Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Concerning producing police vehicle replicas....

Not wanting to drift off topic from John Antonelli's email about Code 3's year in review..... He and Jeff bring up interesting points about producing police car models.

What does the collector truly want? State police cars, major US Cities, other??

If you do State Police, you could 1 or 2 molds and complete a 50 State set. Almost every state runs a Ford CV (Police Interceptor) or Impala. You could commit to 2 models a month and complete a 50 state set in 2 years time.

I think the problem is, unlike fire apparatus which have unique markings, details. Police cars are all pretty much bread basket designs. Maybe a different light bar, but for the most part there aren't enought varying features to make the model "unique" This is esp true if you are producing several variations.

What it comes down to is that you are producing the same model with different graphics 50 times over. Would you buy 50 of the same mold for (let's be modest) 20 bucks a piece or would you only buy the handful that you want?

I think that is the issue with producing police cars--not enough unique features on cruisers across the country to set them apart from one another.

What do you guys think? Why are police car models tougher to sell or have a higher risk associated with selling than other emergency vehicles?

Re: Concerning producing police vehicle replicas....

John,

I think police cars are an easier sell than other emergency vehicles. For the reason you state, the ability to use the same mold over a large number of releases; the numerous variations that can be done; the ability to do custom “short” runs for locales.

This has been proven over and over to be a successful business model. That model may run out long before some prefer but it has worked and continues to work. The 50 state model will not work because there are only 49 state agencies and at least 1 (PA) will not allow their cars to be reproduced unless it is through them. That isn’t to say there couldn’t be many states done. There are also many large cities that haven’t been done as yet that could be good potential sales.

What scale are you talking about? If it is 1/64 IMAO then your $20 price point is way off base. As I stated in my earlier email, the maximum price ceiling is about $5 for that scale (Keep in mind this means you have to sell to stores @ $2.50 and make it for less than $1.50). Just look at the history. Spec Cast made a very nice model in 1/64 and even with a limited edition of 5000 pieces, they did not all sell out.

If I was to do a model sedan in 1/64, I would:
1. Try to limit the runs to 3000 or less.
2. Not go for any form of continuity series unless they were in small groups. An example might be big city fire, larger cities, etc.
3. Have a tough decision on what model to use, The Impala was not used wide enough to run most city models, The CV is on its last legs and has been done a lot, the Charger is cool but not widely used yet.

I would love to see something like this to come to fruition. However it is a tough sell to make a business case for it. Are there 50 to 100 releases that will sell over a 2 year period to recoup the start up costs and make a profit?

Some times it sucks thinking like a business person and not the collector.

Jeff

And your last sentence says it all....

I think ultimately it's why we are alway looking for the "generic" all white/all black models so we can customize them to meet our wish lists.

I bet a quality 1/64 or 1/43 die cast mold of an Impala, Charger, Grand Fury, CV would fly off the shelf. With digital cameras and photoshop editing, graphics programs, we have the ability to make a quality custom. Look at the guys that post on this board. Most of those models are 10X better than anything we saw from Road Champs (maybe a poor example).

The true business model may be a 2 part plan:

1) High quality "generic"/plain models
2) A High quality fair priced decal producers that is willing to produce custom orders on a small scale

There is so much potential out there, but clearly lots of risks with pursuing them....

I think where Code 3 ought to continue their police range, is with the rescue and communications based vehicles, as a lot of these can double up as fire models too, look how much life is left with the LDV's.
And the Pierce, I would love an FBI truck.

Well here is the kind of thing I envisoned for say 40 bucks or the cost of 1 pumper

A boston set

PD CV

Mass SP Charger

EMS Suburban

Fire Tahoe

Massport FD Expedition

Or an EMS set

Boston EMS Suburban

FDNY EMS Suburban

DCFD Rapid EMS Tahoe

Baltimore EMS Expedition

LAFD EMS Ford CV

I believe that some collectors and all manufacturers are missing the point. We don't want a repainted CV or Impala, we want the auxillary and special purpose vehicles operated by about every agency. Do you think fire collectors would be satisfied if the only offering was a repainted Seagrave Pumper?

Why they don't get on the bandwagon, and produce a Bluebird Bus, the varied SWAT Trucks (LENCO, etc.), and Specialized Service Units (SCUBA, Bomb Squad, Crime Scene Vans, etc.) that every Department uses is way beyond my thinking.

And this 1/18th thing is totally foolish. Who has room for more than three or four huge models? Even 1/43rd takes some room, but 1/64th is just too tiny even for cars, but adaquate for larger units. The idiots who offered the 1/18th scale Cop Cars (usually just a repaint of a civilian model) may have well said, "we'll sell them 3, and the market is gone". Sometimes stupidity prevails, as with any corporate entity, or Government.

More people would collect Police than Fire if they offered different types of model vehicles, but these Marketing Gurus from the diecast firms just don't get it.

My Buck Three Eigthy.

While I would love to see just about ANY new Police model, I have to disagree with 1/18 being "foolish". Yes, it does take a large space and most people can not display too many - but from a sales standpoint on my end (retail sales online), ALL of the Motormax, Autoart, Ertl and other brand 1/18 cars sell very well. I seem to be ordering another case of one car or other weekly, someone is putting them somewhere!

I would like to come out with a great model of my own, but the costs involved are just too high, so I - like everyone else - am forced to collect (and sell) whatever the big diecasters issue.

OK...I'll bite...Being as no one has asked, which state does not have a state law enforcement agency??

I would love to see a state police set, but, here in Oregon, it is nearly impossible to reproduce the markings on the new dark blue cars. The door graphic has been treated so that if you try to photograph the seal, it will be blurry.

I guy in portland was allowed to borrow a door shield for 24 HOURS ONLY, and was told how to keep the seal from blurring, but, he had to get it from the department, to the manufacter and back to osp in a 24 hour period.

Who knows, maybe there is a way someone will be able to get get permission to do the decals and would be given the correct info on how to reproduce the seal. It would be nice !

Hey Jaybo,
I am not too sure of the answer, as I am in the UK, but the way I know it is, Twenty-three U.S. states actually call their state police by the term "State Police." In other states the state police are limited function agencies known by "State Highway Patrol"
Exceptions are Alaska whose state police agency is referred to as Alaska State Troopers and Hawaii where the State of Hawaii Sheriff's Office acts as the state-wide law enforcement agency.

So I would guess Hawaii, as they only "act" as a state enforcement agency.

Look at the Mother Land stepping in and showing up the Yankees!! Pete, my friend, you are indeed correct, it is the Aloha State of Hawaii that does not have a dedicated State Patrol, State Troopers. It is in fact the HI Sheriff.

PA is the state that does not allow reproductions.

Another little side note, I have a custom replica of a "California State Police" vehicle. Made it from actual pix that came with the decals I ordered back in the late 1990's. Apparently the primary duty was to protect State owned properties, Gov agencies, but ultimately they were absorbed into the Highway Patrol.

JA

PA does allow reproductions, but they will only sell them to PA troopers. Some of those do make it to the general public. I've got the one of the original Road Champ PA state cars that was done.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)