Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
STRIPPING PAINT FROM C3 HELO TIP

DON'T !!!!

Unfortunately, I attempted to remove tampos, then strip the paint from a Code 3 CFD Helicopter. The silver trim paint removed with MINOR effort using Non Acetone Nail Polish Remover (NANPR). The maroone paint did not budge. I even tried ELO. That had no effect.

I was going to mask off areas, then primer and paint, but a trial area indicated overlapping paint left visible lines.

Note: remove plastic details. Next I stripped model with SAVOGRAN brand STRYPTEZE paste. There was even some difficulty, so I applied and rinsed off four coats. About satisfied, I used an Xacto blade to get remnant paint out of door jams.

Now the problem. I did remove (or break off) all the plastic parts from the main body. What did I fail to notice? The window glass are black plastic inserts (like a fake fingernail), in a depression at each window pane. These panes (or pains), after the SAVOGRAN semi dissolved and attacked them, had to be pried out with an Xacto. They are glued in very well (a superglue?), and pre stripping removal may not be feasible (without breaking them). I finished stripping with a Dremel paint removal wheel (wire brush).

So if you decide to convert one of thes birds, either mask windows, and primer (and put up with raised paint tampos), or strip and be prepared to fabricate new window material from vinyl.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: STRIPPING PAINT FROM C3 HELO TIP

Well, that sucks.

Hang in there, Chuck. There aren't too many (none?) out there that have had a decent conversion. I'm looking forward to seeing the 'Green and White' flying the friendly skies.

Eric

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)