Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Repaint, but at least it's Boston and not FDNY!

HO HUM...Just why I didnt keep my membership...Last thing I bought from them was Super pumper set...And they have got out of hand with thier prices.....

FDNY-BFD, same thing. LOL

Enough already!!!!!! In 1997 there were 5 each of LA, Philly, Houston, FDNY, Honolulu & Louisville. All the same mould, all repaints. In 1998 there were the Suburbans, 5 each for LA, Boston, FDNY, Newark, plus 5 Denver, Hollywood, Winterpark, 6 Mesa & 10 FDNY of Seagrave or Pierce engines. Also 3 each TDA's for DC, Honolulu & Baltimore. In 1999 & 2000 it was more of the same with Heavy Rescues, Rear Mount Ladders, Aerialscopes Etal. There was NO
B!tc#ing about repaints with all the repaints then. Some people don't get it. To cover the mould costs and profit there IS going to be repaints. Live with it.

I think what has happened is that back in 1997 when Code 3 first came out with their models, everyone was "forgiving", if you will, of Code 3 coming out with 5 of the same rigs but with different company numbers. Just my 2-cents here.

Now-days we're spoiled (including me!), since Code 3 has come a long way over the past 10 years as far as how detailed their models have become. Combine that with several suggestions over the years as to what rigs we wanted to see come out in the future (Spartans, Maxims, Hahns, etc., just to name a few), and not seeing these models come to fruition, and instead we see mega-FDNY releases and several other "repaints", and you have a bunch of unhappy folks.

Yes, we can safely call 2007 "The Year of Code 3 Repaints" or whatever you'd like to refer to it as. And now since the price of metal has gone up, naturally Code 3 has to pass that on to the consumer. It's just business, unfortunately.

Personally I do not see Code 3 coming out with a new mould this year and I feel it's due to the price of metal going up and Code 3 not feeling that it's worth coming out with a brand new model. They're cutting back just like everyone else.

What's aggravating as well is their "club." It used to be worth it to belong to it. You got a collectors book once a year or so and new rigs were just around the corner and club members were offered a sneak peak at the future releases in the newsletters. Now they've cut back so far back on these aformentioned fringe benefits that it isn't worth belonging to their "club."

I still feel that Code 3 is in dire straits and won't be around in a few years. Again, just my 2 cents.

The collectors themselves created this dying monster. The biggest mistake Code 3 ever made was in "listening" to its customers (or at least, those highly vocal few) and responding to the litany of complaints and whining.

How many of the whiners and complainers actually spent real money on Code 3 products? I enjoyed them and eagerly bought them up until that ALF Century abortion. That was the end for me, and a few other collectors as well, I suspect.

If they kept their releases behind closed doors until they were ready for ordering and had never started up that ****ed "forum," they'd probably be in much better shape.

My brother-in-law works for Mattel and has told me recently that for the most part the industry feels the diecast market is flat right now. The rise in cost of materials has reduced the profit margin and they know that they are at near limit what they can charge for the diecast before they price themselves out. Other than Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars, Mattel is limiting what larger scale cars they produce and others such as Ertl have dropped lines altogether. I can see why Code 3 is looking to get as much mileage out of existing molds now. Money that at one time may have been spent on R&D may now have to go for materials. I'm also thinking we'll be lucky if we see even one new mold this year.

Plus Fun Rise is looking to expand their horizons in the toy market and the recent Disney license they landed will hlp them do that to some extent.

To JM82....Do you think the Code 3 fire line will tank and they will keep the Star Wars line alive or do you think both will go down the tubes all together? Personally I think they (within 3 years) will abandon the fireline--maybe do an FDNY Diamond Plate once a year for the hell of it and because they already have the molds--and just focus on Star Wars. My 2 pennies.......

John A., it's hard to say. What's more popular, the Star Wars line or the fire apparatus line? I know that science fiction is very popular but I don't know how well the Code 3 Star Wars line is doing. I don't keep track of what sells and what doesn't, but then again, is it cheaper to produce that line vs. the fire apparatus line? What are the material costs to produce Star Wars stuff vs. fire trucks? I'm not sure if the Star Wars line uses a lot of metal, or is it more resin/plastic/whatever?

The Star Wars has hit the Clearance Stores as well.(Tuesday Morning)
It looks like a Toss-Up

Or, as our British and Commonwealth friends might say, a "toss-off."

In some cases, its not even worth a toss off

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)