Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just An Inquiry...

Just An Inquiry...

One of my readers asked me if I ever had any dealings with an Alex Cogger, a teenager from Canada...

From what I understand, he's selling off most of, if not all of, his Code 3 FDNY collection...

Besides numerous FDNY 'stock' models, he's also selling some kitbashes he's purchased from others, as well as some kitbashes he's done himself...I do remember seeing one he had on eBay...it was FDNY's Ladder 33, and he had 'weathered' it himself..I think it finally sold for around $75.00...

The story goes that when you purchase something from him, he's paid in advance either by International Money Order (payable to himself); or, PayPal (payable to his to his father's account)...

I was told some items that he's sent out have been received broken by the people that bought them...due to really poor packaging on his part...but he doesn't put a return address on his packages, and they are only insured up to $100.00, which is automatic when you use Canada Posts' version of our stateside Priority Mail.

He also says he has filed an insurance claim for the damaged models, but that's as far as it goes and while I'm told that he has returned e-mails in the past promising to refund the money once he receives the insurance money, no money has ever been refunded and then eventually he stops returning the e-mails.

Just inquiring if any of you have had any dealings with him, and, if so, what your experience(s) have been, either pro or con...

Still trying to compile more information about him at this time to help someone out that might have been 'stuck'...

Thanks,

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

Re: Just An Inquiry...

I have had no dealings with him, although many others on the other board have dealt with him numerous times. From what I've read, there have been no problems with him lately.

He's a kid (sixteen, I think) and has been buying/selling/trading for a few years. Early on, there were apparently some issues. You can refer your reader to the "Good Traders/Bad Traders" section of the Fireengines.net forum.

i've dealt with him twice.
no problem at all with the cough.

Larry,
the coug has been around for some time and he was the person that was reselling pieces before he had them some time back that created many problems on the other trading board- while some people continue to deal with him and have no problems, I have posted in the past to stay away from dealing with this person(kid) from a past experience. All things add up in my mind to stay clear of this kid because it isn't worth the potential trouble that will come out of the dealing, he really has nothing of great value that you can't get somewhere else from a trouble free person- he sells kitbashes he did himself lately, I see you said he only got $75 for it, if he did top notch work they would sell for far more like some of the regulars that sell them on ebay and the boards. buyer beware with this kid, he can't make any moves(buying or selling) unless he checks with his mother first(from a past experience years ago). tell any of your readers spend your money elsewhere and save the headaches.

Thanks for the information and assistance so far guys, but please continue to post if anything further comes to mind, or, if any of you are now reading this for the very first time...

It seems that this particular transaction involved $250.00 (US) for three FDNY pieces; one was broken upon receipt by the buyer. I was told that Alex swore up and down that he packaged it MORE than carefully, but the buyer had Alex's (motor) oil-stained mailing carton, two pieces of styrofoam, and a small piece of bubble wrap to show for Alex's packing efforts...

The payment was made to PayPal and then to Alex's father's account...PayPal refused to do anything about it (even though at the bottom of the PayPal sheet it says, "...this transaction is subject to buyer Complaint, Chargeback or an Unauthorized Claim. Go to the Resolution Center to resolve this issue...") as PayPal said wasn't an 'official' eBay transaction; it was for some other pieces that Alex offered the buyer (and the buyer than went for it) after an eBay transaction had taken place.

Upon notification of the damage to Alex by the buyer, the buyer told me that Alex IMMEDIATELY e-mailed back, "...PLEASE...PLEASE...DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL..."; and, unfortunately, I've got the hard copies of the e-mails here on my desk to prove it...

I would really like to help the person that's now tied up in this as it looks like he's out the whole $250.00 to this kid, but what do you do when the kid's across the border and you're now dealing with Canada Post...?

As I stated earlier, any further help (if that's possible, or, maybe this is the price of a really good lesson) will really be appreciated...

Again, please continue to post if anything else comes to mind...

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

Thanks to all of you who have assisted me through your e-mails in this situation.

Sad to say, the person who was the topic of this particular post has still not replied to any previous e-mails sent to him (even though in one of his own e-mails to the purchaser he promised to refund a partial payment for the damaged models), so the matter will be turned over to the authorities at Canada Post.

It is extremely unfortunate that things like this have to happen, but I honestly believe the entire purpose for the ATEV Board is to assist the collector of miniature emergency vehicles in any way, shape, or form possible...and, that also includes situations like this.

Again, thanks to all of you who helped out...and, as stated in a previous post, Buyer Beware...

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

The person in question does not seem to post on here, he only seems to be on the "has it shipped yet" board.

Touche'

Can you fill me in on the 'Has It Shipped Yet Board'?

That's one I don't have any knowledge about...

Thanks, guys...

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

Larry....

I think they are refering to my board, www.fireengines.net.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)