Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Code 3 depreciation

I was going to say the same thing Alan in Richmond mentioned with regard to the "permission" to use factor. That may be true in some cases, but I'm sure not too many departments would say no.
On another note, as some have mentioned other departments to do; I have sent a number of emails to Code 3 about a specialty piece. Do you remember when they were doing the St Patrick's Day pieces, (green)? In my email i suggested that they look at the Fitchburg, WI fire rescue. A real unit, and really green. It's a nice looking unit that would make a great addition to that theme, and they already have the mold. How much easier can it be?

Since Chris Stratton brought up the "green" units, About six months ago, I saw a good looking Sutphen for the Verona, Va. Volunteer Dept leaving an accident scene on north I-81. There are probably many green units available so I don't see why the "special" units couldn't be done unless COde 3 feels there wouldn't be a big selling item. WHo knows what their philosophy is any more.

Speaking of green, the most beautiful equipment in green I have seen is the Avenel FD, in NJ. (District 5, Woodbridge Township) on US 1&9 @ Avenel Street. Gloss black over gloss lime, with black mid-stripe. Collectors that ordinarily don't like lime would probably be tempted to get a model of one. C3 could set up and crank them out with assets they already have. The link goes to the main page. Scroll down to Avenel and there is a long list of photos of their equipment.

http://mhswebtvprinting.tripod.com/woodbridgetownemergserv.html

I'm not even going near the why's and why nots of Code 3 's decisions....like most here I get the ones I like for myself and not because there is a rush for it. I am happy with what I have and don't fret over the ones I don't have.

Then again I could place many posts here on the progress as it is sent from Code 3 via road, rail and foot. Then give a half arsed description of it when it arrives

As for Code 3...well Chuck has been more than vindicated for a long time, If I remember correctly he was the first to recognise their unethical behaviour and say so, I have the utmost respect for him.

Now as for their value...if you are purchasing these things with the intent of making lots of money then you are going to be poor for the rest of your life. You are thinking poor and need some serious investment advice...the only people getting any sort of wealth out of Code 3 models are Code 3 themselves. You know...those people who send out endless repaints of the same model...usually FDNY but they are up to Boston now...OH!, the hoses are a different colour and the mirrors are different but it is still the basic model I purchased a few years back...so it won't be coming here, neither will the ladder as it is going to be a repaint also.

I must have woken in an alternate reality?

Vindicated? My God, are you actually saying I have been correct in my rants over the last several years? Have I woken up and somehow touched my quantum mirror and been transported to an alternate reality? Call Sam and General O'Niell (2 Ls) and ask them to access the Stargate, and come rescue me. LOL

From the beginning, when I was too late to acquire a Collectors Club Engine 98 from the "Others", I had strived to check their web site Friday mornings for a clue to "whats new". At first I purchased two of each, just to make sure that the model I received was in perfect condition. Later I purchased two of each hoping to receive a "Presidents Proof" (oh, what a scam that was, along with the flag on the window of the Virginia pumper). I also purchased two to assist my friends who missed out (but most wanted a discount [those chapskates], so I have now two of each).

I was such a loyal customer, I was flabergasted when they started with their "Customer is Always Wrong" approach. I knew it was unitentional, but they did not seem to get the hint from all the postings. As a matter of fact, they appeared to get indignant that we, the lowly purchasers, wanted a minor say in their marketing.

I never complained that a Federal Q was 1/60th, not 1/64th, or the cab shape was incorrect, or maybe the vehicle type was off, as I can't tell ****zu from Sharpee. I did get disilusioned. I interpreted their donations to worthy causes more to corporate advertising, than to doing a good deed. I felt wronged, abandoned, violated, and bent-over (OUCH).

Now I have a closet of unopened and sleeved early additions. Yes, I would have liked to sell them after ten years and see a tidy profit, but that will not happen. No one wants to collect the origonal stuff for the memories, as those memories of good times are over, and Code 3 Collectibles has about the same good standing (if not lower) as the Major Oil Companies with once loyal customers.

Was it initial success capturing the niche market? Was it reaching the top of the diecast market too soon? Was it placing the Idiot Brother-in-Law in charge of Marketing and Customer Relations? Was it Demonic possession? We'll never know.

Chuck
Oracle of Delphi "Diecast Division"

Anybody in need of a Code 3 Watch???

Sure, how about an even trade for my "Other" Club umbrella? LOL

I still have the umbrella that I got at the Westchester Collectibles Code 3 day at oh so long ago, when Code 3 was at its zenith. It works great-as long as you don't try to close it.

As for depreciation, I am in the process of liquidating my fairly small (but rare) Code 3 FDNY contingent. While I have great affection and respect for the real FDNY, I want all of the Code 3 FDNY stuff off my shelves and out of my collection. IMO, FDNY collecting has become an entirely seperate hobby (or fetish, depending on your perspective). I'm finding that most of these pieces have appreciated in price considerably, so like many before me I am taking advantage of that fact.

So far, I've taken some of my net and purchased a nice wristwatch for myself, sort of an early Father's Day present.

Cree, Chuck. Cree.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)