Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ERTL Hazzard County Cruiser

ERTL have announced the coming release of Sherrif Roscoes Hazzard County cruiser in January 07. As expected the 1/18 scale Dodge Monaco will be used. The only downside to the vehicles release is that ERTL will use the same light bar that was used on the Mount Prospect car that was released earlier this year. Should make the fans of the show and police car collectors happy though. The car will also be a welcome addition to the many kit bashers out there.

Re: ERTL Hazzard County Cruiser

Well, at least if they make the Illinois State Police version that they had planned for the end of this year, it should have a different lightbar on it (Federal Twinsonic) - or slicktop.

The word from ERTL is that they had no plans to make the correct light bar due to tooling problems (cost IMO) So hopefully when the time comes to produce more police vehicles with this model such as the ISP version, they would have got around to making a correct light bar. ERTL have more or less said, the Hazzard County car will have the in accurate light bar, or the car just would not have been produced at all. So I guess I would much rather a further police vehicle be made than none at all.

That's too bad. The Hazzard County car doesn't do anything for me, since it's a fictional department and a stupid show. I was hoping that maybe one of the aftermarket lightbar guys would make some vintage bars, now that there's a car to put them on. Maybe they will - I e-mailed a couple of guys back when the Blues Bros version was announced but didn't seem to be much interest.

I'm looking forward to this one, but do wish they'd change the lightbar. They did use a 74 Monaco in a couple of the very early episodes, but it did have the Federal Aerodynic lightbar. I guess as long as they change the passenger side dome to blue, it will be acceptable for me.

Mike Q.

Whether you are a fan of the show or not, this model offers a plain white version of the car (without the red headlights that were used on the Mount Prospect PD version) So it should be very good for custom car makers, as well as fans of the show. If it sells well, ERTL will see the benefit of using this casting for many more different models including unmarked street versions and other police departments. More quality police castings like ERTL's Monaco would be appreciated.

Well, if ERTL requires a movie or TV tie-in to produce a vintage police car, I hope they make one of the Adam-12 Plymouths. With the release of the Adam-12 DVD earlier this year, that would be a logical choice. Or how about a '78 Plymouth from Hill Street Blues (lousy markings but a classic police car)? With the "Blues" tie-in, I'm surprised they haven't announced a Chicago PD car on the '74 Monaco.

Now that would be fantastic. I hope one day a diecast company does the Adam 12 cruiser. I'm hoping Precision Minatures do one. With them jumping a few years from the 59 Caddy ambulances to the 66, I'm hoping they will do the same with their LAPD unit. Say from the 59 Ford to a 68 Plymouth.
I heard that ERTL are trying to steer clear of police cruisers that have already been done. I hope they do a Chicago PD cruiser as their model in its current form is right to go. It would not surprise me if ERTL cast a 1/18 scale 1990 Ford CV for the Blues Brothers 2000 car. Now that would be fantastic.
Dick, did you see that Auto Art are releasing three blank versions of their Crown Vic. A white slick top, and two further white versions with different light bars attached. I would like to see them do a black and white version as well. I know that the Motor Max cars will be cheaper, but I just can't go past the Auto Art quality.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)