Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Sytsma

John Sytsma who was one of the class people in the fire hobby, passed away this morning in Salt Lake City. John is best known for the books he wrote on the history of the Ahrens-Fox fire engines, and a couple of books of photos of fire engines working at fire scenes. He also enjoyed models of Ahrens-Foxes.
He was a fine gentleman who will be missed.

Re: John Sytsma

HE DID ALOT TO PROMOTE THE HOBBY BOB . ALOT OF THESE BOARD MEMBERS ARE PROBABLY TOO YOUNG TO REMEMBER HIM,BUT HIS WORK WILL LIVE ON

Bob......Sorry to hear of John's passing. I only met him once, but enjoyed talking with him on the fone. When I was in Salt Lake City a few years ago, I spoke with him, but he said his health was such that he wasn't up to having visitors. Lot of folks may not know that John lived in Ohio for years and was the president of the Locomotive Engineer's Union. Have all his Fox books, which are among my prized fire books. Wonder what will happen to his reference material, hope it goes to the SPAAMFAA archives or some other worthwile organization where it is available to researchers.

John and I traded color apparatus slides for years, starting in the early '70's. Many of my own photos appear in his books, and I also have every one of his great books (which now have become classics) in my home library...

John was a gentleman's gentleman...and would be the first to offer his help to someone that needed it...whether it be for reference material, or, to dupe or copy something from his own collection just to spread the enjoyment of the hobby...

John was from the era prior to computers, fax machines, voice mail, cell phones, and all the other modern 'conveniences' we take for granted today.

But, he, like many of us now 'old timers', had his yearly copy of the 'VF', and that was all one needed to be in the 'in crowd' of this wonderful hobby.

Rest in Peace, John...you were a wonderful mentor to us all...

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)