Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clinton, First Gear, More

Based on the interest so far, is there a lesson for Code 3, Corgi, and other companies here? And what is that lesson? That 100% input on molds is the way to go? Or is that a premature assessment at this time (duh, which it probably is)?

mjl

Re: Clinton, First Gear, More

Mike....

My thought has always been you get what you pay for. So with that said, if I'm paying more than 40 bucks for an item called a "replica" then it better REPLICATE the actual 1/1 vehicle (aside from added graphics which individual depts like FDNY may add a month after the artwork for the model is complete). To capture the physical attributes of the actual truck--color or hose, light package/configuration, deck gun, pump panels, etc....are intangibles and I think anyone that markets "replicas" and sells them at a premium has a responsibility to issue an authentic product.

Case and point, I ordered the LA County FL Pumper....if that arrives with the standard (wrong) rear light warning package, it's getting shipped back. You can't blow details that significant.

Code 3 does a good job.....although not as good anymore on the 1/64 side, Corgi has more misses than hits, but First Gear is actually listening and taking it to the next level.

To me, rather than buying 8-10 $40 models per year that are mostly accurate, I'd rather buy 2 or 3 $80 pieces that are dead on.

With all the buzz about the FG Clinton piece, I couldn't pass it up. You know it may be the most detailed/accurate piece of appartus ever replicated.

Re: Clinton, First Gear, More

Mike. Perhaps more detailed models are on the way from other manufacturers. Cost plays a role. Can a department afford every change possible? Most probably can't. I, for one, don't nitpick. As an example, I love the NMMM series (the CF, in general, needs work) and don't bother to find an actual photo of each piece they make to compare. I have pretty much lost interest in 1:64 so Code 3 is out (except for the 1/32 and if it's Ladder 10 I'm out again). John, good eye I suppose. I'd never known the lights on the LA County were wrong. Minor (to me) details like that don't bother me. The Coaldale Scope, however.....

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)