Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hope for Fire Version

http://www.jeftoys.com/store/images/fs/0150_40.jpg

Re: Hope for Fire Version

Chicago Salvage Squad 7 would be a good one

Mr. Softee? LOL

The model lokks like something seen in the 50s to early 70s. Or more likely, some sort of Canteen Truck run by the local volunteer (or Civil Defense, as blue & white would look great) agencies seen at many old fire scenes. You could cut out a large window on the drivers side of the box, and place a hinged, drop down serving counter below opening, with some sort of roll-up awning. Also, a short smokestack and vent on roof. It would look more prototypical than as a rescue for that era. Just a thought.

Chuck

Is that a Divco thingy?

No it's not a Divco Thingy... It's an IH Metro

Probably of an early to mid 50s vintage. I'd love to see a Civil Defense version in blue and white. and while they are doing that, the IH panel truck in CD colors also wouldn't be a bad idea either.

There were departments, especially rural ones, that ran Metros as rescue squads in the 50's.

I believe that it is a Metro Utility Van produced by the International Harvester (IH) Corporation (Corn Binder).

Our VFD ran one as a utility rig. We bought it from a bread delivery Co., restored it, and set it up to carry misc gear. Our "Emergency" truck was the first utility vehicle in our county circa 1962... The "bread wagon" ran til 1968 when she was replaced...

The Magic Letters FDNY ran similar IH between 1953 and 1959 as Field Communication Units, Mask Service Units, Squad Units 1 thru 4. They had a heavier chassis with dual rear wheels.

I photographed a nice-looking Metro van operated by the Racine County, WI, Sheriff as a Dive Rescue truck in the late 1980s. Similar to this model but longer with dual wheels.

The first rescue truck I was a LT on was one similar to this. Had a beacon ray on the roof and a siren with spinning red light over the front window. We ran it until the mid 70's. Wasn't the fastest, but carried a good bit of gear. Oh the memories.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)