Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'Model Cars' Magazine - April, 2007 Issue

I recently subscribed to a magazine I hadn't heard of previously; 'Model Cars'...and while they haven't been around that long, the latest issue (April, 2007) is numbered issue # 122. It's kinda spendy...$4.50 per copy, but it's definitely upscale...very high-quality paper stock...so it's well worth the cost.

At any rate, there's an article in the April issue written by Chris Mobley called the 'Trucker's Corner' (I'm guessing that this could be a regular feature in the magazine) and this month it features what he calls 'The Scale Firehouse Online Model Contest'...

And what's neat about this is they've devoted four full-color pages to this particluar feature with numerous illustrations of model emergency vehicles that have won this year's 'contest'.

In my opinion, some of the winners are pretty neat and very well done...and some of the winners are also pretty bad...but they're still 'winners' anyway. In fact, some of the 'winners' are just re-decaled Code 3 pieces...so go figure.

But...and here comes the good part...they're also announcing the next 'contest', with some of the sponsors being American LaFrance, Don Mills Models, Evergreen Models, etc., amongst others...

In the feature they also list 'The Scale Firehouse Online Model Contest Winners in the following catagories...Firehouse Award - Best of Show; Chief's Award - Best Scratchbuilding; Member's Choice - Popular Feature; Antique Fire; Modern Fire; Fire Auto; Police Auto; Police Other; Ambulance; Tow Trucks; Diecast; Fire Aircraft; and Police Aircraft.

Then, the feature also lists 'Fire Truck Reference Links'...of which there are many...

Now...my question...is there an ATEV'er out there that is familiar with this? Like I mentioned, this was all new to me, and if Charlie would have entered his 'Lil Mo' that is currently pictured on the Board, he would probably have walked away with at least half the trophies in the 'contest', if not all of them...

I first purchased this magazine at a Barnes & Noble...in fact, that's the only place I've ever seen it prior to subscribing to it. The publisher's ISSN number for the magazine is 15274608 if that helps...

They also make reference to a web site of www.scalefirehouse.com, and low & behold, when I pulled that up, guess what also popped up right off the bat...Chuck's spectacular 1/64th scale IHC Transtar Crane Hauler that's also on 'our' Board...so SOMEONE from this Board knows about it!

I think it's worth checking out, and it may be another outlet for information about our hobby. If you can, pick up a copy of this April issue, and, if you already have a copy, are there any further comments on it?

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

Re: 'Model Cars' Magazine - April, 2007 Issue

Model Cars has been around a while. At least 5+ years. It was always a small player whan compared to Sacel Auto Enthusiast. I stopped picking it up a few years ago because I switched interests and scales. The Scale Firehouse could be related to http://scalefirehouse.com/Home.htm
SAE used to have a couple columns dedicated to emergency vehicles over the years. But that too died.

To be honest since the internet killed most of the modeling mags I have lost interest in what goes on and build for myself so I have not followed the contests any more. I just do my thing and check out the models of my "friends".

I agree that Charlie's models would win most contests. Not just the emergency categories but the overall best in show. In addition to see many amazing modelers everyone should check out the model show at Firehouse Expo. I am sure Charlie will bring his goodies.

Jeff

I'm not into contests either, but the ScaleFirehouse contest is a nice little one, which was won (deservedly so) by Charlie Rowley's '37 Seagrave TDA.

As Larry stated, there is an abundance of entries in some contests that are little more than redecaled Code 3's which are hailed as masterpieces by those who don't knwo better. This is a turn off, to me at least.

I don't enter any contests anymore, and as Jeff said I prefer to build what I like, for myself. In my humble opinion, Very few of these contests look at the technical side of a model, and are instead swayed by "curb appeal."

MODEL CARS is an up and coming publication for the car modeling hobby. The editor is Gregg Hutchings. If you subscribe the cost is about par with Scale Auto mag.
Gregg was at NNL East in March and took a number of photos of the 1400+ models on display. Included were shots of six Mack Bulldog trucks that a group of us had on display. One was of a Bulldog fire pumper I had built. The others included an oil truck, tar spreader, a "restored Bulldog dump truck, a used dump and finally a Bulldog junkpile resting in a field. All six were built by the A.T.E.A.M (Affiliated Truck Enthusiasts and Modelers) specifically for NNL East. In the coming months Model Cars will likely have a photo spread of the models Gregg took photos of.
The Scale Firehouse contest is a photo contest that opened for entries yesterday. You can find out about it at www.scalefirehouse.com. They are also an IPMS Special Interest Group, a subgroup of the International Plastic Modelers Society.
PS: I'll be at the Firehouse Expo in Baltimore along with several other modelers including Jim Clarkson from Lancaster, PA. He builds exclusively in 1/32 scale and is a MASTER at scratch building apparatus models.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)