Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tom Showers Young Crusader

When this model came to me it was quite a depressing mess. Cleaning all of the pieces up and giving them a new paint job was a bit time consuming. I added the lights on the cab, a new front bumper, windshield wipers, rear view mirrors, deck gun, hose reels and new pump panel. I also added new headlights, Federal Q and gold leaf scroll work.
Tom never superdetailed the underside of the truck. He used the Aurora frame, axles and wheels where he could. Pin striping and lettering were all done by hand. No ALPS printers and decal paper in those days.

Re: Tom Showers Young Crusader

Just WOW like all models you did.

Patrick.

Absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately we probably won't ever see this model made by a large scale manufacturer. We will just have to admire the work of 2 great modelers.

What a fantastic model! Would love to see more of Tom's masterpieces.

That is AMAZING.. the crusader 1 has ALWAYS been my favorite piece of apparatus, simply incredible... did he scratchbuild the cab? How was the windshield done? Not to offend but I would give my left nut for that piece (I'd probably have better luck buying a full scale piece )

Simply amazing...I don't know what else to say.

Twelve years after Toms'passing, I'm glad to see that his art is being restored and preserved for future enthusiasts by one of his peers. Guys with skill of this caliber are a rare breed.

In museums, I could never understand the apeal of some paintings by the so-called Masters. I've seen my niece do better with crayons. Now in our modern era, you have the Dali and Worhol mostrosities. Between a portrait of a can of soup, and some fool wraping fabric around islands in the waters off Miami, no wonder art isn't appreciated.

Here we have an object that can be appreciated, the work of a skilled technician creating a true Masterpiece, and the equal skill of a second incorporating materials available today to construct an outstanding work of Art.

Who needs a pass to the Goginheim, when you have a link to ATEV.

You guys are all correct - Tom and Charlie are artists in the best sense of the word. Like I said in an earlier post, I am fortunate to have two models that were built by Tom and then restored by Charlie. The Crusader has a special place in my collection not just for that reason, but I sold Youngs for several years and the Crusaders were special to me. I will attempt to photograph a bunch of the Showers models - in particular his Luna Beach rigs and post them if I can figure out how to do it.

Bob, that would be much appreciated. I'd like to see those Luna Beach rigs again.

Rich the windshield is just some clear plastic that was glued in place with 5 minute epoxy. I traced a pattern for it first and then ran the clear plastic under hot water to bend it at the outside corners. With a fair amount of trial fitting I was able to get it to fill the opening. I ran the epoxy around the windshield frame first and let it sit until tacky. Then the clear plastic was put in place . Waiting a bit with the epoxy insures that it won't mess up the "glass".
Notice, however, that Tom did not shape the front of the cab quite like the real thing. He left it flat instead of having the slight extension out in front of the windshield. Not an easy thing to do. He scratch build the cab and body from plastic sheet stock.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)