Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question for the truckies out there

I can't remember, but when you identify a ladder or platform as being "100 foot", that's measured how--isn't it the ladder fully extended at 85 degrees measured from tip (or bottom of bucket) to the ground OR is it tip to the top of the cab of the apparatus?? And is the 85 degrees even accurate.....or is it 80?

Re: Question for the truckies out there

The length of an aeriel ladder is measured from the ground to the tip of the ladder when it is fully extended regardless of the angle. It is the actuall feet it can reach, and includes the height of the truck itself.

If it's a platform I believe the top measurement is taken at the top of the rail.

DEATH VALLEY

So if a Department is located in Death Valley, we can assume thet they mau run a truck with a ladder in "minus" footage? I wonder if a station exists, and do they have -235' on their vehicle.

A typical call: "Hey dude, we have a fire at the Dusty's Borax Mine down in Dry Gultch. Make sure the alarm calls for the -235" TDA to be there".

Just pondering. LOL

Chuck....I think that Death Valley FD TDA is pulled by 20 mules. Anyone remember the old Borax 20 mule team wagon plastic kits from the 60's or 70's. Used to have a half a dozen, finally sold them unbuilt.

The length of the ladder or platfom is measured with the ladder fully extended at 75 degrees, and measured from the ground to the top rung or front rail of the platform.

From NFPA 1901:

"20.2.2 The rated vertical height of an aerial ladder shall be at least 50 ft (15 m) and shall be measured in a vertical plane with the ladder at maximum elevation and extension from the outermost rung of the outermost fly section to the ground."

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)