Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Code 3 board goes bye-bye!

Well they left up the chat

And yet when you click on to become a member,
"BE THE FIRST to get exclusive information on Code 3 Collectibles Fire & Rescue releases. The quarterly newsletter, mailed directly to your home, will keep you up to date on upcoming releases, including special features such as engine or ladder numbers and unique paint schemes. Be the first on the scene for Code 3 Collectibles information."

and further down,
"Features available to all members:

The Workshop - Preview models under development
Club only web announcements "

Just to add to the chorus, I used to check the Code 3 board every other day - for awhile, more often than that. I can count on the fingers of one hand (and have some left over) the number of times I've looked at the board this year (and I don't think I've posted there at all). Nothing particularly against Code 3, it just wasn't interesting anymore, unlike this forum. I do sort of empathize with C3's frustration over the continual bashing, but a company has to have a thick skin. Anyway, it wasn't a membership benefit, as was pointed out above, but it was an "extra" that helped build a lot of interest in C3 in earlier days. If it no longer does that, I have no problem with them shutting it down - I won't miss it anyway. For what it's worth, I've been a club member for several years and joined for only one reason - to get discounts on models. However, I'd barely break even now with the number of models I buy (2 so far this year and ordered the FL engine).

Massfirebuff.....

What FDNY decal fiasco are you talking about? I never knew of any.....fill me in....I think RoadBlockers put out a sweet set--the memorial set that had the bunting to decorate a pumper.....

Read English Pete's post again. Scott (and yes I think that message was from Scott) threatened to close the board yesterday and then surprise poof its gone. Now I have been on the end of some sharp tounges over there and some of it was a little out there but hey, ever been in a fire house kitchen.

Code 3 over-reacted and now they have a problem. How do you do 100% moderation - answer you cannot.

Anybody notice the lime truck on this site - how cool is that

I sent them an e-mail and this is what i got back from them.
Due to continued abuse of of the Posting guidelines set forth for our Bulletin Board we have suspended this Feature of the website indefintely.We are sorry that the actions of a few have resulted in this action.This action is Permanment until we can put a 100% moderated board in place. Thats what they sent.

They can't even afford real customer service.. How are they going to be able to afford 100% moderation? Suites me just fine, I've been getting interested in other companies anyway..

Sean

Well I was reallyy surprised when I went on tonight to the C3 Board, and it was shut down.

This is off topic, and it might sound dumb, but is there a way to "register" my info on this site (I am new to this site)? Some of you might remember my screen name from the C3 board. Thanks for the help.

Like Antonelli says: a 100 % moderation doesn't exist (yet)and almost any Board is crowded with people that like to start discussions or to bash, just for fun. As I wrote some time ago, this board is a happy exception. I hope it stays that way.

Yes, 100% moderation does exist. Some forum applications can be set up where the moderator or administrator must approve all postings before being placed on the board.

Larry

I've always kind of thought the idea of moderating a message board was funny. If you think that the posters can't be trusted to monitor themselves, and requires your input to censor "offensive" comments, then why have it in the first place?

I hadn't been on the board in the past couple of days, but I can't imagine anything was bad enough to shut it down. The expense of maintaining it can't be that much (there are free BB packages with as many, if not more, features as C3's board). If I had to hazard a guess, the company probably wants to move away from this product line, or at least absorb C3 into the Funrise structure.

While I don't think C3 is going away, I do think that the company as a whole will be much different in a year than what we remember. No message board, no chatroom, no newsletters, no weekly "what's new", and a radical change of the club membership.

In a way, it's kind of sad. If you could get past the habitual whiners and complainers, the board was a decent place for trading pictures, sharing stories, voicing opinions, and just shooting the breeze.

Larry....

Ok, 100% exists, but hypothetically if someone does have to approve the posts--what are the guidelines that govern posting.

Sure, someone cursing or threatening another poster should be blocked, but I'm willing to bet what also will be blocked are any posts which reflect negatively on Code 3--to me, that aspect is censorship.

That's why this Board is and always will be the best (And admittedly, yours is excellent as well!). All posts are welcome and sure sometimes people push the envelope, but for the most part it's fairly benign.

Code 3 is a private company. They are allowed to 'censor' what you say with regard to their product, another board member or anyone or anything that may be construed as threatening or slanderous. Same goes for this board. Mike can take away any post that he deems threatening, unfavorable or distasteful. I understand the concept of free speech, but be fair, there is a fine line between slander and free speech, and this comes from someone who works for a newspaper.

Just my 2¢...

There always was a great deal of well deserved, very frank but decently phrased criticism of Code 3's product and customer service on those boards. Likewise, there was never a shortage of petty gripes and unreasonable complaints.

I highly doubt it was the recent actions of a few that brought it down. I think it's more because of wide spread changes at Code 3 or its parent company.
They have discovered that they can easily sell trucks that are more expensive yet more generic. Only the paint and the numbers change.

I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see mass-market blister packs of Code 3 trucks, appropriately devoid of detail and finish, hanging in Wal-Mart or Target.
Road Champs didn't have a BB or Customer service either.

Like their absence at FDIC, Code 3's decision to close the forum is disappointing but not altogether surprising. As of late, I was only visiting occasionally and hadn't posted in months. Say what you want about the quality of their products, but the quality of their forum had taken a considerable slide recently. The fault for this downturn lies not with the company but squarely with some of the contributors. Short of having a full-time playground chaperone, Code 3 did the right thing.

There are boards with 100% moderation. It happens in many different ways. The diecast board I moderate has many "rooms" each with a moderator. In addition there are several general moderators. If any of us see a violation we handle it immediately. The other way is posts are screened before the post goes up to the public viewing. Neither of these would be very efficient for Code 3 to run.

I really can't believe Code 3 let the board go on as long as they did. I think their original intention was good. It was to provide a place to talk about models and get some ideas and feedback. However it quickly became a bash board. To say a company needs to be thick skinned is one thing. But for Code 3 to accept everything that has been thrown at them is another. In fact even when Scott Schellhase comes here and gives an explanation, many either dismiss it or mock him. Tell me how many of you would sit back and take that?

Like Dick, I left the board a while ago. I would pop back in every now and then only to leave before going through the active topics. I just found it annoying to be on there. Etiquette and manners seems to be absent. Logic and reason were often left out of many discussions. And no matter how nice of a product Code 3 made, the end result was to find the smallest fault. I also found it tiresome to hear argument or discussions on how to run a company from people who have little or no business or manufacturing background. Perhaps it was different in recent times but I doubt it was.

The truth is Code 3/Funrise makes some of the best diecast models out there. I believe they will continue to do so. Are they perfect? NO. Are they good? Darn straight. I wish them continues success. If someone decides that the decision to close a message board is reason enough to no longer collect the models, so be it. But to b!+(h, moan and berate just seems excessive. (Chuck excluded).

Off the soap box.
Jeff

Here's a saying for you all to ponder: the internet is a global village and it combines all the worst features of globalisation with all the worst features of a village. For the record, I am not sure this is a problem with Code 3, or a problem with our hobby, it is a problem with the way people feel free to behave in the most outrageous ways when they are online "in public" and yet huddled behind their 'personal' computer. Lets all say a prayer for the person who is going to be made the moderator - maybe a pay hike comes with that...

Obviously people have different ways of expressing themselves, even more difficult in type. I agree that code 3 makes some of the BEST diecast models around, the problem is that everything else they do SUCKS!!!! They don't "Have" to give any type of explantation, but when they do they only address the easier to answer, dodging the so called bullet. That creates a more hostile ( for lack of better word) environment. Lets be realistic, what goes on at the C3 forum is just a small part of what we deal with in life everyday. I guess if to many idiots start driving on the highways, we should have them closed down And for the record, Scott has earned any respect from me yet!!!

Juan,

Why does Scott need your respect? Or better yet why do you feel he has to earn your respect. His job is to sell fire truck models (among other things). His job is not to answer every email sent to him. His job is not to be at the beck and call of every collector out there. Or to answer for the umpteenth time "Will xxx be changed before production?” .

I have found Scott over my time dealing with Code 3 to be fair and forthright. I haven't always liked what I heard but I knew it was his position. I also have probably dealt with Code 3 longer than most on this board.

Jeff

Jeff,

I am the president and owner of my own business. I to have to sell products. If I don't have the respect of my customers then my business will not prosper. Yeah it might get by, but who wants to just get by? I dont expect Scott himself to answer every question himself, but he should designate someone that can. Cutting communication with your customer base is the worst thing you can do, IMHO. Obvioulsy they want repeat customers. So as far as the respect thing goes, I dont respect the way things are being handled, not by Scott who is the VP or Arnie the President. Someone needs to appoint a PIO .I don't expect them to make everyone happy, you can't. But the effort is lacking, IMHO.
If I don't email my customers back or return their phone calls, they won't be customers for long. Then they will spread the word that they can't get service and its down hill from there.

OK, rant over.

Its no surprise that the C3BB went bye bye, only 1 or 2 of you have touched on close to the possible reason.

Apart from the unrealistic expectation's of people that have no idea think about this, you are joe blow coming to look at joining the code 3 club and bye some product, a model some 100's of times smaller than the real thing, highly detailed and well priced, you log onto the bulletin board to get some feed back about what you may want and all you get is what was there.

There was very little information on that board at the best of times, just gripes and moaning, would scare any new customer away.

And for all the people out there saying oh its easy to run and moderate a board'go start one dosnt cost much at all , and then sit back and watch your creation become an out of control animal! in the end you will shoot that also.

...I just don't understand the resentment and personal offense that so many have seemingly taken or felt. Maybe I'm an anomaly, but my feelings for Code 3 have always started and ended with the quality of the models. Everything else has been sauce on the goose, but I'd trade toll-free numbers, member newsletters, or discussion boards any day for better models. (Relative term there, as the models are pretty much the tops in the 1:64 business. And better means different things to different people.) Now if you want a rant, let me get started on the Super Pumper System inaccuracies.

WHAT A SHAME ,ANOTHER NAIL IN THE CODE 3 CASKET

Re: DON

I asked if this looked a real scott schelhase message, as everybody can act like him, and it is the first time in years he turns up so fast and responded on this board.. And i thought there was a dot in his emailadress between name and surname

I will sent you some grass, smoke it and perhaps you see the difference between fake and real too

Location: The Netherlands, the behind the ***** wooden shoe and grasscountry

Hey Hans, I dont care if it was him or not, just send me some grass man!!!!

Better send some to Scott, he in all probabilities needs it more than anyone here.

Sure there were a couple of threads that were unsavoury to say the least(last week if memory serves correctly) but both were taken off the board by CODE 3. Now they close the board and use the excuse they did seems a bit hollow to say the least. It is not the first time there has been a lack of ethics by Code 3. The bottom line to all of this fiasco is they have a right to do with what they wish with their own board. They also have a right to honour the promises they make when collectors subscribe to their club.

Yes, Mike you are right when you say that it is the quality of their models that is the most important and I concur wholeheartedly....then we also have a problem with this area, predominantly because there is absolutely no logic to the fact that one model is absolutely spectacular and the next is just not up to the standard that we all know they can and do release.
How many collectors are buying less Code 3 now than they used to....Code 3 are also releasing less models of sufficient quality for collectors to buy. I would say they need to get back to quality models and up the ante on those same models....

you guys are all missing the upside to the board closing- NO COUG and don't give him this website address.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO late he already has it

I, for one, am dissappointed to see the boards go away. It was yet another place online to see pics of apparatus and to converse with others who share the same interests as I do. I've met many great people through those boards over the years.

I do know where the boards went, they went to the same place as customer service went. I placed my last order on 9/1/06. Since I had one of those stupid gift certificates (even though they have a serial number, they can only be redeemed by mail), I sent it, along with a check for the rest. For 12 days, there was NO indication on their website that my order existed. Contacting their customer service rep proved futile. The check was posted to their bank on 9/8/06 and their website showed that the item was shipped on 9/13/06. My orders are shipped USPS, so there was no tracking number, no other info. By 9/26/06, it had not yet arrived, so I once again contacted customer service, but all I got was a flimsy answer about postal shipping taking from 2-6 weeks. The item arrived on 9/28/06. The shipping stamp on the box was dated 9/25/06. It only took three days to get to me, not fifteen like their website indicates. Lying to your customers is NOT the key to success! Like I said, that was my last order from Code 3.

Ummmm, "shipping" includes more than just the time in the postal service. The time in the warehouse is usually included and as you said in your post C3 states that "shipping" takes 2 to 6 weeks.

Just out of curiosity, How many of you actually emailed Scott Schellhase expressing some concerns?? or is it even worth wasting the time??

I did. But I told him I didn't think they should put the board back up. Between here and another board there is no reason to. They should just concentrate on making the rigs, and monitor here if they really need ideas.

So there are more than enough ways to regulate this without requiring censorship or moderating necessarilly. There are MANY boards or websites online today that require you to be logged in from 1 specific IP address or email account. They could very easilly do that. It might take some tweaking, but something you could definitely do. If someone wants to be an ass, you simply revoke his or her access - not anyone else's.

Also a note again about Customer service as there was a post about it. If Code 3 really cared about the customer, they would not have gotten rid of the customer service reps. I have sent over 10 emails on very customer service questions and never received a response - from questions about specific pieces being in stock, to order problems, billing problems..what have you. I am surprised they are still going to be at past time hobbies. Maybe next year they will cut that as well...remains to be seen. I think the only piece that I will buy this year, will be the diamond plate when it is announced. Or have I heard that it was supposed to be released in November/December, but now it will not ship until January?? Again - just goes to show the lack of leadership - this piece has been in the works for over 6 months, and the biggest time for diecast sales is Christmas. Just like their screw up last year with breaking the string of christmas pieces (again for no reason) they are going to miss out on many sales from people who would have purchased that piece for christmas gifts. Who really wants to get a gift of that magnitude that will not even ship until after christmas?

I don't know negative Nancy, I try to appreciate any gift, especially one of that magnitude, so what if it doesn't ship until after Christmas.

I don't think the Ladder will ship till Feb 07 as a safe speculation. I don't have the $$$$ to buy it now anyway.

Expect a nastygram from S.S. over that Feb. shipping comment

OOooooooooops I let the cat out of the Bag

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)