Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Diecast Direct's new police line

Dick,

thank you for the info, i def will order them

Location: Behind the **** on my wooden shoes smoking some free grass

Chuck,

I agree with 100%. Using the 3 foot rule to look at a model, most of this goes away. I would like to see them re-issue the 80's Caprice. Or if they decide to invest in a new mold, the Grand Fury/Diplomat, LTD, or even the Monaco.

Heck if they decide to concentrate on Modern pieces how about a Tahoe or Suburban?
I really went away from police modeling in 1/43 because there isn't much new out there.

Jeff

How about a late 80s Crown Vic wagon?!?

Chuck, I agree that it would be great to see a '70s or late '80s police car. I believe it was Mark B. who posted here 2-3 years ago saying that Corgi had planned to follow their '74 Monaco with a late '80s Diplomat if the Monaco sold well - apparently it did not. It's amazing that Corgi has produced literally dozens of different British police cars ranging all the way from the '50s to the present and apparently sells enough of them to crank out at least 10 or 12 new ones every year. I've talked to some people in the business who said that the interest in the late '80s Dodge or Plymouth just wasn't there, that most cops (who the industry seems to think constitute the bulk of police collectors) only want what they're driving now. I don't think that's true, but that's the conventional wisdom. Of course, a lot of the police business comes from customizers and premier orders from departments and retailers, and those usually want current vehicles. I think the only customizer who regularly does vintage cars is Dan Coviello. However, I agree that there are many significant police cars from the '60s through the '80s that should be made - but I doubt we'll see many of them. (Sorry, the Taurus isn't one of them, in my opinion.) Regarding Jeff's points, unfortunately the White Rose molds for the '88 Caprice and the Mustang both were lost in China somehow - Elaine at Northwest Police Products told me that they wanted to do RCMP versions of both and that's what they were told. There are some other modern police vehicles available in 1:43rd besides the Crown Vics - Gearbox Impala and Expedition, Hongwell Tahoe, Welly Suburban and now the DD Charger will be coming out.

I agree 100% with what Dick has posted. It all comes down to cost on behalf of the diecast company and how they think they can re coup the cost of what they invest. I have read that to produce a new castings it costs the company thousands of dollars to do so.
However, Diecast Direct have an extra advantage when it comes to this. They were shrewd enough to purchase already in existance castings that Fleer once had. Now its up to the collector to support the cars that they release. If the sales are there it will give them plenty of food for thought when it comes to investing in other castings such as a Diplomat. Corgi proved that three years ago when they stipulated that any future castings of US police cars would depend on the sales of the Dodge Monaco. The Dodge was a fine diecast model, however they did not sell well.
Diecast Direct have shown that they will produce new castings such as the Dodge Charger, its up to us to support their new line of police vehicles. You never know what Diecast Direct and Dennis Deal may decide to do in the future.

Here is a list of 10 departments I would like to see.
1. LAPD Crown Vic.
2. San Francisco Crown Vic.
3. Las Vegas Metro Crown Vic.
4. San Diego Crown Vic.
5. Miami Dade Crown Vic.
6. Nevada Highway Patrol Crown Vic.
7. Boston PD Crown Vic.
8. Oakland California PD Crown Vic.
9. Dallas PD Crown Vic.
10. Oklahoma Highway patrol Crown Vic.

All we need is for cities such as LA and Dallas not to be such hard As%es when it comes to giving permission.

I see that Jeff over at Policecarmodels.com will be also carrying this line.

Also Manny's Diecast - I expect a lot of dealers will have it eventually.

Only the MSP s out at this time?

What about NHSP or Mass SP.

I was rather disappointed with Walt COnroys Mass SP SUV. The colors were wrong.

There will be more departments. These cars won't be available for at least a couple of months. There are about 30 departments lined up for the Charger. DD may be aiming the Crown Vic more at the customizing and premier markets since there are so many versions out there already.

For the record, Walt Conroy didn't have anything to do with the Mass. SP Expedition other than selling them like all the other Gearbox dealers. I wrote him as soon as I received it and said the colors were off. He said he'd received complaints from 3 others by that time and was going to ask Gearbox. Never heard what the response was.

I'd say you can be sure that the First Response cars won't have color problems. Dennis is a stickler for accuracy in colors, markings and equipment. Uses factory paint codes where he can get them. He even took a paint chip off the inside of the trunk of a '49 Ford to match it when he was doing those for White Rose!

I hope DD release more than a few versions of the Crown Vic. Whilst the Charger is an impressive car, I believe that the Crown Vic looks great as a police car. Not to mention that it is a great casting of this car.

Excellent. Dick might you tell us who else is planned for the chargers?

NYPD and MASS SP would be must dos

I sure hope my pre-order went through?? Never got a response back from DD and no response to an e-mail I sent last week? I can't wait to see how these cars turn out. It sounds like a great deal for us cop car collectors. I really hope that DD comes through with some blank versions for us to customize our little hearts out with

John, I don't have a list of all the Chargers. The only ones I know of are Virginia and New Hampshire State Police. I'm going to ask Dennis for a list if he can give that out. NYPD is pretty plain looking but I know they'd sell. I would really like to see the Maryland Transportation Authority Police Charger made that was at Police Week last year - it was the only one they had (at least at that time it was).

Diecast Direct have a website now for the First Response line. All it has is that more info is coming soon. The web address is firstresponsereplicas.com. But as I said, nothing on it yet.

Need 70s and 80s Fords. Please !!

I appreciate the new offerings of Police models in 1/43rd, as the market has been scarce for Cop stuff in that scale. However, when will we ever see a late 70s and early 80s Ford? Plus I'm surprised no company has ever issued a Taurus in 1/43rd scale. One more Crown Vic, no mater how nice, is just another addition to the already over issued multitude of CVs on the market.

The answer to Chuck's question is probably never. The reason yet another FCV is being made is that the mold was already available, probably at a very good price since the sports card company that bought Fleer's stuff didn't really want the police diecasts. Personally, I would much rather see an '80s Fury or Diplomat made than a Ford, but I'd welcome anything from that period - but a TAURUS? Now THERE was a real police car... At least there's a plastic model of it, which is more than can be said for many other police cars far more deserving of immortality...

Chuck, you certainly appreciate the more obscure vehicles used in LE and EMS. First the Bluebird bus and now the Ford Taurus.

Please Gentlemen. I just lost my 1997 Jeep with 99,699 miles due to an unintended kitbash with a guardrail. Now I find I will get a Ford Hybrid Escape SUV, or a dreaded Impala. Heaven help me if I get a Ford Focus Hybrid. I would settle for a beatup Taurus, as that in my opinon is an upgrade over the new Environmentally Friendly shoeboxes.

As for a Taurus model in 1/43rd. Well, I see a lot of those slugs in local PD dress, and it definately is a subject that needs modeling. As for the older Dodges, Chevys, and Fords, they would be very welcome. Why no plain white cars from past eras is really beyond me. So many aftermarket decals, and all we have are CVs. Oh well, I agree that the manufacturers will never catch on to what we really want.

But back to First Response, I'd purchase a FHP, and blanks if available. Why not, it was a nice issue in PSP.

Chuck, hope you had a stash of FHP decals for your projects. Someone just ran out of them.
I have long said that one day, someone in China is going to sit down at a computer, and read this forum, FireEngines.net, ScaleFireHouse and perhaps a few others. And they are going to grasp what is said. And from then on, that person will basically have a license to print US currency. Its bound to happen. Probaby later than sooner, but one day someone with the power to change, will do it. Then we will realize those long sought after models of vintage police and fire vehicles. Might be a few less doo dads or maybe not exactly what we want, but it can be done.
Many in the diecast industry think they know what we want, but we never seem to see it. I think the Diplomat, Taurus, the 9C1 Nova, early Impala and Caprice, Days of Fury's Past, the Monaco and even a nice in scale station wagon for supervisor vehicles, all models that would sell well decorated, or plain. Maybe if the FDNY used it, we would have seen it already. Some new spark in the police car line could bring a lot of collectors back. It could promt me to reprint, or print new decals. Or maybe not. Only time is going to tell. Sounds like Diecast Direct may be on to something. Going to have to watch, but not give up hope.

I hope to see the very pretty blue ande gold of The WV State Police.

John

Re: Die cast Direct's new police line

Since the boom in 1/50 scale fire apparatus, how about someone moving into 1/50 with 4 door sedans, pick ups & (yuk!) SUVs? I personally would prefer 4 doors & station wagons, 1990 & earlier, & of the Ford blood line. Early 70s & previous MOPARs would be nice as well.

Diecast Direct MUST get their hands on the Fleer 1973 Plymouth castings.

I owned a 1/1 Plymouth(wayyyyyyyyyyy back when) & those 1/43 pieces just never looked right to me.

The 69 casting is not real good. The 72 casting was a big improvement. The 73 was even better but not perfect. In his earlier post, Dick mentions that they are trying to locate the 72 and 73 castings to purchase. The 73 casting deserves a place in this new line IMHO.

While I do look forward to DD's new line (especially generic Chargers that I can customize for my departments new cruisers), I'm not overly excited that the Crown Vic is a slightly re-hashed Fleer mold. With all due respect to everyone here, Fleer's FCV was only marginally better than Gearbox's, and BOTH suffer from poor proportioning, incorrect wheel size, incorrect windshield and window shapes, heavy handed details like door moldings, etc., etc., etc. They are only passable, and clumsy renderings of the actual FCV.

There is only one, properly proportioned, correctly shaped and detailed FCV. That is IXO's. Of course, when you compare IXO's price tag to Fleer and Gearbox, it's only natural. They obviously took a great deal more time and effort to insure their FCV was right, and passed those more expensive tooling efforts on to the consumer.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably grab some of DD's FCV's. I just think IXO's are lightyears ahead in quality and detail than the others (albiet without operating features). Just my $.02.

And talking of IXO's FCV, read my previous post concerning a few bargains to be found for kitbashers of this model,
http://pub14.bravenet.com/forum/1136930767/show/585165

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)