Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ISN'T ABOUT TIME CORGI GOT SUED FOR THEIR MISREPRESENTATION ??

I make purchases sometimes to combine models into sets. When I see a certain scale, I expect that model to be in that scale, or at least very close. I just received three Corgi models, all advertised, and posted on the box, as 1/64th scale. Of the tree, only their Bradley Fighting Vehicle appears close to 1/64th.

However, their Little Bird Helicopter is definately 1/72nd or smaller. Their AH-64D Apache is at least 1/48th scale. Both say 1/64th in large script on the box, and are advertised as a continuity set ("1/64TH SCALE DIE-CAST COLLECTION").

I'm am tired of this firm placing a false scale on their packaging and advertisements solely to convince customers to purchase multiple items of a particular grouping. I consider this practice as swindling, and they know it. Its no mistake, its clear cut misrepresentation.

I will not blame the distributor (Spirit of 76) for this one. It's typical Corgi BS, and I will never purchase another of their products. So go ahead apologizers, tell me how I should just grin and bear it. No wonder the common man gets screwed at the gas pump, and every where else these days.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: ISN'T ABOUT TIME CORGI GOT SUED FOR THEIR MISREPRESENTATION ??

Actually, that series is just about right on scale. I have all 3 & have measured(also have the A-1 Abrams & the USMC recon unit). I also have a 1/48 Apache & it's FAR larger.

As far as suing for misrepresented scale, I haven't seen a company yet that sticks to it's "advertised" scale. Most pieces advertised as 1/64, aren't even close.(JADA,Johnny Lightning, Matchbox, Hot Wheels, etc, etc, etc...including C-3 as well in the past few years)

Hey Chuck it's 1/64 in the Metric system they use over there!!

Seriously, I've given up on scaling all together.....if they look good together, they get placed next to each other, if they don't.....seperate shelves.

For trucks I'm content with anything between 1/87 and 1/50.....cars 1/64 to 1/43. Anything else is too large.

I firmly believe the only folks that make the legitimate effort to be dead on with scale are the railroaders.....most of the 1/87 stuff is precision and dead on. Anything else is up for interpretation.

You are probably right, but at least I get to blow off some steam here on ATEV, and feel better. As for the Little Bird, I see an actual unit of a similar model about everyday, and believe me, its no 1/64th. The Apache may be closer to 1/55th, as I am not aquainted with one. But also not 1/64th. I wouldn't mind if the scale wasn't posted in block letters on the box, but in all honesty they count of sales using that deception, and it should stop.

Nuke the Corgi General Offices from orbit? Of course not. I would never consider such drastic action over a toy. Besides, my only ICBM is targeting C3. LOL

Very similar to Code 3 AND 1st Gear 1/32...No way are they all 1/32.
Actually,some ain't even close.

Humble Apologies to CORGI on AH-64 D

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ah-64a-3-view.gif

I checked out a web site on the Apache AH-64 D. And I was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, and WRONG. The measurements I took from the model, and calculated according to the posted lengths, widths, and heights appears to be very close to the dimensions of the 1:1 helicopter. I would have bet real money that this model was way off scale.

Now I'm afraid to measure the Ah-6J. Just goes to show, even a Mensa Genius like me can make a mistake. LOL

Repainting/Detailing Corgi 1/64th (Right) Models

APACHE AH-64 D:
Dismantling the CORGI Apache AH-64 D is a real pain. The first step is to dislodge the plastic cockpit canopy, then remove the weapon pods from the stubby wings. Next, disconnect the forward visual sight, and break free the plastic side panels (use razor saw to slice front pin socket), and slide asemblies out and over the stubby wings. The tail rotor assembly snaps off easily. Twist the main rotor shaft back & forth, and free the rotor assembly.

The cockpit seating is attached to the base of the main rotor housing. To remove this section, you have to seperate the top and bottom diecast body sections. The stubby wing assembly can be removed at this point. However, I chose to primer the body as one piece, and then paint in primary color. The seating module can be hand painted afterwards. As for the cockpit canopy trim. A fine paint brush and masking tape will be employed to paint it flat black, and the primary body color. Then glue asemblies together with superglue, and Microscale Krystal Klear (white glue). Would make an interesting model as SWAT, or Fire Departments.

BRADLEY FIGHTING VEHICLE:
This model will make a nice Brush Fire Unit, with the turret removed, and extra fire details plus a water canon installed. To disassemble, drill out the two plugs at base of body. Once the upper and lower sections are disconnected, remove detail parts for paint. Many parts are plastic, so be careful before emersing in stripper. However, flat body paint will make a good base for most paints, so stripping prior to priming will not be necessary. Reassemble at will. Also an interesting SWAT or Fire Unit.

LITTLE BIRD HELICOPTER:
Carefully place plastic model on concrete block. Obtain sludge hammer from tool box. Put POS out of its misery.

Body is painted clear plastic. Extreamly difficult to mask clear canopy areas. Plus "War Grime" on windows ruins new & shinny clear glass effect. It may be feasable to place SWAT decals on body. However, flat body tone would make decal film shine, and cause toy to look worse. Vinyl lettering would be better.

FDFF BRADLEY RESCUE VEHICLE

After whinning about the scale of the CORGI 1/64th models, I repainted a Bradley tracked unit into a FDFF Rescue Unit. I just figured that firefighters caught in a firestorm could use some help, and a place to be safe. Other photos show unit on a converted C3 Oshkosh Hauler, and Renegade Rail Lowboy.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)