Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Code 3 Turning Point / The Great SPS Nits List

As someone still "mad" about the SPS system inaccuracies, let me pose this thought. Was *that* the release that signaled the sea change with Code 3? From that point forward, has accuracy gone downhill to a degree? I wonder...

Here's my great SPS nits list, for those that never saw it. Signed, Obsessive.

SUPER PUMPER SYSTEM DISCREPANCY LIST

v1.1

Compiled by Mike "Does This Guy Have Too Much Free Time Or What?" Legeros

Reference Sources: "The F.D.N.Y. Super Pumper System" by John A. Calderone, 1985, Fire Apparatus Journal Publications; Comments by Collectors

Assumptions / Observations: Models represent SPS at or around the time of delivery. Models are most detailed SPS replica to date and certainly worth owning.

Predictions: ALF Century and Mack CF satellites / maxi-water units some day, if the SPS is a resounding success.

Comments, corrections, or complaints to mikey "at" legeros "dot" com

Minutiae are good.

--

SUPER PUMPER

Real rig had hydraulic crane at time of delivery (Calderone, page 8); model has replacement mechanical crane that was installed later.

Real rig had "FDNY" lettering removed below "SPS / SP 1" on trailer, after mechanical crane was installed (page 10); model has "SPS / SP 1 / FDNY" lettering on trailer.

Real rig had seventh, larger air tank mounted in middle behind the cab (page 10, page 48); model is missing same.

Real rig had bell mounted behind the cab on driver's side (page 8); model is missing same. Bell subsequently moved atop air tank on driver's side (page 9) and then atop air tank on passenger's side (page 9).

Real rig appears to have had silver or perhaps diamond-plate walkway atop trailer at some point (page 48); model has red-painted, non-diamond-plate walkway.

Real rig had jacks for detaching trailing (page 10); model does not.

Real rig had siren atop cab closer to beacon and dual air horns at or around time of delivery (page 15-16); model has siren farther from beacon and single air horn, both apparently later modifications (page 9).

Real rig had clear roof beacon; model has red roof beacon.

SUPER TENDER

Real rig was delivered without outrigger graphics (page 15); model has outrigger graphics added after McEntyre monitor was replaced with Stang monitor.

Real rig had rear steering removed at time of Stang monitor installation (page 33); model displays rear steering, which is correct. So if you bash a Stang monitor for accuracy, then you should remove Mr. Steering Wheel as well.

Real rig initally displayed slightly different trailer graphics, "SPS / Tender 1" (page 15, page 48) but without "FDNY" as displayed on model

Real rig displayed "SPS / Tender 1" and later "SPS / Tender 1 / FDNY" in correct order on driver's side (page 69), versus "Tender 1 / SPS / FDNY" as displayed on model. D'oh!

Real rig appears to have had plain metal atop trailer plus a short ladder at some point (page 48); model has diamond plate and no short ladder.

Real rig had jacks for detaching trailer (page 36); model does not.

Real rig had siren atop cab, located beside beacon (page 16); model does not.

Real rig had clear roof beacon; model has red roof beacon.

SATELLITES

Real rigs had hand carts *and* portable manifolds (page 46); models have hand carts only. The system initially had just one portable manifold, carried in a chief's car (page 30, text). They proved so valuable that each satellite was equipped accordingly.

Real rigs had door lights or reflectors (page 19); models have none.

Real rigs had clear roof beacons; models have red roof beacons.

Real rigs had appearing and disappearing fender bells (pages 19-21); models have fender bells.

Satellite 1 had both a white monitor base and red and white wheels at some point (page 46); model has white monitor only.

Satellite 1 and Satellite 2 had additional FDNY door decals at some point (page 20); models do not have additional door decals.

Satellite 2 had subway straps and all-white headlights at some point (page 40); model has no subway straps and red and white headlights.

Satellite 2 had red roof horn and red fender siren at some point (page 44); model has silver for both.

Satellite 3 had no subway straps and all-white headlights at some point (page 21); model has subway straps and red and white headlights.

Satellite 3 had what looks like a yellow monitor base at some presumably later point (page 43); model has red monitor base.

ENTIRE SYSTEM

Real rigs had Mack bulldogs on front of cabs.

Real rigs had working engines, transmissions, warning lights, etc. :-)

mjl

Code 3 Turning Point / The Great SPS Nits List

Wow, you really do have too much time on your hands. I didn't even know that the models had that much detail (I probably should remove them from their boxes and look sometime), even if most may be incorrect, or from mixed different eras.

Below is a GOOGLE link to a variety of on-line Dating Services (endorsed by Antonelli). Good luck, and I'm sure that "Certain Someone Firegirl" is out there for you. LOL

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DATING+SERVICES&btnG=Google+Search

Re: Code 3 Turning Point / The Great SPS Nits List

Blue Bird buses aside, I think once the SPS was made, that was it......Even Code 3 called it, essentially, the crown jewel of firefighting diecast. We begged for it, we got, now what's left--yes the answer is LOTS, but we pretty much all we're hoping for SPS at some point.

Now, out of 100 or better potentially apparatus we mention (past or present) on this Board, for every one that is made, the other 99 view that model as a tremendous dissappointment.

Not "all" of us wanted or asked for it....... & it really doesn't surprise me that it didn't sell.(nor do the inaccuracies surprise me)

Methinks accuracy has if anything improved especially with their modular construction.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)