Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Large scale Illinois State Police car

Wasn't there supposed to be a large scale 1/24th or so 1970's Illinois State Police car coming out in "early 2007"? I think the initial casting was for the Mt Prospect car used to model the Blues Brothers car. Any idea on when this car is available and through whom?

Re: Large scale Illinois State Police car

I also recall an announcement about this car, but never an official part number or date. Now AMT / ERTL has announced that they are getting out of the diecast and kit business, so I do not know if we will ever see this model, or any other departments on the 1/18 Monaco.

someone found one in New Hampshire.

http://www.mboxcommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34090

Your link is to Matchbox size cars, the Ertl is large 1/18th scale...?

ERTL announced the car last year using the 1/18 Monaco. They even released a few photos of the vehicle. However they dropped it after pre orders were apparently not up to expectations. Real shame.

I have seen them on ebay for nearly a year now.
black & white

http://cgi.ebay.com/1974-DODGE-MONACO-POLICE-CAR-1-18-ERTL-DIECAST-MODEL_W0QQitemZ150106407581QQcategoryZ47188QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

white

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUKES-OF-HAZZARD-74-DODGE-MONACO-1-18-SHERIFF-POLICE_W0QQitemZ160100394049QQcategoryZ758QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Read the whole post. The writer does refer to a large scale Mt. Prospect PD car.

Pete, he's talking about the Illinois State Police versions that never went into production.

Maybe the ERTL folks read one of the posts here that pointed out that the same Mt. Prospect lightbar they intended to use on the ISP car was never used by them. Since they didn't want to invest in a new lightbar, maybe they dropped the "Blues Bros" - linked ISP car and went with the "Dukes of Hazzard" car, even though the '74 Monaco was never used used on that show (as far as I know, since I almost never could force myself to watch it) and the "Hazzard Co." cars also didn't use that lightbar. Too bad ERTL felt compelled to stick to movie or TV tie-ins; a New York State Police or CHP car would have looked great.

The pilot episode and first seaon of "The Dukes of Hazzard" did, in fact, use '74/'75 Monacos, so the car modeled by Ertl is authentic, but the lights are not. All TDoH sheriff vehicles, regardless of vintage, used Federal Signal AeroDynic bars. I to, was disappointed the ISP version was dropped. Would've liked to have seen a Chicago version as well, both tied to "The Blues Brothers". And b4 someone tries to say there were only '77 vintage Royal Monacos used in the movie, watch it closely (or as many times as I have) and you will see plenty of '74/'75's in Chicago, ISP and DuPage County liveries. While the '77's (with hideaway headlights distinguishing them from '74/'75's) are much more prominent and "center stage", the older model Dodges are evident (as well as a few Chevrolet BelAirs, Ford LTD II's and even a Fairmont!)

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)