Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FYI: New '57 Chevy Chief's Car 1/18

http://www.diecastdirect.com/asp_modules/add_item.asp?ProductCode=DCP50544

Re: FYI: New '57 Chevy Chief's Car 1/18

I saw that the other day while looking thru their site.
Another 2 door though !
I am a little suprised that one has not been done on the more recent 18th scale Ford CV ?

If someone gets one, please post if they markings come off easily...Its a little pricey for an experiment. I would like to "clean" one and make a red Philadelphia Police Car.

Thanks
Ed

I was looking at the police version the other day (http://www.diecastdirect.com/asp_modules/add_item.asp?ProductCode=DCP50543). Ever since Diecast Promotions produced a 1:18th scale Chevy 150, I've been hoping they would do a police car! This is the first '57 Chevy SEDAN produced in any scale, as far as I know, and even better that it's the bare-bones 150 rather than the Bel Air (although there were a few of those as police cars). A 4-door would be even better since most photos of actual '57 Chevy police cars are 4-doors, but according to Ed Sanow, the standard Chevy police package in 1957 was available on the 210 and 150 2-door sedans and also on 4-doors. At first, I thought the markings probably were a generic California-style sheriff or PD, but upon closer examination (hard to tell from the angle of the photo), it's possible they might be CHP. I sure hope not, because that would ruin the accuracy of the car itself. Although the CHP 7-point star by itself (with no lettering) would be accurate for 1957, CHP cars didn't have white roofs until 1961 and never used the Beacon Ray or any other rotating roof light until lightbars came along. I also have no evidence that CHP used the '57 Chevy (the only cars I've seen confirmed for '57 in CHP were Dodge and Pontiac.) One can only hope it's a "generic." With all the reference material available today, it amazes me that a company will invest a bundle in making a police car and ignore references that would enable them to make an accurate replica...

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)