Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
C3, Coming Releases, What Does It Mean?

For those industry and business analysts, what do the coming releases announced by Code 3 mean? They appear to have 2007 entirely mapped out (as we would expect), and are working on 2008.

Doesn't sound like a company circling the drain, but it doesn't sound as necessarily aggressive with regarding to tons o' new toolings.

(I'd have to check my records, however, to see just how many new toolings appeared in past years, to substantiate my "aggressive" label.)

The Ten Truck DP was in the works for a good year or two. I wonder if more DPs are coming? Or if the 1:64, low edition size, high number of repaints will be their latest direction?

mjl

Re: C3, Coming Releases, What Does It Mean?

I am not a business analyst, just a punter, but my observations are these: (1) this is almost wholly a net based business with only token relationships with dealers; (2) low edition runs are selling out to members so this is getting close to a subscription model; (3) what hurts you is unsold inventory stuck in the distribution channel. Slowing down on new releases and on run sizes means that stock is moving on time; (4) there was a headlong momentum to lots of R&D costs with little re-using of past molds. That has been re-balanced to fewer new molds and more re-paints of past molds; (5) One off 'spectaculars' like the Superpumper are getting rarer; (6) It is all selling and making a profit by the look of it and (7) there is still no genuine competition from any other diecast company in sight. This is all looking smart to me, although we will look back on 2004-2005 as 'the Golden Age' for new releases!

It means Code 3 is doing fine.

There has not been one purely BRAND NEW mold this year. All were either repaints or minor retools of existing models. What I'm confused with is: How can a 5 pieces super pumper or Chicago squad set cost more than a ladder DP model. Was it the mold cost for 2 apparatus (pumper/teder; snorkel/resque squad)? Now, I did note where the acrylic cover will be sold seperately--that will be pricy I'm sure (at least $34.99).

Is the actual ladder on the DP made of metal? I would assume so but the proto photos look plastic (that's probably why it is a proto).

Still, I just can't see 3000 people dishing out $295......or $250..... Of course there is potential for C3 to really kill the collectibility of this one is let's say in the first week 2500 sell and they exercise an option to manufacture 2000 more.... That's when you would see a liquidation in a couple of years.

It's sharp looking but I'm at the point where I just don't have the space.....or resources!

By releasing existing tooling with new paint schemes, Code 3 can amortize their tooling costs a lot quicker. They can afford to take a breather this year, as previously stated they have no competition in their scale, which sets them apart from First Gear, Yat Ming/Signature and Corgi, the three other 'major players'

to john

the ladder on the dp ladder was metal on the prototype and will be on the final model

John A, as Orlando said, the Quantum was a new mold

No genuine competition? Maybe in 1/64 but I bought the least of my models this year from Code 3 (sans the coming FDNY stuff).

Let's not forget about the Christmas Piece??

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)