Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Code 3, the year in review

Code 3 Year in Review:

Code 3 has been averaging 2 releases a month of approximately 1500 pieces per, so 3000 pieces a month. Add in the rescues and that some pieces were 3000 in their own right and you can safely assume they sell 4000 trucks per month on average. Question is, is that enough of a profit to make the line worth the time and effort we collectors demand? I think yes, but do not be surprised if it does not continue as is until the fire truck market turns around. Of course, C3 has no staff that we know about besides Scott and the personal touch has suffered but that may be the price we pay for Code 3 as an on-going concern as staff is the biggest expense any company has. I think we all prefer new molds and nice rigs over a pleasant voice on the phone if we could only choose one.

Do you all recall Scott saying that there were plans afoot to make almost 100% accurate models? I think we are seeing that with the new Quantum molds where several cabs and pumps and hose beds are made and mixed and matched. Do not know if they found a cheaper way to make molds or what but it bodes well for the future. I am not sure I would have redone the current Quantum but would have done the Quantum Chrome as that will provide releases for the next 10 years or so. That said the new way of doing molds means Code 3 only has to make a new Quantum chrome cab to mate with the body and we are off to the races.

The releases, well I think they hit a high with the Lafayette Quantum, which will be the best 1 /64th truck of the year, and a low with the Beverley Hills ALF. That ALF mold is just bad and it needs to be retired. I am glad there were two lime pieces, and I think the FDNY Mack R2 was inspired. Tarrytown was beautiful also. However, I have concerns re the police line, which seems to have withered with but one release. Ten Truck, I suspect raise the bar again for C3 showing they still have it.

CY 2007 has potential if C3 keeps doing molds of separate parts so cabs and pump panels and backs can be mixed and matched. I am troubled that there may not be a lime release in 2007 even though there are several beautiful lime trucks C3 could do right now with current molds. I would also encourage them to look at reusing some of the older molds to do rigs that would be clear sell outs i.e. Walkersville Pierce Tower, Black Ward with flames from that Indian reservation Massport E 5, and of course Clearwater FL. I still think making the charger, impala, and Ford CV molds as well as Tahoe, Explorer, Expedition and Suburban molds will do well for Code 3 as multi vehicle sets with police fire and EMS by city or by type. The ability to reuse those molds will make the cost negligible.

Bottom line, this was a building year for our friends in Van Nuys. When I look at the new Quantum and how they were able to generate it in various variations, I am heartened and see that as the future of Code 3. So the future is so bright I need to wear shades. Now don’t make me look stupid Code 3 by going down the tubes.

Re: Code 3, the year in review

John,

IN our happy little world of doom and gloom most of what you write will help forecast the end of the Code 3 world.

The reality is that their sales based on your figures put the dollar figure between 1 and 2 million a year. Not too shabby for one segment of the collectibles line. There are plenty of companies that would kill for that kind of volume. I mean it ain't Mattel dollars but I would take the sales and industry profit goals of 10-15%. Even better is cash flow looke dto be good with rapid sell outs. Lack of cash flow can be a company killer.

I too would like to see some of the older models make their way back. Especially those that are excellent like the Pierce Rescue, E-one Titan or Oshkosh. Even the Pierce Dash needs to be kept alive. I also realize the ambulances were not great sellers, but mate up the International cab with the FL boxes and there is some serious potential. Especially if they go the First Gear route and market them to companies for promotional models.

As for the cars and SUVs, I would love them in the line. However I do not think Code 3 would sell the models at a price point low enough to make it worth doing. I would offer that anything over $5 would be a flop in the market place. There are too many nice models that are out there or have been released that didn't sell at or above the $5 ceiling. I offer:
MB Collectibles Impala
Spec Cast Crown Vics
Ertl/RC Crown Vics
JL Police Cars
Tiger Wheels Crown Vic
Code 3 Suburbans

If they are doing these, I will put my wish list request in for a early 80s Diplomat/Fury.

Jeff

As I have spent the better part of the past year or so slamming Code 3 for a lack of customer service, club member loyalty and overally lackluster releases, I have to say this year was a bust.

I didn't buy a single release EXCEPT for the LA County FL--and that went back in the mail the same day it was rec'd. Every mold was essentially a retool--ok, extended cabs, snozzles, etc..... It doesn't do it for me as a collector. I want pieces that are different--not retooled. And yes, I want accuracy--case and point as to why I sent the LA County rig back.

I don't mind waiting for a release while changes are made for accuracy (Clinton KW is a perfect example). I would be happy with a release a year, providing it was unique, but I appreciate both your arguements as costs of molds does not make this effective.

You're never going make everyone happy, but Code 3 is obviously appealing to at least 3,000 people a month as virtually every model is a pre-release sell out.

I started collecting in 1994. My first 10 pieces were the Ertl Pierces and Road Champs rigs and a Corgi. Since then, my collection has included various manufacturers and a slew of different pieces. I aim for variety, but will always buy apparatus representative of where I've lived.

My wish for the new year is another company to come along and shake things up in the 1/64 world of Emergency vehicles. Right now, COde 3 is the authority and it will be tough to get what we really want when there's nobody else out there that could potentially do it.

Nonetheless, this is the best hobby out there and I will continue to collect/trade/buy/sell because I enjoy it. But I'd enjoy it a lot more if the market opened up a bit with the addition of a few more manufacturers.

Even is they were still on my "worthy of my spending" list, they didn't make a single item I would have purchased anyway.

Jeff:

Thanks for your business insite. Very interesting. As for the SUVs etc, I don't envision a onesie. I am thinking a 3sie or a fivesie that would give them the sale price theyh need an dwould ba value to us. With little mold costs after initial expense, methinks it could work and work well for them.

THEY SUCKED BIG TIME !!!!
NOT A SINGLE TRUCK WAS BOUGHT BY ME...
I BOUGHT LOTS OF CORGI.....
TTHEY WILL NOT GET A NICKLE OUT OF ME TO JOIN THIER "CLUB" AGAIN...
NOTHING BUT A WASTE OF $30.00

Some comparative numbers, if I did my math correctly

2006 - 21 releases, including one 1/32, one boat, and one helo

2005 - 27 releases, including five 1/32 and two boats. Squad and SPS set count each as one release

2004 - 34 releases, including one boat and two buildings

2003 - 35 releases, including one 1/32, two boats, and one helo

2002 - 33 releases, including three 1/32, one building, and one helo

2001 - 47 releases, including one 1/32, four buildings, and three helos. Squad set counts as one release

2000 - 57 releases, including one 1/32 and three buildings

1999 - 53 releases, including one 1/32

1998 - 80 releases (very heavy repaints)

1997 - 37 releases (very heavy repaints)

mjl

Version 2. There's probably still errors:

2006 - 20 releases, including one 1/32, one boat, and one helo

2005 - 27 releases, including five 1/32 and two boats. Squad and SPS set count each as one release

2004 - 30 releases, including one boat and two buildings. FDNY Rescue set couns as one release.

2003 - 35 releases, including one 1/32, two boats, and one helo

2002 - 32 releases, including three 1/32, one building, and one helo

2001 - 47 releases, including one 1/32, four buildings, and three helos. Squad set counts as one release

2000 - 57 releases, including one 1/32 and three buildings

1999 - 53 releases, including one 1/32

1998 - 79 releases (very heavy repaints)

1997 - 37 releases (very heavy repaints)

mjl

And for some REALLY fuzzy math, here is an attempt at charting the number of new molds per year:

2006 2 (Pierce Quantum retool, and Pierce Quantum retool with Squrt)

2005 4 (Chicago squads, Seagrave TDA, Mack SPS, and dreaded ALF Century)

2004 2 (E-One ladder, Freightliner tanker)

2003 7 (Seagrave squads, Seagrave ladder, FL ambulance, LDV command unit, and the three NYPD tools)

2002 6 (ALF Eagle tower + ladder, Ward LF engine + Backdraft version, FL engine, ALF Eagle engine)

2001 8 (Sutphen engine + tower, E-One tower, Mack CF engine, Pierce Quantum telesquirt, Emergency squad, Mack C engine, helo)

2000 6 (E-One ARFF, E-One pumper, Pierce Dash SM + TM engines, Seagrave tower, Crown engine)

1999 8 (Ferrara engine, Pierce Dash tower, Pierce Dash rescue, Oshkosh ARFF, Ford F-350 + E-350 ambo, Luverne engine, LTI TDA)

1998 6 (Seagrave ladder, Pierce Quamtum engine, Saulsbury rescue, Seagrave engine v2, Seagrave TDA, GMC Suburban)

1997 1 (Seagrave engine)

mjl

Mike,

1) Way too much time on your hands!!
2) THANKS SO MUCH for taking the time to put that together--I'm sure it's almost dead on.

That's the type of list I was looking for. You go from (consistently) 6-8 BRAND NEW molds consistently for 6 years, then go to 2, then 4, to 2 retools this year......

Again, not sure what that means. Code 3 can't be doing too badly as nearly everyone has sold out during pre-sale. You could argue lower production, etc., but one has to figure if they're selling out, Code 3 is profitting.... Like I said, you don't have to give me a release a month--I'll take 2 or 4 releases per year (and even pay a handful of dollars more) for a NEW MOLD. In between, poll your members on your website: "Hey guys, we're doing a repaint of X model. Here are 5 potential cities. You have until next Weds to vote, the winner will be produced in the next quarter..... That would be cool.... It ain't going happen, but.......

Thanks again Mike, great info

Hey Rick, saw yor post,
do yor pennance....
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I guess I better get used to a "warmer climate" .....

HEAVEN DON'T WANT ME...
AND HELL IS AFRAID I'LL TAKE OVER

You know what they say about Firefighters.....

They all go to Heaven.....if they went to Hell, they'd put it out.

Let's hope the same can be said for us buffs. Although for other reasons not related to collecting I'm not counting on a penthouse suite or a room with a view up there

??

Please, what's next? Satanclaus Hoe Hoe Hoe

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)