Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TARP ????

Chuck: Some hobby shops (that carry remote control airplanes)have a material that looks just like hose cover tarps. It even comes in red. I can't remember the name of it.

You may also try Fiberglass Matting that goes over the Balsa Wood Frames for Hobby Airplanes.

I concur with Jeff's suggestion. I used to use the diluted glue/paper towel method when I was into Armor modeling.

Another suggestion is the see if you can get your hands on some large-diameter heat shrink tubing, like the type that's used to insulate heavy electrical splices. Slip it over your subject, trim it up, then hit it with a heat gun.

Chuck .... I found that a Kleenex tissue soaked in the paint of the colour of the tarp and shaped while wet then allowed to dry works the best and gives the matt and rough look of a tarp...use matt paint, It is messy but comes up a treat when dry and is flexible, best to give it the shape you want whilst it is wet.

Suggestion from a scratch builder. Dilute some water with a bit of Elmer's white glue. Stir it in well. soak a kleenex tissue in the mixture after you have cut a piece that you can drape over what you want to cover. Being wet it will drap almost naturally. After it dries paint the "tarp" with a flat paint. If it is really a canvas tarp it probably would be a dark green, almost black. A modern "blue tarp" could be painted with a gloss medium to light blue because it is shiney. I don't think I would soak the kleenex directly in the paint as it would be very difficult to work with and clean up if you got any on the model and needed to wipe it clean. The white glue/water mix can be taken off with a moist Q-tip.

Thanks to everyone. All are great ideas, and worth a try to see which works out best for my particualr need. I did pick up a plastic table cloth from a party store. Here is a shot of a first try. Maybe a combination of a couple of techniques will also work. Thanks again.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/CFDBASHER/FDFF%20HELICOPTER/HELO1.jpg

Thanks for the different take on it Chariots....I ended up making a mockup of the items I wanted the tarp for,XNFJ so it didn't matter about getting paint on it...will use your advice now ...good idea..

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)