Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dodge Chargers

I think they are bulky and ugly looking. The CHP is looking into buying some instead of the CV's.

Re: Dodge Chargers

I rented one for 3 weeks while I was over in the states, and I think they are a great car, and inside, I had more room than inside my american mercury marquis back in the UK.

I like the Chargers...I think they have an agressive, intimidating look to them. They have also been gaining in popularity with police dept's around here rapidly. my hometown recently bought 3 of them after pulling some brand new Crown Vic's off the road after a fatal (civillian fatality) crash involved one of the cruisers in the batch of 2006's they bought. Apparently, the CV's would randomly accelerate, and it was felt that may have contributed to the crash.

I still like the Crown Vic. though even though a lot of departments are getting tired of them.

I own a 2001 Grand Marquis, and like it very much, but I have also rented a Charger before and do agree there is a lot more room, and much better pickup. The only complaint I have is the lack of visiblity out the rear side windows. It can be difficult to look over your shoulder pulling away from the curb or pulling out of parking lots.

I've drien the so called "Hot" HEMI Charger with the black vinyl stickers on rear fenders and hood. This was a friends car, so it isn't some run down rental with a poor tuneup. To tell you the truth, I wasn't impressed. My Mustang GT has better acceleration, and was much more responsive. Plus the Charger handled like a family car.

Sure, you compare it next to a Murcury or a CV, and it should handle better, as its a midsize and smaller than the fullsize cop issues. But place it next to a Mustang, and its Grandma's ride with tacky decals.

I think there has been too much hype using the HEMI name, and the vehicle just does not live up to the old namesake. No wonder Doctor Z packed up and went back to the Fatherland with his tail between his legs.

Sure, you compare it next to a Murcury or a CV, and it should handle better, as its a midsize and smaller than the fullsize cop issues. But place it next to a Mustang, and its Grandma's ride with tacky decals.

Sorry Chuck, but you're very much mistaken. The Charger is not a midsize, it is a full size sedan with a wheelbase that is actually 6 inches LONGER than the CV (120 v. 114) and the body is nearly the same length (200" v. 212"). The longer wheelbase allowed for better placement of the wheels (far better stability and handling), and Dodge was able to cut 12" of length that on the CV is mostly useless overhang on either end. The CV is only 3" wider than the Charger (77" v. 74"). These facts are all easy to verify.

I know this as not only do I drive both CV's and Chargers in my department, but I have been spec'g out all the vehicle's my department has bought since 1985. I'd hope that at 300 hp, your GT would be quicker... I can guaranty it doesn't weigh 4100 lbs. (not counting a couple hundred pounds of police equipment including; lights, radios, console, cage, pushbars, etc. etc.)

I've got nothing to complain about though. Despite being over 2 tons, the Charger I've been assigned to for the last six months boots up to 60 mph in about 6 seconds. I've topped well over 140 mph in her, something even the best CV could never do. She outhandles any U.S. police sedan ever produced (and quite a few sport coupes, too), turns and stops on a dime and has an amazingly small turn radius.

Due to the styling, the looks are deceiving. It may not LOOK like a full-size sedan, but the facts are it IS a full-size sedan by all accounts. It is also the best police vehicle I have driven in over 24 years as a police officer - bar none.

Do I like they styling? From the b-pillar forward, yes. From the b-pillar back... I think it's hideous. The visibility is attrocious thanks to those small side windows and extremely sloped rear windshield (and if you have equipment on the rear deck, just use the mirrors, 'cause looking out the back is useless!).

And, oh yeah, not even a Mustang GT has been able to outrun my Charger yet (one tried). They may have pulled ahead of me a bit, but when they're insufficient cooling systems failed, they were nothing more than smoking tow-truck fodder, while my Charger's temp gauge was nice and cool

Mustang's are beautiful, great cars, but comparing them to a full-size sedan like the Charger is comparing apples to oranges.

Yea, what he said!

Yea, what he said!

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)