Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is Boley Done?

The subject says it all--website hasn't been updated in forever, nothing coming soon.....haven't seen anything since the Heavy Rescues last summer.... Anyone know of anything going on with them? It's a shame.....I thought they had some potential to really do a good job with decent models at a fair price.

Re: Is Boley Done?

Larry (the guy who works on the HO development, etc) is a customer where I work. He was in a few days ago and spoke about new or modified castings, sorry that I did not pay more attention! I would say the line is NOT dead, but certainly not as robust as it used to be. Despite the popularity of the HO line with collectors and customizers, the Boley management seems to be very uninterested in the HO line, despite the fact that some FIRE and other items have sold out. Next time Larry is in I will see if I can get more detaisl from him for any upcoming items and projected release dates.

Larry has been really ill, and is well on the way to recovery. The line as we know it, is dead. What Jeff said is pretty much how the management feels at Boley. They dont want to release any new tooling for any new projects, and think that customers will buy the same thing year after year. I have said it a million times, and will say it again. It does no one in this hobby any good to go to an internet forum and vent your frustrations. You must go to the source, in this case info@dept187.com and tell the folks there how you feel. They dont read this site, FireEngines.net or any other collector based sites at all. This is a toy company with a hobby line, and the name of the game for them is money and that is the bottom line. I have been talking to Larry about producing some new prototypes, but I dont see it happening. He is working on some repaints, and the possibility of using parts from the Utility Truck line and making some of it work for the Fire line. I dont really see that taking off either. Unless collectors one day unite, which I dont think I will live to see, and make a voice where it counts, we wont see anything new from Boley, and even then its sort of doubtful. A shame really. There was great potential there. Rich

I hate to say it but it appears that the industry is in a shift mode right now. The companies that have been busy seem to be slowing and loosing the desire to make bold moves and introduce new items as they have been doing for the last couple of years. This appears to be due to those that have obviously been the driving force slowing down due to other demands.

On the other hand there are a few that are making ground rumbles that have the promise of new things to come and it is exciting. This appears to be one of those times of shifts and we will just have live through it.

I just got the following e-mail reply when I wrote of my sadness at Boley discontinuing their fire and HO line. It came from florence@boleycorp.com

"Thank you for your email. We are not discontinuing our line. We do not know where you have heard about this. Business have not been the greatest in the last couple of years due to fuel crisis which in turn affected the material costing etc. so we were unable to develop additional new products. We will have to watch the market situation to determine moving forward."

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)