Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DISMANTLING MACK F CABS

Okay, I've disconnected the Mack F cabs from the trailers, and removed the screw from the base of the frame at the rear of the cab. Yet I can not figure out how to release the parts. There are so many small detail parts, I don't want to place undue pressure and break them off. I'm planning on stripping, priming, and repainting cab, then substituting a dual steer DCP frame. The platform will be reconfigured to hold a crane from a Norscot (1/50th scale) CAT Service truck

Has anyone taken one of these apart, and if so, could you please give me some tips. I'm stumped.

Chuck

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Re: DISMANTLING MACK F CABS

Chuck,

I suggest that you contact Ken Martin at kwhot110@hotmail.com. He has bought and dismembered something like five SPS sets. If anyone would know, it would be him.

Re: DISMANTLING MACK F CABS

Thanks Steve. These things appeared to be glued together. Even back-plate to stabilizers seem to be glued to frame.

HOW TO DISMANTLE MACK F CABS

MACK F with Monitor:
1. Remove both bottom screws.
2. With pliers, gently pull outward both side stabilizer housings.Once free, mounting pins will be visible.
3. With small screwdriver or metal pumch, punch out cab through forward screw hole from bottom (cab is glued into socket). This should free cab, and it can be "wiggled" off frame.
4. With 3/64ths drill, drill out the two platform mounts from the bottom of the frame (visible as round bumps on bottom near rear of platform).
5. Spread out stabilizer housings with wedges (each has two pins that fit into frame sides). Platform should come free at this point.
6. With pliers, pull interior from cab from bottom using the two rails as a grip point.

Other Mack F Cab:
About same methods, only pump/generator platform pulls off after cab is removed.

Remove detail parts with awl or drill bit from interior. Cab can be repainted at this point.

Both cabs will fit on a DCP frame with very slight modifications (cut appoximately 3/8 to 1/2" from front). Or Code 3 frame can be cut, and different rear section (rescue, pumper, ladder) can be spliced.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)