Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Code 3 needs to make FDNY's new Rescue 1 !

Code 3 needs to make FDNY's new Rescue 1

FDNY + Pierce what else could better ?

Re: Code 3 needs to make FDNY's new Rescue 1 !

What could be better?

FDNY + Mack R
NEWARK + Mack R
ELIZABETH + Mack R
PROVIDENCE RI + Mack R

I could think of a lot better things for C-3 to make instead of a third FDNY R-1.

Yep,like No NYFD

Judging by the e-mails and phone calls that both Robyn and I keep track of here in our office, this rig (new Pierce R-1) is, by far, the most asked for and requested piece by our readers today.

With that, I've been in touch with two of the most respected and talented kitbashers in the country, and both of them said it would be a cake walk to make one of them...just use a regular Pierce Pumper cab and the latest (back end) version (E-1) of Rescue 1 produced to date by Code 3. Granted, while it's a cake walk for them, it would be a major project for people like me, and my final result wouldn't look even one fifth as good as theirs would...

But...my point is, if THEY can do it, why can't you-know-who?

And, while we're at it, the second, third, and fourth most requested FDNY rigs (as we've kept track of the requests) would be a 4-Door ALF Century Pumper (especially the yellow one, E-65), additional Mack MR/MC Rescue and Haz Mat rigs (the big 10-wheelers), and a 4-Door CF 10-Wheel Tower Ladder.

I will be illustrating kitbashed examples of all of these in my column during this coming year, with a year-end, best-of-the-best come December.

I will also share with you that while out in Los Angeles during my previous trips to Code 3, that I've left behind numerous 8 X 10 color prints with the powers-that-be at the time (including detail shots) of all of these requested rigs, so I guess anything's possible down the line.

Would I like to see them 'professionally' done by Code 3 so all of us could enjoy them in our collections without having to pay kitbashed prices? Absolutely and without any hesitation of a doubt!

But, remember...the kitbashers out there (and I'm referring to the professional, talented and experienced ones who have also been previously mentioned in my column) who do take the time necessary to hand craft an extremely highly detailed and quality model, really EARN each and every dollar they charge (and then some) for their models...and we as collectors should be very thankful that this talent is out there, and that it IS being used to show you-know-who just what could be done if they only wanted to do it...

Bottom line? IMHO, if the professional kitbashers can do it, why not .........?

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

Here we go.

FDNY's new Pierce Rescue 1 would be a great release ! Also Boston's Rescue 1 new Pierce would be great too! what happen to to LA city's USAR's 2, 3 & 88? The O Man said their were going to make them how many years ago? It would be nice if code 3 would tell us how things are going or post some
pictures of some new molds in the workshop

ALF Eagle tiller (rumored LA City)
ALF 900 tiller
E-One Bronto Skylift
San Fran (new dark maroon,) wear is it ?
(Fire and Cop shop release) ?
wears Clark County NV, Gilbert AZ, (assume Quantums) ?
What happen to the Spartans (assume Chicago, Dallas,
Ft. Worth)
KME's (assume LA County) ?

This amateur kitbasher concurs with the two Mikes' (who else could it be?) opinions that FDNY-R1 is very easy to make, even for a relative beginner.

There are a few other amateur but at least equally talented and experienced kitbashers out there who, although not featured in a Toy Trucker column, will likely make at least a couple of the rigs listed above-including FDNY R1. I know that there are several others not mentioned that are in the works.
These projects keep the hobby fresh, but don't do much for the FDNY cottage industry.

Because kitbashing is still only a hobby for amateurs like me, the pieces will likely be for our own collections due a lack of time. However, for those endeavoring to take up this hobby, advice and help is usually only an e-mail away. If the Toy Trucker column does nothing else, I hope it will encourage those who want to try their hand.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Larry Philips says it so well. There are a lot of rigs out there that we who collect would love to see replicated. Just keeping it in the scope of work that Code 3 would do we have the FDNY-Pierce R-1. The collectors that have since the start of C-3 purchased FDNY and followed that department faithfully see this as a necessary natural in the progression. I feel that in the area of classics that C-3 could come up with many of the past rigs that FDNY used in the area of TDA's, satellite hose rigs and so many more.

Larry gets into the potentials that are waiting such as the ALF's, KME's and Spartans that we have all been promised but are yet to materialize. Code 3 is yet to make a new mold this year and I do not think that is a healthy sign.

There are other projects by other manufacturers that have suddenly come to and end or drastic slow-down and that does not look healthy. The end of the tunnel for the American Fire Engine Classics by NMMM and the cancellation of much of the 2007 production list by Corgi with no promise of continuation into 2008. These are all troubling to us collectors.

I am happy to see Larry following these items and keeping us up to date and trying to promote some very popular potentials. Larry is limited and he faces some health challenges that will restrict his mobility and even his day to day ability to put in very much of a day. We wish him the best of luck.

I say Pittsbugh's R-1 is tops on my list

To Doug Parker...

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement for my health and recovery. In regards to writing the TOY TRUCKER column, I would hate to give it up due to health reasons after not missing a column for the past twenty years. And I will also tell you that once I get off all the medications they have me on, maybe my words will make sense once again...

To Steve McGuire, I would love to feature some of your own work in my column, especially if you anticipate doing the Pierce Rescue 1. The FDNY Pierce Rescue 1 'cake walk' that I mentioned in my earlier post was certainly referring to both Mike Adams in Salt Lake City and Mike Gilbert in Connecticut. In getting to know both of these gentlemen personally, both in person and through numerous phone calls and e-mails, I have nothing but extremely high respect for their intelligence, experience, techniques, models, etc. But...what I REALLY hold them in high esteem for, is that both of them will share, in a heartbeat, just how they do things...there are no 'secrets' here, as both are more than willing to share how they do 'this' or how they do 'that', in the hopes that kitbashing can be enjoyed by many in their own home 'shops', which, in turn, will also promote and prolong kitbashing amongst many. And...by sharing with others, what will this lead to? Hopefully, many more (future) Mike Adamses amd many more (future) Mike Gilberts to come.

I also know that in the next eight to ten weeks when I will be 'ordered' to stay down and take it easy at home due to my impending surgery, once I get home (Lord willing) I'm going to get mighty 'brave' with a small hobby screwdriver and a brand new Dremel Tool that Robyn bought for me...and who knows...I just might try my own newly acquired 'skills (thanks to coaches Mike & Mike) and see what Larry's FDNY Pierce Rescue 1 might look like!

But, until then, Steve, if you know of others who are at least attempting to start kitbashing on their own, please let me know who they are or put them in touch with me. Everyone is certainly proud of their own work, and rightfully so...and I would love to feature them in my column, also.

I'm sure many of us started out with plastic models kits way back when, whether they be airplanes, boats & ships, three-in-one vehicle kits, etc. And boy, were we proud of our work until we got to see the other kid's work who lived down the block. BAM! All of a sudden our models didn't look that good any more, but, for most of us, that was the INCENTIVE to get better and bring ourselves up to the 'next' level, whatever level that was...and it could include additional detail painting, using decal solvents to get the decals to snug down more, etc. But it still was a learning process, and it brought us to where we are today.

I don't know about some of you, but I still have a few AMT and Aurora Fire Apparatus models in one of my showcases that I put together, painted and detailed some forty years ago and also remained intact all these past years...but then I also have numerous unbuilt kits that maybe 'someday' I'll attempt to tackle again. All I know is that when I sit down at my modeling card table that's set up in our family room, all the world is right once again, even for the short period of time when I'm at that small table whether it be with decals or kitbashed parts in my hands to create something of 'my own', just like you mentioned in your post, Steve, and "...will likely be for our own collections...".

The bottom line...I hope that none of you reading my previous posts got the impression I thought that kitbashers who have not yet 'arrived' and reached today's level of 'Mike & Mike' were not worthy of my column. Nothing could be farther from the truth. But what really pulls my air horn chain (if you want to put it that way) are those new and inexperienced kitbashers out there who very easily buy a reduced price Code 3 model at an outlet store, just to change the decals...then TRY and pass themselves off as one of the 'pros' WITHOUT paying the dues to get there in the first place...and the 'dues' I'm referring to, folks, is simply the element of t-i-m-e, and the t-i-m-e it took the pros over (and through) the years to get where they are today. Their work should be something all of us hopefully aspire for and hope to one day do ourselves, but, until that 'day' comes when WE get there, give the 'pros' their due...and learn, learn, learn from them whenever and wherever we can.

Finally, I absolutely cannot thank both 'Mike and Mike' enough for taking the time out of their busy schedules to provide, through the pages of my present and future columns, their own priceless experience with my readers, and, secondly, to further provide the illustrations necessary to assist future kitbashers in getting to their own 'next level.' Hopefully, that will make better and more 'refined' kitbashers out of all of us!

Time for more medication...see you in my column.

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

CODE 3 JUST MAKE IT ALREADY !

I wouls still like to see a Crown snorkel or tiller... there are so much cool rigs they could di with the crown mold, but it just wanished from the face of the earth....

Smat

Larry Phillips has hit the nail squarely on the head about kit bashing and kit bashers. There are a bunch of excellent kit bashers out there whose work is rarely seen in any forum. This may be due to a number of factors but oddly enough I believe many are secretive about their work because they believe it's just kid's stuff, screwing around with toy fire engines and the like. For years my mother and brothers believed that about my work but when I built a Boulder, CO. Pierce Tower for my mother last Christmas, that all changed. Their first reaction was "There's no fire truck like that in Boulder". That all changed when they discovered that indeed there was a rig just like that in Boulder, complete with a CU Buffalo Mascot on the sides of the ladder. Now I enjoy their full support and pride in what I build.
And the point is that kit bashing is not a solo endeavour. The greatest reward I've received from kit bashing is the number of new friends I've made. It'a not a competition, it's a group effort and a team sport. I'm constantly soliciting advice from other kit bashers and freely giving of my own advice as well. I'm continually challanged to build better pieces and pay more attention to detail. At some point a kit basher realizes that what's being created is not a toy but rather a work of art.
Just 'cause it's not a painted "pitcher" or a rock sculpture or "none of that fancy toe dancin' " does not mean it ain't art!
If you're an experianced kit basher or perhaps a newbie, get some support! Ask for help, show your stuff around on the net, visit local fire stations and show your work. If the local fire department has an office, offer to display your pieces there for all to enjoy. Much of my collection is at the Utah Firefighters Museum as well as a few fire stations around Salt Lake. Making my home a museum is not one of my goals and I'd rather have my work scattered all over Salt Lake and for that matter, in the hands of collectors all over the world.
One last word here. A lot of kit bashes are posted on various forums and albums on the net and for the most part, I refrain from commenting on them in public, good or bad. But I will sent personal emails to the builders and I will be happy to offer whatever advice and comments on work whenever I can. I'm fond of saying "My builds are expensive but my advice is free". Bottom line is that I'd much rather see a kit basher grow in their skills than to build myself. If I could make a living just teaching, I'd be utterly content with my life. But make no mistake, I'm loving kit bashing and the opportunities it has offered me.

I couldn't agree more with Mike Adam's comments. Both kit bashing like Mike does, and model building like Charlie Rowley are art forms in the purest sense of the word. In fact work like theirs is more of an art form than some of the 'paintings' I see at art galleries near my home that are praised and priced beyond common sense. I have never had the priviledge to see Mike's work in person, but I am fortunate to have several of Charlie's models in my collection and to me they are better than any Rembrandt or Piccaso.
To me that is one of the great things about this hobby, to see fire apparatus that I love reproduced in miniature by artists with the same appreciation for these magnificant machines.

Hey Larry (P), sent you an email.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)