Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Del Prado is looking for input from American collectors!

Del Prado sales have been quite impressive over the last month since we announced the availability of most of the American releases here in the United States and Larry Phillips wrote about us in Toy Trucker magazine. In fact they have been so impressive, Del Prado is now considering the production of several North American releases.

Now's the time for collectors to stand up and be heard! Using the trucks we currently produce, we are looking for suggestions that we might possibly consider producing. Do you know of a really nice paint scheme on a Sutphen pumper? Does your department operate an E-One collectors might like to have in miniature? Have you seen an impressive Pierce heavy rescue?

The sky's the limit. Simply send your suggestions to jeff@AwesomeDiecast.com. Include good apparatus pictures, as much department information as you might have and contact info if available.

Think we'll never produce your department? - Just ask the guys from Gettysburg PA, Miami,FL or Bohemia,NY. Anything's possible!

Thanks to all of you, and happy holidays!

Re: Del Prado is looking for input from American collectors!

Cool! Here's a list of the possible toolings for repainting. These are DP's USA and Canada releases to date, including a couple upcoming ones:

2006 Sutphen Monarch pumper (1:73)
2006 Pierce Quantum pumper (1:80)
2005 Renault Master van (1:50)
2005 Pierce ladder (1:87)
2005 E-One HP-75 ladder (1:87)
2004 Ford Excursion (1:50)
2003 Oshkosh T-1500 crash truck (1:72)
2003 E-One HP-100 ladder (1:87)
2002 Pierce Quantum rescue (1:80)
2000 Ford E-350 XL Super Duty van (1:57)
1999 Sutphen Monarch pumper (1:72)
1997 Ford Explorer XLT (1:43)
1993 Pierce Lance platform (1:87)
1992 Hummer H1 brush truck (1:53)
1974 Mack CF600 Pumper (1:64)
1970 Seagrave Series K pumper (1:64)
1958 American LaFrance Series 900 pumper (1:64)
1953 International R185 pumnper (1:57)
1952 Seagrave 70th Anniversary Series pumper (1:64)
1952 GMC 6x6 "Stump Jumper" brush truck (1:57)
1950 American LaFrance 700 Series pumper (1:64)
1948 Mack B Series pumper (1:64)
1924 Ahrens Fox pumper (1:43)
1912 Christie steamer (1:43)
1907 Seagrave AC53 engine (1:43)

Large and extra pics on this special PDF document that I've created: http://www.legeros.com/temp/del-na.pdf

I'll be sending Jeff pics of this rig at our airport!

mjl

Now if the series is ending, where did this come from?

By reading Jeff Webster's post about his newly-recieved Del Prado models (Pierce quint and E-One HP 75), it sounds like the company needs to a better job in replicating how a rig looks. Quality issues needs to be addressed

I like the model from the pics... I don't actually own any but would like too...

I just wish they would pick one or to scales and stick with them... All these different sizes are just a big turn off for me... I can only imagine the difficulty in displaying them... 1/87th, 1/64th, and 1/50th are just fine with me but you can lose the others in my opinion... No disrespect to those of you that prefer others scales, just my 2 cents...

It sounds like (not initially but as you read further down) they are looking for repaint potentials using existing molds. I think that was the point of the post. Send pix of rigs similar to those already produced by DP and maybe they'll issue them in that Departments paint scheme.

Jeff Silver can you clarify??

We are developing a North American collection which will incoporate existing molds, but different paint jobs/departments. We are extensively researching this and with input from many collectors we will be coming out with some nice trucks.

We are possibly going to add to the American line with either KME or ALF, probably the later which we will see with either a 700 or 900 pumper.

Lots of ideas floating around now, but nothing in stone. We have sold an impressive amount of trucks over the last 6 weeks which leads us to believe there is definite interest in Del Prado. 1:87 seems to be the run away favorite - is this what most collectors would prefer to see or 1:64? Please post your comments on this as we would appreciate direction from all of you.

I agree there are quality issues here and there, but we fully guarantee every truck we sell either with a replacement or a full refund (only had 2 issues so far) so collectors should not be worried.

Happy and healthy '07 to all!

my vote of course is for 1/87 scale.some new truck's definetly needed in this scale !!!!!

I would say work on scale consistency. If something is listed as 1/87, 1/80 is NOT close enough.... as an example. There are a few pieces I would have purchased from "DP," but have stayed away from the company totally due to many mentioned scale issues.

Known in the industry as a "cheap knock off" company, if Del Prado was serious about doing more fire release's I would have to say that scale and accuracy are going to be important for any kind of decent sales. Some of the American fire release's from Del Prado, they were not the original mold owner, so you cant blame them for all the inaccuracies. If a few select models were done in scale and proportionally correct, I would consider buying some. I have one Del Prado out of several hundred in my collection. That does not speak well for quality or accuracy. Jeff, as for your information on 1/87 scale, I have to think that assumption is based on the sales of a few American release's that "dont look too bad" in and around that scale and the lack of anything decent in other true scales. Us Americans have this thing about scale. It has to be in our preferred scale, so we can place it next to our other items from the same scale, and they look compatible. The overall choice for American fire engine collectibles is 1/64 scale followed by 1/50ish. I think in the last poll on FireEngines.net that 1/87 scale was third. This would be good news for those that collect 1/87, but leaves the overwhelming majority of fire collectors out of the loop. I would hate to see Del Prado go and obtain a license to build a truck from so and so, then only do it half way, or very inaccurate. The voice of the internet fire collector is never silent, and seldom forgiving. Happy New Year.

rich,not debating most of what you say,but the dp 1/87 quint and 1/80 rescue were pretty darn good looking.the quint is one of the finest 1/87 ever in my opinion.the rescue is good also.1/80 just is not one of the standard scale's.many collector's said that the athearn ford c series had the most detail for ho.i'm not saying they were not good.in my opinion they are just too small to go with my other stuff.call me a whacker.i don't care.i'm very passionate about this hobby too.

No debate here, I agree with you 100%, especially on the Athearn's. I too thought that they looked a little small. I did a few kit bash's with the Ford C cabs, but never was really happy with how they turned out. Strange coincidence. Several years ago I went to L.A. and gave the Ford C cab pitch to a die cast company. At the time we still had a frontline canopy model, and took photos and all sorts of dimensions, as well as factory blueprints. I stressed to them how they could do all sorts of HO scale fire and then expand in to delivery trucks, farm vehicles, over the road, you name it. They declined, and sure enough, a year later Athearn took the ball and ran with it. Scale and accuracy period. The right scale and accurate, and something we want, its darn near a license to print US currency. I am off to L.A. in Feb with two new prototypes and three varients to pitch to two more die cast companies. Keep your fingers crossed.

Okay, I question the "cheap knock off" label. At least with respect to many of the Euro and Asian replicas. Hongwell strikes me as a knock-off in the category of Euro models. The majority of DPs Euro and Asian toolings seem right and tight.

But that's one of the strange things about DP. Their toolings seem like they are made by a couple different factories, with different types of construction.

mjl

Since I am very passionate about collecting and kitbashing 1/87 scale, I would prefer that Del Prado would come out with a line of modern U.S. fire appartus strictly in 1/87 scale. And I mean dead-on 1/87 scale, like the DP E-One HP75 and Pierce quint; not something that is marked "1/87" and is actually 1/80 scale, like the Bohemia Pierce Bronto or the Montreal E-One HP100. I am big about accurate scales, correct details, etc., on my models.

I, too, agree that the Pierce quint is a very nice model. It was nice to open it up and discover that it and the HP75 were actually dead-on 1/87 scale!

And as far as Del Prado goes, I would love to see a generic solid red Pierce quint with some simple white striping, much like the E-One HP75; very easy to kitbash! And keep that American flag grille with it; very nice touch!

Rich....good luck pitching your ideas! I hope these folks listen to you and run with your gameplan.

I assume that the Jeff's mention of an ALF 700 or 900 refers to a re-paint of the previous 1/64th rigs. We sure could use a 1/87th 700. If KME is a serious candidate for production, a nice 100-foot platform quint, scaled to 1/87th would be nifty, as this type of appatatus is conspicuous by its absence in this scale.

Also, I'm not sure why we need ANOTHER company focussing on 1/50th or 1/64th, when these areas are already covered by others. 1/87th, however, still has many gaps to fill, and I would question the "runaway popularity" of the larger scales. Is it just that they have been most commonly available? Strikes me that 1/87th vehicles collectors/builders are a fast-growing markt segment, and this scale also appeals to the majority of model railroaders.

As some of us get older, we may contemplate a move to smaller, condo-like living quarters, thus making the smaller stuff even more attractive as collectibles.

Bigger is not always better.

John, well said!

1/64 scale is well-covered by Code 3. How about a company catering to the 1/87 scale enthusiasts for a change? Whether it be Del Prado, a resurgence from Boley, or whoever, it would be nice if a company filled the nitsch for us 1/87 collectors.

Time to hop on my soapbox 

There are some excellent points raised by the collectors on this board. Mike Legeros brings up a good point concerning the different manufacturers of the Del Prado products. This is probably correct. Since DP is a magazine company their models are most likely commissioned. With all subcontracting, you will lose the 100% oversight of quality. TO become a big time player in the collectibles game, they will need to step up their game. Otherwise DP will become the “one hit wonder”. Collectors won’t keep returning to the empty well.

As for the scale, there are 2 areas they need to look at. First is as Rich pointed out most fire collectors collect the larger scales (1/64 and up). This is born out of necessity. These are the scales we have been given. Therefore one would naturally think this would be the scales to focus on. However the HO train market is roughly $500 million a year in the US. Take a minute to let that sink in. In addition there is a “need” for decent modern fire apparatus in this scale.

If I was venturing into the HO market here are the areas to consider:
1. Most HO train modelers want generic models to fit their layout. A Boston truck does not work in the Midwest. This is one reason you saw Athearn do so many releases in their fire line. Therefore plain models much like the Boley’s will sell better.
2. Most HO train modelers use the vehicles as accessories to their trains. Therefore they do not need many operating details. The exact opposite can be said for the HO vehicle modelers. We require that it all works.
3. Scale is of the utmost importance to HO vehicle modelers/collectors. A model being even 2-3 scale points off will often get left behind in the market place.
4. Details are very important to the modeler. Things like clear lenses for lights and easily removable accessories are preferred to cast in place items.
5. Injected molded plastic is preferred over die cast to the modeler. It is easier to work with and provides much greater detail than metal.

All this being said, if DP is going to make models for the collector, they should make some repaints of the existing models. However be prepared for the onslaught of criticism that the models don’t match the prototype, all we get are repaints, etc.

In regards to the HO models, I would release the Pierce Quint and E-One HP75 in plain colors. Keep it simple. Release them in red, red over white, white and perhaps yellow or white over yellow. I wouldn’t even add the striping like Boley does. Most times the tampo printing is sub-par and detracts from the look of the model. Get these models in to the hobby shops where the modelers go. With roughly 2500-3000 hobby shops in the US alone, there is a market for these. Also based on the current models they should be priced a little lower than they currently are. Twenty dollars is more than what most HO modelers will pay for a model of this quality.

I’m stepping off.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for stepping on. Well said!

My head is spinning! I have been charged with developing a new collection of North American fire trucks for Del Prado. Talk about trying to find a happy medium!! The points brought up previously are all insightful. Based on sales since early December, 1:87 has been popular with our Pierce Quint and HP 75 selling really well. I would caution collectors to pick up a Pierce Bronto also in 1:87 while they can as we are almost sold out, and I don't foresee this releasing anytime soon.
If you could all take a moment and make your voice heard please respond to the following survey:

1. Generic paint schemes or specific cities?
2. What is your favorite GENERIC color scheme?
3. What truck would you like to see produced (ALF,KME, ladder, pumper etc... Be realistic!
4. Scale: 1:87 or 1:64?
5. Vintage apparatus or modern?

We're taking all information and suggestions to heart in order to try and develop a collection you will be proud to display.

Thanks!
Jeff
AwesomeDiecast.com

OK, Jeff, here's my vote:

1. Generic paint schemes. Code 3 already does the specific cities.

2. Solid red gets my vote. But DP could do things as Boley has done: offer models in 3 or 4 different color schemes. That way everyone is happy.

3. Pierce, E-One, ALF, KME, Spartan, whatever. Aerial laders and pumpers, along with some heavy rescues would be great.

4. Need I say? Dead-on 1:87. No 1/80 scale that's supposed to be 1/87. True 1/87 scale!!!

5. Modern AND vintage (vintage in as like the 1974 Seagrave pumper. Just shrink the one down that's in 1:64 scale into 1:87 scale and that would make a terrific rig.

Just my 2-cents above in the voting.

what we need in 1/87th/HO scale is
Pierce Ladder Tower &
Mid mount Ladder Tower, a Pierce Arrow XT
would be very nice !

Who will be the first Mfg. to make
the Pierce Velocity
(the next generation of Fire
Apparatus, ( Miami Dade has already ordered some

OK Jeff here are my picks,
1. Generic. If sells well, then maybe a city or two.

2.1/87 scale HO scale. If that is the train scale that you are building for, then, 1/87 it should be.

3. Make all makes. Seagrave, Pierce, ALF, KME. cabs, then make all types of pumps. Top mount side mount. Then make all types of bodies. Pumper, rescue pumper, midi pumper, light rescues, heavy rescues, tamdom axel heavy rescues, mid mount towers, rear mount ladders, tillers. Make them all in modular building. You can have one cab, say a Pierce XT, and you can make a pumper, tower and a rescue, buy just using one cab. I have an extensive HO scale layout in my basement. It is set in modern times. I only had 1980s or so Mack CFs and ALFs protecting my fair city. Boley came along and solved my modern pumper problem. I wanted certain types of apparatus. Mack CF Arielscopes. So, I made them. The Del Praods are sweet! I do have several, 2 Brontos, 2 Vegas Rescues, 2 Pierce quints, 2 E-one Quints, and 2 E-One RMs. You have to do a better job on the details. If it is going to be a Ladder. Please make the ladder fully operaitonal. Just raising and lowering and not fully extending is a tease and a turn off. Only if Matchbox made that beatiful Seagrave Meanstick in 1/87. what a hit that would have been. Just like the Mack MC rescue. That is what we need from Del Prado. A few sure hits. To keep us coming back. Thanks, take care, Scottie

Scottie, that Mack MC rescue is close enough to 1/87 scale, and like you, it has a home in my fleet!

I agree about the Matchbox Seagrave Meanstick: too bad it wasn't in 1/87 scale, because there'd be a few in my fleet!

Yep, one cab that can be used with multiple bodies would be great.

Anyone think of doing some kitbashing by placing the Athearn Telesqurt onto the DP Pierce quint?

1.generic.
2.red&white.almost everything in my dept.is r&w or has some white in em'.
3.seagrave,pierce,spartan,e-one,kme,freightliner.everything.
4.1/87,1/87 & 1/87 !.
5.modern and vintage.some type of mini pumper or urban interface vehicle would be great.i would love to see a mother of all pumper-tanker's.i mean a huge dual axle one with the box type tank not the barrel.although it will never happen i would love to see some vintage and modern ambo's.a huge gap exist's in the ho ambo.dept.also like to see a huge tandem axle rescue.we all have idea's but who's gonna listen ?.

Matchbox Mack Rescues

Not really related to the subject of the thread, but couldn't resist pointing out that if you get one of the HO manufacturer's sets of extra truck wheels (like Herpa's) or take some from another HO scale truck, they make the MB Mack look about 100% better - the wheels may not be exactly prototypically accurate (since most of the HO wheel sets are for European trucks) but the added realism is worth it. If you really want to go all out you can grind off the raised metal piece on the roof (for the light bar), add a new bar, air horns, new bumper, side mirrors, etc, all from HO scale parts or old trucks (air horns and mirrors are available in HO scale train detailing sets).

Interesting input guys, thanks! Generic seems to be the preference from what I'm hearing. The only issue is we have to produce 3000 units at a time. These trucks will first come to America and then release later on in Europe, not vice versa as it has been. Whether European collectors (and there are a lot!) would buy generic or would prefer American cities still has to be researched. You're getting just a taste of what goes into the development and risk required (will it sell?) in producing replica fire trucks.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR COMMENTS COMING or email me directly. I would also like to see any special model bashing using a Del Prado truck. $20 gift certificate from AwesomeDiecast.com for the best ones which we will post on the website.

On another note, if any of you want to pick up one of the just released First Gear EMS trucks done for the Broward County Sheriff Department of Fire Rescue, I have them on sale on the website for a limited time @ $49.95.

1. Generic

2. all red, white over red, black over red, all yellow or lime, etc.

3. Pierce XT, Pierce Velocity, Pierce Quantum new grill and headlights)...would like to see engines, tillers, ladders, ext. on these chassis. All modern trucks

4. True 1/87

5. Modern

Sean

id like to see the two quints done in 1:64 scale( the pierce and e-one) as well as many other 1:64th. i thing they could c3 a run for there money

I'm assuming that this is a dead issue??!! It's only been 5 years!

I came across this thread when I Googled looking for other information and thought it would be fun to repost. It was fun reading all the suggestions, and I remember when this was going on like it was yesterday. Hard to believe it was 5 years ago!

Who knows, maybe the issue can be brought back to life since that other company is producing the old DP models again?! I doubt it but it's always fun to dream!

At the time this issue was alive and kicking I really felt like Jeff Silver was going to be able to make this happen. But I think DP went out of business not too long after he asked us for ideas and opinions.

FWIW, I'd still love to see the DP Pierce 75-foot quint in solid red! It's much more compatible with 1-87 than the E-One HP75 quint, which is more like, I think someone mentioned, 1-90 scale, though it's marked as 1-87.

Yup dead issue. That being said there are a few new models from Del Prado in the Amercom brand in Poland.

So far only seen on ebay. There is a ALF 900 open cab in 1/64, Mack C Rescue in 1/72, a Maxim, Buffalo, and a few others in both 1/64 and 1/72.

There is also a 1940s GMC in what is listed as 1/87 scale. Once, I am hoping to be able to get a few for my collection or trade bait.

Jeff

Hello fellas, I'm new to this...actually just stumbled onto this searching for 1/87 scale rescue pumper bodies since RD Models is "closed" to a family illness. I am a 1/87 scale kitbasher that utilized several DP quint cabs with Boley S&S bodies and one with the DP Miami Quantum rescue pumper body. Anyway, I saw on eBay Amercom's DP quint for sale and purchased it in February...still awaiting delivery. What I found interesting in the pics was a slight redesign. The aerial was 3 sections and fully extended and the mirrors were mounted sideways instead of vertically. I will let you guys know how it is when it arrives. But going back to this blog, I wished they made a current style Pierce Arrow cab/chassis with a basic pumper body, a PUC body and a rear mount tower ladder. Maybe Amercom can do this??? Does anyone know if Jeff from Awesome Diecast has contact with them perhaps he can pass everyones ideas to Amercom? I look forward to hearing back from everyone.

Keith

I don't think Jeff Silver has the input or influence anymore since it's no longer Del Prado models.

Well, I received the Amercom Pierce Quint a few days ago. It's pretty much identical to the Del Prado version except for a few minor differences. As I previously stated, the aerial is now three sections and fully extends. It also stays elevated at various heights. The mirrors are not mounted properly, they are sideways and have curved arms, but can be modified. Also, the tampos are similar, but not as crisp. This model is still a great piece, especially for the modest price and has numerous possibilities for kitbashing. I'm not sure if any retailers in the US have these Pierce Quints yet, but have seen them on eBay.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks for the update. I really didn't look at the Pierce because I already have several for jobs. But the 3 section ladder might make getting one worth it. I looked at one of them on eBay and the mirrors look like they were just installed wrong.

Also there is a GMC listed as 1/87. It is not. It is a nice model but not 1/87.

Jeff

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)