt air / sea spray forget about it.

I was on the wine-and-dine end with E-One back in 1994, when myself and the rest of the apparatus committee flew there (to E-One) to do the final check of our newly completed pumper, a Cyclone II. Over the past 12 years it's been a good truck, although it's showing its age, and repairs have been done to it, as what happens to all older rigs. We have speced out a new pumper and I don't want to go with E-One again, as I've heard too many horror stories from E-One owners here in the St. Louis area who have replaced E-One apparatus already that were newer than our '94! Personally I like Pierce rigs alot, from what I've seen up at FDIC the past few years and from taking a tour of their plant. I think Pierce builds a better rig than E-One. Just my opinion, though.

my dept.has bought 4 of them over the past 4 year's.2 typhoon engines,1 mid mount tower and 1 cyclone rescue.you still can't beat either a segrave or a pierce.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)